BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BMW charged me $25 for an oil filter and $2 for the crush washer for my k1200S through parts department. . over the years I’ve payed $13+ and it’s steadily going upwards but $25 is getting expensive.
I get the current inflation but it’s still a oil filter ??!!

Any other options out there that match original equipment quality that others have used or recommend ?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Automotive tire Product Camera accessory Camera lens Automotive design

I use these on my k12R and my HP2 sport. High initial cost but as you can see it doesn’t take long to recoup the cost

·
Registered
2009 K1300GT
19 Posts
I've used both the Mahle OC619 and HiFlo HF160 on my K1300GT. The HiFlo looks like an off brand, but they have TUeV approval. Website is also helpful. TUeV is basically the Technical Oversight Association in Germany and they don't play games. Nothing rolls down the road or track without TUeV inspections. BMW doesn't make oil filters; they specify the requirements and contract them from companies that specialize in them.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,264 Posts
I use these all the time for my K13 bikes mahle 0c619, also for most of the newer R bikes. They used to be 9$ but you know how it is going now. I buy 6 at a time. Supplier for BMW

·
Registered
225 Posts
Interesting video from Fortnine

I use HiFlo HF164, both they, and Mahle seem to be the most popular.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
545 Posts
I use the Mahle C306 on my K1300GT. It's the shorter version filter that is used on the K1600 and it shows on the BMW parts fiche for K1300 also. I don't have to loosen the gear shift assembly to remove the filter.

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
93 Posts
For both air and oil filters I use the original Mahle type filters. Usually pick them up two at a time off of ebay or whoever is cheaper. Last oil filter I think was around $17.60 with tax and free shipping. Same with the crush washer. I found a BMW part supplier that would sell me a pack of ten for $10.00. Typically I'll get the part number from Max BMW online fiche and search the internet or ebay by part number.

·
Registered
2005 BMW K1200S
231 Posts
I've been using K&N oil filters since the first Z1 in 1973. The welded nut makes life easier and was a big step up from the CB750 aluminum.
The cone shaped K&N air filter fits perfectly and form fit and finish is impresive.
BMW lliked the design so much they stole it for the K1300

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
93 Posts
Does anyone know who actually makes BMW oil filters?
Or does BMW actually manufacture them?
When I opened the BMW box for both air and oil filters I found Mahle parts inside and used those part numbers in my search. I learned this from my Ducati. When I opened up my Ducati spark plug box ($25 each at the time) I found a Champion spark plug inside. Then I followed the Champion part number to save some bucks. $9.00 each from Sparkplug Universe (sic). Actually had a parts guy tell me the Ducati labelled ones were superior. :rolleyes: Also, When I replaced my air box temperature sensor I took the part number off the original part and searched the internet for replacements. If you get this same sensor out of the motorcycle catalog it was priced over $120. But since BMW uses this same part in many of their autos I got a new one for about $35. Pays to do a little research. So Mahle would be your answer and your original parts should be labelled as such.

·
Registered
67 Posts
BMW charged me $25 for an oil filter and $2 for the crush washer for my k1200S through parts department. . over the years I’ve payed $13+ and it’s steadily going upwards but $25 is getting expensive.
I get the current inflation but it’s still a oil filter ??!!

Any other options out there that match original equipment quality that others have used or recommend ?
When I opened the BMW box for both air and oil filters I found Mahle parts inside and used those part numbers in my search. I learned this from my Ducati. When I opened up my Ducati spark plug box ($25 each at the time) I found a Champion spark plug inside. Then I followed the Champion part number to save some bucks. $9.00 each from Sparkplug Universe (sic). Actually had a parts guy tell me the Ducati labelled ones were superior. :rolleyes: Also, When I replaced my air box temperature sensor I took the part number off the original part and searched the internet for replacements. If you get this same sensor out of the motorcycle catalog it was priced over $120. But since BMW uses this same part in many of their autos I got a new one for about $35. Pays to do a little research. So Mahle would be your answer and your original parts should be labelled as such.
I have used this site with all my oil filters

·
Registered
11 Posts
Slightly off-tangent I purchased the K&N oil filter (for the nut) and Motul 7100 5w40 engine oil in preparation for the K13s annual service at the Motorrad dealer. They informed me they would categorically not install a non-BMW oil filter, and the oil only from a sealed, unopened container (and of the recommended viscosity). I had to return the filter. I've used both Mahle and HiFlo filters on my r1200s with no issue.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Slightly off-tangent I purchased the K&N oil filter (for the nut) and Motul 7100 5w40 engine oil in preparation for the K13s annual service at the Motorrad dealer. They informed me they would categorically not install a non-BMW oil filter, and the oil only from a sealed, unopened container (and of the recommended viscosity). I had to return the filter. I've used both Mahle and HiFlo filters on my r1200s with no issue.
Yeah, dealers are like that - one can see why - it does avoid ambiguous situations and arguments (I do know of some people with expensive bikes who buy supposedly big-brand oil, filters, plugs etc from ebay rather than from properly assured supply chains. Sure you're not one of them but guess dealers have to set a policy and stick to it.

Related but tangential, I've just posted this re main dealer rip-offs: Main Dealer rip-offs

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you go to the dealer for oil change then you should use there bmw oil and filter,
if your doing your own oil change then use whatever you desire.

To me it’s almost like going to a restaurant and bringing your own food for them to cook.!

I side with the dealer with this policy since they are the factory representative and can’t or just won’t put in whatever you bring in a jug and then warranty there work. Not to say there isn’t better oil out there at better prices however that should be a DIY service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts