BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an ongoing issue with Cliff's BMW regarding an oil leak from between the clutch housing and engine. The bike was "repaired" for an oil leak last August in which all of the transmission seals were replaced. I asked them to replace the rear main seal as well but I was told that the seal was "seating well with no cracks - when I see this, I don't touch it". Within 100 miles of getting the bike back, I noticed a collection of oil along the seam where the rear of the engine meets the bell housing. I was told this was "normal weeping" and no problem existed (after some persistent inquiries, Cliff himself got very unpleasant with me). I let it go for a few months and after about 400 miles since the repair, I now have oil collecting on the lower fairing and around the bottom of the bell housing and oil pan. I again visited the dealer and was told that the rear main seal was fine and that they think the oil is coming from the back of the crankshaft cover and wicking down and under the engine. Does this seem plausible to any of you? I'd like to believe him but I think I'm being fed a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Like 03k12rs Says...new Shop.....if It Is Wicking That Means That It Was A Crap Job From The Get Go....shows They Didnt Clean Up Housing Before They Put It Back Together...did They Check The Breather...was It Eng Oil Or Gear Oil?....

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a crap job alright. I'm pretty sure its engine oil since I had to endure three attempts to fix the transmission output shaft seal that was leaking gear oil all over the rearend and tire (this is after the initial oil leak in the clutch housing was "fixed" in August). Not even an apology or concession of any kind for that screw-up. Boy do they suck! Anyway, I'm not getting that distinct gear oil smell. I am having the bike sent to a different dealer to be checked out. Unfortunately, I'm looking at a possible additional $1,300 in repairs. I love the bike but I can't afford the cost and aggravation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
same problem

call bmw. u should be able to argue that cliff didnt fix the clutch seal in the first place. get the redo under warranty. i just had the problem last week on my '04 kgt. $1200 job, covered in warranty. since they were in there and didnt fix the problem, i'd argue that a dealer(not cliff) needs to fix it free. and dont listen to any bs about it not being a problem. bmw HAS a problem with teflon seals, both in the k and r bikes. good luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Something else to check

This sounds like a "no brainer" but...my '98 RS was having the same issue of engin oil seeping out along the engine/transmission seam. What I found out is that if I filled the engine oil to the top, or very near the top, of the "max" oil level ring on the sight glass, I would get the oil seeping. When the leve is kept closer to the middle of the sight glass...no more seeping. I was told that there is a weep hole where engine oil can get into if kept at too high a level. Has anyone else heard or seen this? After keeping a closer eye on the oil level I've not had the seeping (>6000 miles).

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a common leak from the bottom middle of the front enginr cover. This is the cover for the cam chain. It is directly behind the front wheel. You can check for a leak with a flashlight and see if it is wicking back. Check on the bottom edge of the cover in the middle. The oil wicks behind the exhaust and onto the coil and transmission. You may want to look at this possibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a trans repair done at cliffs in danbury ct. I removed the trans from my oort and they repaired it.i put it back together and one of the seals leaked and ruined my new clutch within 1000 miles. i called them and they said to bring the trans back, i did and they repaired it again with a new seal, gave me a complete new clutch assembly including new diaphram , pressure plates , disk , pushrod with no problem. they returned the faulty seal to me and said it looked fine, and i agree that it did, put 10000 miles on it since then with no problems. i think they went over and above the level of service that was required. i would definatly go back to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts