BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the idea is to drop the 4 cylinder bikes, are they talking about just the GT? What about the 1300 R and S? All the focus has been on the GT and LT.
Gilly
 

·
contributor
Joined
·
4,827 Posts
I personally do not have ANY desire for a 6 cylinder sport bike in the form of a K16S or K16R.

Maybe a K16RS or a new cruiser type bike. But a sportbike in a heavier, wider package with no additional horsepower doesn't make much sense to me.

What I would stand in line for is a K1000S. A duolever/paralever maybe chain driven superbike with the 193hp 1000cc engine and about 150 pounds pared off the current platform's weight. That would be cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I did not ask the dealer about the S and the R but he says the GT is going away. That's the top seller of the three, right? Why would you keep the other two?
 

·
contributor
Joined
·
4,827 Posts
bird said:
I did not ask the dealer about the S and the R but he says the GT is going away. That's the top seller of the three, right? Why would you keep the other two?
uuuhhhhh... I can think of a few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JCW said:
I
What I would stand in line for is a K1000S. A duolever/paralever maybe chain driven superbike with the 193hp 1000cc engine and about 150 pounds pared off the current platform's weight. That would be cool.
So you must mean a S1000S? My understanding is the S1000RR is NOT a K bike. That engine is a stand-alone engine from a slant 4 "K Bike" engine isn't it? Or is it really based on a slant 4?? I dunno or I'd say so. :dunno:
I respect the S1000RR but the assymetrical looks just kill me. I fell the same way about some of the other BMWs with different headlights, yeeesh. That one GS that cam out 5 or 10 yrs ago with one headlight bigger than the other? Looks like this guy I knew who got hit in the head with a baseball bat (TRUE!) when he was little and now has one eye that is always bigger than the other. :wtf: Like that. Without the twitching or blinking.
Gilly
 

·
contributor
Joined
·
4,827 Posts
GillyWI said:
So you must mean a S1000S? My understanding is the S1000RR is NOT a K bike. That engine is a stand-alone engine from a slant 4 "K Bike" engine isn't it? Or is it really based on a slant 4?? I dunno or I'd say so. :dunno:
I respect the S1000RR but the assymetrical looks just kill me. I fell the same way about some of the other BMWs with different headlights, yeeesh. That one GS that cam out 5 or 10 yrs ago with one headlight bigger than the other? Looks like this guy I knew who got hit in the head with a baseball bat (TRUE!) when he was little and now has one eye that is always bigger than the other. :wtf: Like that. Without the twitching or blinking.
Gilly
I'm absolutely no BMW historian but I think the K bikes were a departure from BMW's original boxer air/oil cooled engines (R-series) to a 3 cylinder (K75) or 4 cylinder (K100) liquid cooled engine.

As far as the slant, up until the 2005 models, the K engines all laid on their sides with the head on the left, crank on the right.

So, I think maybe a K1000SS would be appropriate? :dunno:

I agree with you re the looks. The asymmetry for asymmetry's sake is, IMO, a bad idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure they have a reason for the 2 headlights doing different jobs, especially on the GS bike I am thinking of, on/off road would make them think in terms of being off road at night possibly so they want a different sized high beam or whatever. On the street, you would I think be capable of having it look symmetrical. Whatever though, way OT now.

As far as the K bike name, if BMW considered the RR a K bike, I'm sure they would have named it the K1000RR. It's obviously way different than a K, starting with a non-shaft drive, is that reason enough to give it a new classification? I suppose it would.

So the new question now, besides if BMW is killing ALL 4 cylinder production (Ummm, besides the S1000RR? :dunno: ) is if the S1000RR engine is based on the same slant 4 as the K1200/1300 engine???

Gilly
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top