BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas:
1997 - or maybe 1998 - K1200RS here. I’m trying to make is more like a 1988 or so - the dang electronics on this particular bike went (or maybe previous owner) well over the last 2 years. I did remove the odd ABS on this bike recently- I would have thought that some any of the same type would be doing the same thing (as their ABS systems) went south on them, like mine did.

Mechanically, removing the big clunky thing that some times tickles the brakes - but no more as it is “in the bin” - actually it is on a shelf - I can’t say why I am keeping it. It is a heavy piece of equipment!

My question - after adding a new fuel pump ( new fuse, of course), new set of injectors, and a general wipe down. Now the dang thing will spin over, but no fire in the cylinders.

I would think any of you who have done the ‘remove that Bowling ball/ABS thingy’ would cover the internet by now, and the process would be 1,2,3 and I’m done. I’m not happy that the bike won’t fire up - can any of you who have done the removal tell me how you get the machine to fire up after the operation was finished? It can’t be too hard to do, I’ll bet. Thanks for any help, Gents!

· Registered
22 Posts
I don't think they are interrelated, but I am likely wrong. :p

Make sure you have both negative cables connected to the battery, that caught me up a few years back. I thought I fried the ECU.

· Registered
K1200RS
72 Posts
Now the dang thing will spin over, but no fire in the cylinders.
Is the side-stand down? If not, check the side-stand switch to see if it is operating correctly?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think they are interrelated, but I am likely wrong. :p

Make sure you have both negative cables connected to the battery, that caught me up a few years back. I thought I fried the ECU.
Yes - both cables hooked up.
Back to basics. Fuel. Spark. Compression. Is the ON-OFF switch surrounding the starter button in the ON position?
Yes - the starter is in the right place.
Is the side-stand down? If not, check the side-stand switch to see if it is operating correctly?
The side stand has to be down? I’ll try that And check the switch.
The electronics are boxed up.

· Registered
K1200RS
72 Posts

I misspoke. The side stand should be up. If it’s down, you can crank all day and the bike won’t start. Check the switch on the side stand to see that it’s operating correctly.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still nothing out of the Really Big Pipe except gasoline fumes…aarrgghhh….

Have any of you actually removed the ABS setup on a 1995 - 1998K RS? Or do you know anyone? Thanks!

· Registered
K1200GT 2006
34 Posts
Are you sure the fuel pump is giving sufficient flow? I know it's new, but I had the same symptoms when my pump was broken. It would crank all day, give some gas fumes from the exhaust, but not firing up. Also an easy thing to check is if you have a spark.

· Registered
26 Posts
Hello,
My 2 cents here: working or dead ABS has nothing to do with capability to start the engine. In fact even if you disconnect a working ABS, the engine will still start. For sure it will light and flash the alert bulb but the motor will start.
You have to check the other wiring: injectors, fuel pump, Hall Effect Ignition Sensor, battery wires.
Sorry to not be able to tell you exactly what is wrong but no start issue can be related to several various causes.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for adding to the other answers! I loosened the hose that runs the fuel rail - plenty of pressure there. I also tried the old injectors - no fuel spray. I figured one of the 4 would, but I could see no spray. Battery is new and at it’s full capacity. So - I finally ordered one of those computers to tell me something. Ugh.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That 911 dongle showed the distributor is not working - so I have a shop (local, works on mostly BMWs) gonna have a look. The local BMW dealer (in Austin) only works on 2013 or newer bikes - ain’t that just too dang bad. I hope the dongle is giving me the right intel….

1 - 15 of 15 Posts