BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are pros and contras of the opposite motors?
Why have you chosen them?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I like them mostly because the have an endearing personality. They have a soul that the I4s don't, IMHO. I also like the classic look of the cylinders sticking out each side. It's a very wide motor, looks cool. Twins have good low-end torque and drive out of corners nicely. The powerband is nice and flat, so it's user-friendly and you won't have a sudden rush of power that can cause trouble if you're healed over. Also, their powerband is from 3-8,000 rpm; no winding out to get to the good stuff.

Cons include significantly less maximum power (although torque is on a par), and vibes are much stronger. But twin vibes aren't nearly as unpleasant as I4 vibes, IMHO.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Everything Steve says. Also for me, when I first became aware of BMW motorcycles, I was in sixth grade in east Tenn. and lots of older guys in highschool were starting to ride around on mopeds and Hondas. There was a gentleman in our town that had a black motorcycle with a funny looking engine. He always looked so cool on the black bike with the funny engine. I have been in love with that engine ever since. I suspect the BMW twin will always be my favorite. I guess I'm just a sentimental guy. I just sold an 05 Triumph Sprint that was lighter, faster, more hp and torque, less expensive to buy and maintain, and much smoother so I could buy my third R1100S Donkey Bike. Say Donkey Bike with Pride!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts