BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ran out of gas yesterday, in the rain, on an Interstate, in bumper-to-bumper Labor day traffic. I thought something was odd when the trip meter said 202 miles, but the miles to empty said 240. I just thought I'd forgotten to zero the trip meter at the last gas stop two days before. Nope. We coasted to the left shoulder at 265 miles with the BC showing half a tank and 165 miles to empty.

Thankfully we had just received our Cross Country club card the day we left, and a call to them had gas in the tank in about 30 minutes. When we stopped to fill the tank the BC read full, but then never went down from there all the way home. Be on the lookout and trust your gut.

·
Registered
497 Posts
This sounds more like a sensor problem rather than a computer problem. Mostly because you state that there was no change after you filled up again.

Brian

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is the gas tank venting properly

2wheeler said:

When we stopped to fill the tank the BC read full, but then never went down from there all the way home. Be on the lookout and trust your gut.
Just a thought here. A friend has a 2005 GS and had a similar guage issue after he removed the carbon canister. Unfortunately as part of that he plugged off the vent and the gas tank built up enough pressure that the sensor was ruined. Once the sensor was replaced and the vent cleared - no problems.

In that case the gas sensor is a hydrostatic device that measures the pressure exerted by the height of the gasoline in the tank. If the tank is not properly venting the guage will read an artificially high pressure indication - and give a false reading.

Of course this is only true if the guage system is the same between the two bikes - which I think it is given the similarities in the displays.

My 2 cents,
Bill

·
Registered
96 Posts
gas cap ???

If the cap is not venting....open it up and see if the guage changes.

I notice in my Mercedes that when I fill it up and the engine is running the guage goes all over the place only settling down when I am done pumping the ga

Seems kind of strange that after you filled up...the gage did indicate any difference.

Dealer warranty - I would say.

Hope you get it fixed:

You haven't taken the tank off for any reason have you? Or installed any options that might have disconnected a wire or two?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, i haven't removed the tank or the cannister. The only thing I did was reset the average speed and miles per gallon the day before. I will have to take it to the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts