BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old K bike sight glass had a center dot in the middle of the sight glass. I would fill to just above the center dot when filling with oil. My K1200GT has a clear sight glass with no markings. What level on the sight glass do you guys use when filling with oil? Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
After taking delivery of my new'04 KRS the oil level was dead center of the sight glass. After the 600mile service recently at the dealership, the oil level was 1/4 higher. So a little bit more oil didn't seem to be an issue.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Be sure to follow instructions in the owners manual as to WHEN to check the oil level in the glass....hint, it's not when the bike is cold.

·
Registered
290 Posts
FrisbeeTiger said:
Be sure to follow instructions in the owners manual as to WHEN to check the oil level in the glass....hint, it's not when the bike is cold.
Fact is, plus or minus a quarter of an inch in oil level doesn't matter a damn!

Bob.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I change the oil and filter on my 98 RS, after the specified amount of oil is added, the oil level is closer to the top of the site glass.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As a first-cut check, I'll take a look at the sight glass on my K12GT before firing it up. Sitting on the centerstand cold, the oil level is consistently 2/3 of the way up the sight glass. If it varies from that, then I'll go through the owner's manual procedure for checking the oil level.

Rusty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts