BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Folks,
First post, I'm about to take delivery of a 2003 K1200rs, and I would like an original tank bag.
I have one for my K100 and its great, I have a wunderlich for my R1150 and not so great.
Therefore happy to hear recommendations
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
518 Posts
Good luck finding an original KRS bag. After 13 years, mine's looking a bit(!) tired. You'd be very, very lucky to find an original bag in "worth paying for" condition. The map window is yellowing and fuzzy from scrapes. Think about a tank mount bag of some sort.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not likely to find an OEM bag at this date, but you never know what might turn up on Ebay. A BMW dealer might be able to do a dealer-wide parts inventory search to see if some dealer has one laying around on the back self somewhere, but I wouldn't hold my breath. In the mean time, check out the "quick-release" tank bags from SW-Motech and Givi. I have a SW-Motech "City" bag on my K-GT and it works great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently purchased a 98 K1200RS and there was an original tank bag in one of the hard bags. I don't have any straps for it, does anyone know where I can get replacements? Great forum, I'm a first time K owner and this forum has been indispensable.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll try to remember to post photos of the straps I think you need (the straps attached to the bike, correct?). They shouldn't be too hard to duplicate. Web belting and the "click-click" connectors are readily available. The one challenge will be figuring out a good way to attach the new gear to the bike. But, yes, you can DIY.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hmmm... there's a little more to the mounts than I thought. The metal band in the back can be made from stock aluminum (try Ace). Up front they just doubled or tripled the webbing. It's going to be a PITA to sew, even with a decent home machine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks RBE, yes a bit of fabricating to be done. I'll have to sneak the wife's sewing machine out to the shed so she can't hear me. Might just have to spring for a new bag, that's way safer than getting caught using the sewing machine. Thanks again for searching for the post, great pics.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Plan B, to avoid moving to the shed for a month or two, is to contact a dry cleaner with someone who does sewing repairs, an upholsterer (they have kick-butt sewing machines), or if you're near boating country, a canvas shop (or possibly, away from marinas, etc., an awning shop). The problem with many bags is they rely on magnets - plastic magnets are very rare and very expensive. Or a tank filler bracket - IMHO they just don't make my day. YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts