BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

My first BMW was a 2007 K1200GT. She was brand new when I picked her up. After eight years and 130K miles, I sold her. Other than regular scheduled maintenance, I never had to add oil.

Now, I have a 2009 K1300GT. I bought it while it was on consignment from BMW of San Francisco. It had 10K miles on it when I bought it in August 2015. Still, a wonderful machine. But, I now have to keep a quart (or two) of oil handy because apparently, I thought the bike had a drinking problem. I had it in for regular maintenance a couple of days ago and asked the dealer about the oil. He said that the manufacturer allows a quart of oil for every 1,000 miles. Does that seem normal?

He also said that if the <!> symbol comes on, I shouldn't ride it until I get oil in it. However, the manual states: Check the engine oil level on the oil level indicator the next time you stop for refueling. So, I'm a bit confused about that. When that indicator comes on, I try and check it as quick as I can.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 2009 K13GT and it doesn't use a quart every 1,000 miles. I usually check mine weekly and after the bike has been ridden and warm. If youdo see the indicator <!>, you should check it as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I bought my K1200GT new in 2007. It sips oil. I never add oil between changes.

This isn't the first "My KGT guzzles oil" thread. Some people have KGTs that use more oil than others. I have also seen the same dismay at BMW's stance that "One quart of oil per 1,000 miles is normal".

There is a lot of variation in the amount of oil required between instances of BMW KGT motorcycles. I wonder whether other motor vehicle brands and models experience the same wide variation of oil use, or whether KGTs have an unusually wide range of oil consumption needs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I checked my oil using the dip stick yesterday, while the back was OFF, in an upright position. Is it right that there should be NO oil registering on the dipstick?

I started the bike and let it warm up, rode it a bit, and the oil light on the dash showed the check-mark.

Going to do an oil change anyway as although the last service was only 2000 miles ago it was Dec 2015.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you read the manual for checking oil?

I did see that. To me it seems sort of contradictory....

"Operating the bike without sufficient oil might damage the engine".

"Only check the oil after a longer ride".

So if the oil is too low, you won't know about it until you have ridden like that, which might be too late?? Is that German Logic?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts