BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you go to the dealer for oil change then you should use there bmw oil and filter,
if your doing your own oil change then use whatever you desire.

To me it’s almost like going to a restaurant and bringing your own food for them to cook.!

I side with the dealer with this policy since they are the factory representative and can’t or just won’t put in whatever you bring in a jug and then warranty there work. Not to say there isn’t better oil out there at better prices however that should be a DIY service.
Agree. Some car places I use will allow me to bring my own oil (I prefer to stick to specific high-end brands) and simply charge "corkage" but if I was a car or bike dealer, unless I knew the customer extremely well, I'd only use the stuff I'd sourced, simply for the reputational protection and to save arguments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you go to the dealer for oil change then you should use there bmw oil and filter,
if your doing your own oil change then use whatever you desire.

To me it’s almost like going to a restaurant and bringing your own food for them to cook.!

I side with the dealer with this policy since they are the factory representative and can’t or just won’t put in whatever you bring in a jug and then warranty there work. Not to say there isn’t better oil out there at better prices however that should be a DIY service.

I meant it more as a warning to others: in the past, as long as the bike was out of warranty then my dealer used to allow aftermarket installs (oil, oil filter, air filter) but it's only recently the policy has changed. My car is the same, the last garage I used said they could only use their own supplied oil and parts due to insurance concerns. I think its fair enough - when I do my own servicing I'll source my parts accordingly. I was just unprepared for the change in policy at the dealer and wanted to share the experience.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bring Money With = BMW

Filters were made by a wide variety of contractors over the years. WIX, Mann, Maher, etc, etc.

On occasion Suppliers will have 6 pack Sales/Promotions @ 10USD per filter including crush copper washer.

EME seems to be a good Jobber for most BMW consumables.

Cheers

Automotive tire Font Material property Cylinder Auto part

21 - 23 of 23 Posts