BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oil OK indicator

Should the indicator say OK (assuming it is ok) as soon as the key is turned on, the bike is started or after the engine is hot and has been running for a while? Mine used to say OK as soon as the engine was started. Now it has to be hot. I told the dealer about this when I brought bike in for "The Fix" and brake reservoir recall and was later told the part was on back order for two weeks. I took the bike home anyway (no more stalling btw). Then it occurred to me that maybe the oil indicator Is working as its supposed to. Any feed back on when the "Oil OK" pops up would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine comes on after the engine is warm as a result of driving some distance. Hard to say how far. I thought initially it use to come on when the bike was started, but not true. Also, you must be at a stop for the indicator to read.

Blackdog

·
Registered
478 Posts
Blackdog said:
Mine comes on after the engine is warm as a result of driving some distance. Hard to say how far. I thought initially it use to come on when the bike was started, but not true. Also, you must be at a stop for the indicator to read.

Blackdog
Yup thats the way it works. It doesnt say OK, Just a check mark next to OIL. N it means ok-not as I found out "check me". If ioil was low you would get the yellow triangle with a ! in the middle. That means check me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Funny thing is that dealer (Manhattan BMW) kept bike an extra five days over this after "The fix" and recall were done only to tell me part would not be available for two weeks! In the end it turns out the indicator was always working fine. Yopu have to wonder about these guys sometimes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It will also show the <!> when the bike says there is too much oil. That raises a code visable on a GS-911. I also just posted a problem with my oil warning. But, as I said in my thread, I don't see how a dealer can charge you 1 hours labor for a fix to software that resolves problems when it only takes them a couple minutes over the period of an hour to get the job done. That to me is theft !!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Always check the oil when the bike is hot, engine running, with the bike upright, not on the side stand. It doesn't give a reading unless the bike is hot, as far as I can tell. The reading can take up to a minute, but it normally returns quicker than that.
But rather than trust a sensor, just look at the actual oil tube rather than the display (but still check it warm, not cold whichever way you check it - to avoid false readings*).

The difference between MIN and MAX marks is about 500ml on a K1300S, I've found (in case you're worried about overfilling).

* from the manual:
if the motorcycle is out of use for an extended period of time; this oil has to be pumped into the oil tank before the level is read. The engine oil must be at operating temperature to do this. Checking the oil level with the engine cold or after no more than a short ride will lead to misinterpretation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts