BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slipping clutch on my K1200RS so I have started taking the bike apart to get to the clutch. As I removed the gearbox from the clutch, the clutch housing was full of about a 1/2 cup of fluid. It looks to me like dirty motor oil since it doesn't have the same smell or "feel" of clutch fluid. My question is, how did it get in there?

I know there is an o-ring on the engine output shaft that could be leaking, or could it instead be the rear main engine seal? How do I tell which one needs to be replaced?

On a side note, now that I have the starter out, was there some part of it that I need to clean? I seem to remember being told that.

Thanks!
Tarren Shaw

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
It's a dry clutch, so your term "clutch fluid" is a bit confusing. If you have oil in the clutch area, it's bad. It's either transmission fluid from the input shaft seal failing, or motor oil from the rear engine seal.

Unless (of course) it's brake/hydraulic fluid from a failing clutch slave cylinder, but you'd notice this by the bike "moving on it's own" when stopped and the clutch pulled in. To make things more interesting, brake fluid will adversely affect the engine and input shaft seals, causing them to leak as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the confusion. When I said "clutch fluid" I was refering to the hydraulic clutch slave cyl. I really think its motor oil and not gear oil as the smell and viscosity are more similar to motor oil.

Is the engine seal the same as the o-ring that everyone is telling me I need to replace?

Tarren Shaw

·
Registered
150 Posts
Search on clutch, transmission, velomaxx. I've gone through most of this recently and posted some on it. The o-ring and seals are different. I posted a parts list too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked all the other posts about clutch slippage and that helped some, esp the list of parts.

I finally got the entire clutch out last night and the o-ring seal on the back of the clutch assembly was pretty mangled. All the evidence points to oil getting past this o-ring and into the clutch that way and not from the rear main seal of the engine or gearbox. There is a distinct "spray pattern" of oil being flung out of the inside of the clutch and not on the outside of the clutch plates as I would have expected if the rear main seal had failed. Does this sound logical to y'all?

I'm going to check with a BMW shop when I order my parts to make sure I have my diagnosis correct.

Thanks!

Tarren Shaw

1 - 8 of 8 Posts