BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://motorcycledaily.com/21november05_2006bmws.htm

Motorcycle daily has a nice picture of the GT preceded by a couple of pics of the new F800S and ST. (maybe we should combine these two in a seperate forum - just kidding. <g>)

It's nice the way BMW slung those heavier bags fairly low on the bike. The low center of gravity on the K-S is one of its best traits; these low saddlebags seem designed to keep it that way. Compare to the F800ST just above the GT.

Miles

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi Miles,

Thanks for the link. It is a very nice photo of the GT. Would you call that black? The front fender and the faring in this pic appear to be the flat black. Especially when you compare it to the shiny rear bags.

Regards,

Motorman

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motorman said:
Hi Miles,

Thanks for the link. It is a very nice photo of the GT. Would you call that black? The front fender and the faring in this pic appear to be the flat black. Especially when you compare it to the shiny rear bags.

Regards,

Motorman
It's not black. We all thought it was when the first grainy pics. surfaced before the Milan show. A number of folks also thought it was a flat black.

Turns out its a dark grey and all gloss. Take a look at the thread below entitled:"A couple of GT pictures taken in Milano" and you can see the color more clearly.

The motorcycledaily picture shows the bike off by itself and also demonstrates that you can get poor representations in pictures and a nice one like the one here.

Miles

·
Registered
130 Posts
hmmm, looks like a split seat, perhaps? Can't tell from the pics.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Miles_Miller said:
http://www.michaelbense.de/k1200s/galerie/thumbnails.php?album=30

Yes, it is a split seat. Check and enlarge the thumbnails on Michael Bense site and you can clearly see that. I sure hope the keyhole to pop the seat is more convenient than on the K-S.

Miles
Looks like it is right at the back over the tail light lens (you can see a key hole in one of the rear shots).

Bob.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RFWILSON said:
Looks like it is right at the back over the tail light lens (you can see a key hole in one of the rear shots).

Bob.
Bob,

Hate to admit this; but since getting the K-S in May, I have yet to remove the seat. Thankfully it doesn't use oil. <g> The split seat and more convenient keyhole should solve the problem we have on the K-S.

The seat is also adjustible as are the bars. My guess on the bars: if you want an RT, you adjust the bars one way; if you want a GT, you adjust the bars another way for a little forward lean. This will accomodate everyone unlike the current GT which had fixed bars and a mandatory forward lean that put off a lot of potential buyers.

Miles

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like the bags

Why hasn't someone figured how to lower the pipe on the 03-04 GT to get a full bag on the left side? And will the bags from the new GT hang on the old mounts? Lets get the torch out and reposition the stock pipe. If all fails it will be a good time to up grade. Maybe a little plastic work or bastardization to get a full bag and I think the old bike is still better than new.

·
Registered
51 Posts
scot said:
Why hasn't someone figured how to lower the pipe on the 03-04 GT to get a full bag on the left side? And will the bags from the new GT hang on the old mounts? Lets get the torch out and reposition the stock pipe. If all fails it will be a good time to up grade. Maybe a little plastic work or bastardization to get a full bag and I think the old bike is still better than new.
Like this?

Thread:

http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/s...Board=K1200RS&Number=11634&page=&view=&sb=&o=

Pic:

http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/downloadattachments.php?attach_id=3413?Cat=

·
Registered
161 Posts
Miles
Where did I miss the part about adj bars on the forthcoming GT ? This new model just keeps getting better and better, atleast for me anyway.

Phil

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
phil_p said:
Miles
Where did I miss the part about adj bars on the forthcoming GT ? This new model just keeps getting better and better, atleast for me anyway.

Phil
Here's a terrible translation from the initial German press release just before the Milan show. It shows as an "adjustable steering wheel".

If you go to Michael Bense website: k1200GT.de and click on bildergallerie you will see several thumbnails. There is one picture of the cockpit where it looks like the bars slide underneath the ignition key bracket; sort of a back and forth motion, rather than just up and down like the R12ST. If that's correct it means more-or-less lean based on rider preference.

Miles

Translated from BMW Germany:

"The K 1200 GT the past K 1200 GT follows and is based on the innovative engine technology of the K 1200 S and K 1200 R. the second generation of the GT offers driving dynamics on high level. In addition considerably the engine tuning particularly designed for high torque contributes, which to sovereigns road performances as well as maximum Agilitaet leads. The achievement of the Sporttourers will amount to over 110 kW/150 HP. Also the chassis components do not leave open desires. The same technical basis has the K 1200 GT as the K 1200 S and offers to the customers the front wheel guidance Duolever, the Paralever for the rear wheel guidance as well as special equipment the electrically adjustable shock strut (ESA). The GT earned the name "Gran Turismo" like no second. To the series trim the adjustable seat and an adjustable steering wheel belong. The wind sign can be electrically individually adapted. Further components of the equipment are the luggage system as well as the BMW motorcycle integral ABS in the part-integral version. In addition BMW motorcycle holds a custom-made offer ready at special equipment and option. Perfect wind and is enclosure and the optimal driving equipment offers the new K 1200 GT for route and long-distance drivers. The machine is surprisingly narrow nevertheless and works very elegantly."

·
Registered
200 Posts
full bag

exactly like that. Where do I get the kit?

·
Registered
200 Posts
It looks like something that could be profitable. Maybe a send in the pipe exchange. Perhaps a side business for one of the more capable board members?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts