BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 K1300GT has not had an oil change since December 2015, albeit that was only 2,000 miles ago.

I thought I would start with fresh oil and filter.

What do people recommend?

Is the K&N 160 a good filter to use?

The manual suggests Castrol Power 1 Racing 5W-40, which seems only to be available in 1 litre bottles. Is this the best oil, or is there a better alternative?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I use Castrol Racing 4T 5w40 which comes in quarts (Autozone). As for oil filters, I get mine from Beemerboneyard.com - Mahle oil filters.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have seen warnings to avoid fully synthetic oils in my 2007 K1200GT. The concern is that my K1200GT (and other "slant" engine BMW motorcycles) have a wet clutch. Fully synthetic oils may cause clutch slip in those wet clutch motorcycles. Mobil 1 was citied as an example. There was also discussion about whether the additives that they use have something to do with wet clutches slipping.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen warnings to avoid fully synthetic oils in my 2007 K1200GT. The concern is that my K1200GT (and other "slant" engine BMW motorcycles) have a wet clutch. Fully synthetic oils may cause clutch slip in those wet clutch motorcycles. Mobil 1 was citied as an example. There was also discussion about whether the additives that they use have something to do with wet clutches slipping.
As far as i know the k1300gt has a wet clutch. BMW recommend Castrol Power 1 Racing 5w40 which is a fully synthetic.

I am going to give the Westway Lubricants a try.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
As far as i know the k1300gt has a wet clutch. BMW recommend Castrol Power 1 Racing 5w40 which is a fully synthetic. I am going to give the Westway Lubricants a try.
Yes, the K1300GT has a wet clutch. So do comparable K1200, K1300, and K1600 GT, S, and R models from the 2005+ era. Apparently some full synthetic oils work well with the slant-4 engines. That's obvious, since BMW is recommending the Castrol Power 1 Racing 5w40 per @roadwarrior. I know that Mobil 1 has issues with slipping clutches. Perhaps it is the graphite additive.

(I don't know about the clutch in the K1200LT, which has the older "brick" engine design.)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've used four different oils in mY 08 K1200GT: the stock BMW/Castrol (Overpriced) that it came with, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Liqui-Moly Syn from Beemerboneyard (German), and now Shell Rotella 5w-40 T6 Syn. from Walmart for really cheap (like $24/gallon)!

I have never noticed any difference in shifting and the annoying squeal/sqwark noise when releasing clutch from stop has alway been there. The fact seems to be that these clutch/shifter/transmission designs are just like shifting a tractor. Clunky and embarrassing. Yes, you can screw with double clutching and preloading, but really?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've used four different oils in mY 08 K1200GT: the stock BMW/Castrol (Overpriced) that it came with, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Liqui-Moly Syn from Beemerboneyard (German), and now Shell Rotella 5w-40 T6 Syn. from Walmart for really cheap (like $24/gallon)!

I have never noticed any difference in shifting and the annoying squeal/sqwark noise when releasing clutch from stop has alway been there. The fact seems to be that these clutch/shifter/transmission designs are just like shifting a tractor. Clunky and embarrassing. Yes, you can screw with double clutching and preloading, but really?
Ah thanks for your input and experience. If and when I change oil in mine (09 K1300GT) I will most likely use my local NAPA offering. Full synthetic, AFAIK most of their products are Valvoline. In any event synthetics have come a long way and I don't think I'll have any issues.

I just changed oil in my car to 5W-40 NAPA full synth. (04 Mazda 3) with a crapload of miles on it.

Greg

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have used AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil since I got my 2007 K1200GT 62,000 miles and never an issue with the clutch or shifting.

BTW, You can sign up with Amsoil as a "Preferred Customer" and get 25% off retail.

And you can put my name in as the referring customer if you like :)

Have a great day!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts