BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
the oil check window on my K1200GT (classic), is unreadable. I'm going to do an oil change in the coming weeks, just wondered if anyone had this before and know how to clean it. Even a bright torch shined at it makes no difference.

Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drive the bike for a reasonably long time. When the cases get up to full temp this will clear.
So a 33mile ride home from work last night, checked when I pulled up and then checked 15mins after, still can't see anything. Tried to take a picture of it to show what I mean but that did not come out well. It's not a milky colour, just dark and cannot see a level of oil. So it's either...
a) empty. Doubt that, otherwise I'd have bigger problems and at least a light on the dash
b) Too full. Not sure about that, and I don't think that is the case.
c) The glass simply has black oil or something on it that means I simply cannot see the level. I can see the red circle, but cannot see the aluminium behind the glass that you normally can see when it's clear.

so I need to find out a way of cleaning it when I next service it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
K1200RS
29 Posts
Hi all
the oil check window on my K1200GT (classic), is unreadable. I'm going to do an oil change in the coming weeks, just wondered if anyone had this before and know how to clean it. Even a bright torch shined at it makes no difference.

Cheers.
Is it milky coloured or just dark? If dark, it could just be dirty oil. If milky, possible head gasket issue. Do the oil change sooner than later - filter and oil. Refill to specs and see if that changes the picture. If it does, problem solved. If not, at least you're running clean oil.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it milky coloured or just dark? If dark, it could just be dirty oil. If milky, possible head gasket issue. Do the oil change sooner than later - filter and oil. Refill to specs and see if that changes the picture. If it does, problem solved. If not, at least you're running clean oil.

Good luck.
It is dark, I am hoping it is just dark oil. It's sat for a few years with no oil change, so I'm planning a service anyway. Just don't have time yet, it's no issue as I do not use her every day, she is a hobby bike these days!
I just wondered if there was any way I could clean that window from the oil filter aperture or something.

·
Registered
K1200RS
29 Posts
It is dark, I am hoping it is just dark oil. It's sat for a few years with no oil change, so I'm planning a service anyway. Just don't have time yet, it's no issue as I do not use her every day, she is a hobby bike these days!
I just wondered if there was any way I could clean that window from the oil filter aperture or something.
The detergents in the oil should clean the glass. I'm thinking it's just aged & dirty.

Reactions: styleruk

·
Registered
36 Posts
So a 33mile ride home from work last night, checked when I pulled up and then checked 15mins after, still can't see anything. Tried to take a picture of it to show what I mean but that did not come out well. It's not a milky colour, just dark and cannot see a level of oil. So it's either...
a) empty. Doubt that, otherwise I'd have bigger problems and at least a light on the dash
b) Too full. Not sure about that, and I don't think that is the case.
c) The glass simply has black oil or something on it that means I simply cannot see the level. I can see the red circle, but cannot see the aluminium behind the glass that you normally can see when it's clear.

so I need to find out a way of cleaning it when I next service it. Any thoughts?
In order for the water in the oil film to clear it has to reach over 100 C for a good long time.
In the heat of summer on a dry day it would take at least two hours at speed.

SHort hauls lead to condensation in the crankcase as well as the exhaust.
In winter here you often see a really nasty film of oil and water sitting in the valvetrain on cars.

you might try a hair dryer with caution. not a heat gun!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all

Cheers.
Replace the glass, it is a simple procedure, there is a you tube video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts