BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, just bought a k1200rs it's an early one with the Daytona yellow and chequered grey and black squares, only 15000 miles from new...here's the thing, I'm a bit confused on what oils to use, I'm in the UK, Scotland..so its not that hot over here, we might get the occasional 25c day but that's a rarity..usually I ride in 14- 20c ....so my thinking was to put Castrol 4t semi 10w40 in the engine, and I was thinking of putting 75/90 GL5 in the FD and gearbox, it's supposed to be 75/140 in both but I've read that for the FD it's out of spec now but I could use in the gearbox ...any thoughts guys..please share..

All the best

Lockes...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice looking bike - On questions about oil, it seems like one has to choose whose advice to take - BMW’s, conventional wisdom, chemical engineers, etc. Personally, I’ve subscribed to the Illinois BMW Riders YouTube channel and mostly follow the advice given there adjusted to my warmer location. I use a non-syn 20/50 oil that meets or exceeds the SG requirement. i believe the main factor is to change fluids at least per BMW recommendations. There are some folks who recommend against Synthetic engine oil and you can google that.

i recommend choices according to what makes sense to you and RIDE!

Reactions: lockesboy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,thanks, yes I've seen that guy on youtube, he has a 1200LT, he's quite knowledgable about oils...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts