BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OM for my bike says that top speed for the bike with saddlebags should not exceed 80mph. I wonder if this is a lawyerly disclaimer, or is there a good reason for this recommendation? It just seems a bit odd, considering the bike was made in the land of the Autobahn. Gotta believe that at 80mph you'd have to stay waaay over to the right on the 'bahn, if you wanted to survive. So why the self-imposed speed limit w/cases on? Maybe BMW just wanted to make sure the cases stay on...
(personal disclaimer: why bless my buttons, officer, I would never, ever run this bike over 65mph! )
Steve
1990 K75RT (w/cases)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Panniers

Well I lost a pannier on my K1200RS at a sub sonic speed once but by the same token had no problem with my K1200S going VERY fast !
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will say that the wind will push you around a bit more at high speeds with panniers but besides that no worries. I did have a few loose rivets that I replaced as they made me a bit nervous.

Its curious that the manual recommends that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
80MPH with bags

I recently piloted a K75S back to WI for a freind from Nashville.

I regularly ran 80- 85 MPH indicated and 100 MPH a few times when the road & traffic allowed.

Allowed = not rndagering anyone but myself. I have real good insurance.

Bike had bags, rock steady all speeds.

Not NEARLY enough protection for me for an all day ride compared to my 93 K1100RS though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
lukeman said:
I will say that the wind will push you around a bit more at high speeds with panniers but besides that no worries. I did have a few loose rivets that I replaced as they made me a bit nervous.

Its curious that the manual recommends that.

I agree with you about the wind coefficient. Tested the bags plus rider @ 110(downhill)[Closed course] with nothing but strategic pinches from the SO.

I believe as long as your going forward the bags will hang on as long as you do.

It was more than likely an "insert liability statement here" kind of clause.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Manufacturers precautionary advice!

But be aware that one day you might be riding straight well into triple digits and no probs, then the next day you are well over the 80 on a long sweeper with a sudden cross wind you couldn't see or were overtaking a semi.

Never much said about cross winds but on our highways I look for gaps in the side features with tell tale signs of arched trees and flattened grass in the fields.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
138 Posts
K11 RS and K12RS, no problems with bags partially or fully loaded doing 100+ for long distances. High ends or side winds tend to grab the bags a bit though above 80. It's noticeable.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn, I didn't realize you guys were riding that fast on the slab. I definitely gotta pick up the pace, holding our average speed down a bit...
Agreed, the warning about keeping the speed under 80 is lawyer talk. Reason i brought the question up is, there is a stretch of lonely highway near me where 80 seems quite reasonable, and my bike feels rock steady at such speed. Vox, your comment about crosswinds is duly noted, don't like them much, but what are you gonna do? Jimmyb, can hardly imagine you holding those kind of speeds for such a distance east of the Mississippi. Good radar detecter, I hope? :D
Steve
1990 K75RT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts