BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One: Do I really have to take the fuel tank off to tap my Autoswitch in?.
Two: Does anyone have a detailed link I can go to for help?.
Three: I am using a fuse block. Piaa harness to block, switch relay and wiring to Autoswitch, Auotoswitch to turn signal cancel wiring brown/white, correct?.
Four: Red wire from Autoswitch, tap in ? "switched" power source, parking light wire, some other switched wire?.
Five: Piaa relay that is configured into (Piaa) wiring harness, of course?, has to be used?
Six: Does anyone have a gun I can borrow?.

I am starting to think it would have been easier just to use Piaa on/off switch. No?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I feel your pain, brother!

I did not remove my fuel tank. I left that for another day. I did pull plastic on both sides along with the left side cooling fan. I managed to snake a honking big red and black wire back to the battery sort of along the left side. The red wire goes to the battery + through a large fuse. Black goes to battery ground. I used this to feed a "Centech" fuse panel ( http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/cycles/ap1.shtml )

The panel feeds relays for the high and low beam as well as power for the PIAAs. I also feed an extra powerlet outlet mounted in an existing hole just forward of the ignition switch.

The autoswitch was a problem. I tried to use one of those fancy taps that everyone in the IBMWR list likes (Posi-Tap) but the ones I had (black) were too large and wouldn't pierce the wire. I wound up cutting the wire and using a posi-splice to connect the two ends and tie in the sensor wire for the auto-switch. It isn't a good solution and I hope I don't regret it. Since then I have found blue Posi-Taps (16-18 AWG) and I think that would work. Look for them at Wally World.

Yes you want the relay. 110 watts of power through a switch is a big load for a switch.

PIAA provides waaaayyyy too much wire for this application. Once you know where you want things to go, shorten the wires appropriately.

·
Registered
589 Posts
No need to pull the tank, just the plastic. You do have to take the fan shroud on the right side off and dig out the wire harness as the directions state. Make sure you have a good ground for the Autoswitch, from the battery (best) or the main frame. Do not ground from the front fairing subframe. You do need a relay, The Autoswitch, or any switch, will not handle the current draw of lights without a relay.

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK, I DID pull the tank when I did my PIAA (1100x) install... no big deal once you have all of the plastic off, and a much 'cleaner' install, IMO. I ordered the 'powersports' version kit (from CycleGadgets.com) Much less wiring than the previous 'generic' harness I received a few years ago when I put PIAA's on my GS, however, the previous 'CycleGadgets' harness had a plug-in connection for the Autoswitch (be sure to order the BMW version, btw, 'cause the BMW TS cancel switch has reversed polarity vs the rest of the MC world) and a blade-type fuse holder. The powersports version uses a barrel-type fuse and required splicing the AutoSwitch into the harness (having to cut off the PIAA switch connector) The AutoSwitch is for sure the way to go, no reaching across the bars to a fairing mounted switch, just 'raise' your right thumb against the TS cancel button and hold for ~1 second, MUCH EASIER to flick the lites off and on again when encountering on-coming traffic.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.......

Bobmws said:
No need to pull the tank, just the plastic. You do have to take the fan shroud on the right side off and dig out the wire harness as the directions state. Make sure you have a good ground for the Autoswitch, from the battery (best) or the main frame. Do not ground from the front fairing subframe. You do need a relay, The Autoswitch, or any switch, will not handle the current draw of lights without a relay.
Thanks to all my friends at K-Bikes, I may be able to accomplish this install. I think I just got frustrated today. Thanks to Bobmws especially, I didn't think you liked me. Will, of course, post something tomorrow, just to bug everyone.

·
Registered
589 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
Thanks to all my friends at K-Bikes, I may be able to accomplish this install. I think I just got frustrated today. Thanks to Bobmws especially, I didn't think you liked me. Will, of course, post something tomorrow, just to bug everyone.
Hey Redhawk, I may be a bit acerbic at times but if for some reason I disliked you, I wouldn't waste the time to respond! Hang in there, you're learning! Besides you're the one who was joking about the cigarette & your fuel tank! ;-))
Oh, and the title of this thread..........

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just a thought...

Since you are pulling everything off, especially if you decided to pull the tank, if there's anything else you want to add in the future, consider running any cabling now - like extra power, V-1 lines, audio, etc.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again...

Bobmws said:
Hey Redhawk, I may be a bit acerbic at times but if for some reason I disliked you, I wouldn't waste the time to respond! Hang in there, you're learning!

OK, Bob. Cool. Had to look up "acerbic" though. "Acerbity", n. sour bitterness; severity of manner. (Websters New Dictionary)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.