BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

OK - now what?

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  F1Boss 
#1 ·
Hi fellas:
1997 - or maybe 1998 - K1200RS here. I’m trying to make is more like a 1988 or so - the dang electronics on this particular bike went (or maybe previous owner) well over the last 2 years. I did remove the odd ABS on this bike recently- I would have thought that some any of the same type would be doing the same thing (as their ABS systems) went south on them, like mine did.

Mechanically, removing the big clunky thing that some times tickles the brakes - but no more as it is “in the bin” - actually it is on a shelf - I can’t say why I am keeping it. It is a heavy piece of equipment!

My question - after adding a new fuel pump ( new fuse, of course), new set of injectors, and a general wipe down. Now the dang thing will spin over, but no fire in the cylinders.

I would think any of you who have done the ‘remove that Bowling ball/ABS thingy’ would cover the internet by now, and the process would be 1,2,3 and I’m done. I’m not happy that the bike won’t fire up - can any of you who have done the removal tell me how you get the machine to fire up after the operation was finished? It can’t be too hard to do, I’ll bet. Thanks for any help, Gents!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
I don't think they are interrelated, but I am likely wrong. :p

Make sure you have both negative cables connected to the battery, that caught me up a few years back. I thought I fried the ECU.
Yes - both cables hooked up.
Back to basics. Fuel. Spark. Compression. Is the ON-OFF switch surrounding the starter button in the ON position?
Yes - the starter is in the right place.
Is the side-stand down? If not, check the side-stand switch to see if it is operating correctly?
The side stand has to be down? I’ll try that And check the switch.
The electronics are boxed up.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Still nothing out of the Really Big Pipe except gasoline fumes…aarrgghhh….

Have any of you actually removed the ABS setup on a 1995 - 1998K RS? Or do you know anyone? Thanks!

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Thanks for adding to the other answers! I loosened the hose that runs the fuel rail - plenty of pressure there. I also tried the old injectors - no fuel spray. I figured one of the 4 would, but I could see no spray. Battery is new and at it’s full capacity. So - I finally ordered one of those computers to tell me something. Ugh.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
That 911 dongle showed the distributor is not working - so I have a shop (local, works on mostly BMWs) gonna have a look. The local BMW dealer (in Austin) only works on 2013 or newer bikes - ain’t that just too dang bad. I hope the dongle is giving me the right intel….

Discussion starter · #16 ·
The BMW shop in Austin called and told me everything is alive, so they will go thru with the standard service instructions to keep this one usable. Apparently, removing the hard lines and the pump itself are just about the only things I removed, along with some heavy red wires and some brown wires. The front brakes are good to go, and so are the back ones - just like bikes from way before I was born were set up. I’ll get the machine back next week, and finished assembling the Tupperware, and go see what happens. I heard that the rear caliper needs to be changed to a smaller unit - I might still need to do that to balance the braking on this bike… In any case, this machine might be street ready soon. I will keep you apprised of how the machine has changed - if any.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
They told me that they swapped a different tank from another K and it ran immediately - I’ll bet that I did not put the tank plumbing on right. I’ll find out when I pick the bike up.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Hello All:

I doubt there is anything more for me to fix - the bike performs as it should. I do have the part that the Brits sell for the ADSB brake system - seems I did about the same thing for my 98 K1200 without the nifty thing they make (won't fit the early bikes). I followed the gents adding the 13MM Brembo master cylinder too - that did not seem to work as expected - might be I should get a new set of pads for that system too? At any rate, the monster does what I recall it would do when I was brave enough to push 'er up...so my question is: is the rear wheel system rather wimpy or throw some $$$ that way too? Front system is magnificent, by the way - I could be asking the aft brakes to do more than they should...

BTW I do have the Brit's version of the ADSB brake removal system - it looks as easy to remove that system almost as easily as the pre-98 systems are - $150 if you want to make that system left on the wayside...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.