BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 K1200RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took in my front wheel to a shop and had a new tire mounted & balanced. After I got home I noticed that they had not installed a new valve stem. Last week, I had a new rear tire installed and the rubber valve stem was replaced,so I expected them to replace the front also.

So I called the service manager and he said that they typically don't replace steel stems as long as the grommets seem to be OK. The tire that was replaced was 8 years old and so the valve stem was at least that old. The core is new as I replaced that a few months ago.

Opinions on whether I should take it back and insist on a new valve stem? Or at least new grommets?

·
Registered
1998 K1200RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To complicate things: I asked them if steel stems used universal grommets or will the ones used on BMWs be different. He said he wasn't sure but they 'should' have grommets that will work.

OK, so I thought that if they don't have the correct grommets I'll just have them put in a new rubber stem. The difference in the weight of the stems shouldn't be enough to affect balancing....right?

·
Registered
84 Posts
If it were my bike, I'd leave it in if it's not leaking. An eight year old valve stem isn't like an eight year old tire - it's more like an eight year old fuel injection boot, or an eight year old gas cap gasket. You don't replace those every time you change tires.

That said, if it makes you uncomfortable, then you can certainly take it back and ask them to replace it. It's not a big job to break the bead on one side and slip a new stem in there, and shouldn't require completely dismounting the tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts