BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
That looks kinda nasty!!! Do you know what the story behind the pic is?

I traced the story on the Aprillia forum and it came from a Triumph forum - sorry no link. However here is another pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I always thought it went the other way - piston comin' out the top ... At least that's always how it happens in the cartoons! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm, those are two different bikes. Look at the punched out portion of the lower cyl. The holes are different shapes.

DW

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is the Story behind.

The Story behind and even another picture.

From 'OSM62's' German Forum

posted by 'Tripleduc'

A few facts to the circumstances.
K1200R
New 28.aug.05.
1.000er inspection 26.sep.05
Black Forest tour 06.-09.10.05
total kilometer: 2,384 KM

"The Exitus" gave notice itself with a rattling and lacking propulsion at the speed 130 km/h. After also a little smoke have 'raised', I pulled the clutch. God was to be thanked that I was on vicinity of a Restarea and so was able to roll right out.
Stocktaking. Conrod through motor block. Reason: unknown, the BMW need to be tended to.
Before someone types on oil deficiency; yet enough was left even after the insident inside Engine! It simply happened without preliminary announcement.

Must say that I would not like to meet spesific motorcycle no longer. I like the KR very and want to have one again, but not that one! I must see, what one can get out of this.

I am disappointed on all cases rather, all things considered, the other trifles (brakes squeaking, staggering, constant load jerk el and and and). Am once strained how the further flow develops.
Tripleduc

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
BMWHP said:
Hmmmm, those are two different bikes. Look at the punched out portion of the lower cyl. The holes are different shapes.

DW
Hmmmm... different bikes, but same cylinder. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Damn that would suck...kind of interesting that the both went out on the same piston...I would also think that it would tend to throw out on the upstroke easier. Assuming it was getting oil, maybe a defect on the bushings would cause the connector rod to freeze enought to smash through the block?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks to be the same engine to me, on the shot in the stand the lower center bolt has been removed which allowed a loose piece of casing to come out. If you look closely in the pic on the bike you can see the hairline crack where this piece split loose on the one side at least.

·
Registered
56 Posts
they are 2 diff motors. the one on the stand must be from an S. look at the motor on the R and you will see where the oil pres switch cable (i think) there is a small silver section where you can place a bolt.

Now if you look at the motor on the stand, you will see a small bracket and clip where the fairing section is bolted to. This is absent from the R. Also is it just me or does the head on the stand look silver ? ALso on the stand there is a large silver cover with a hex bolt on the left hand side. In the other pic it is black.

Either way it would suck big time.

Boris

·
Registered
403 Posts
They are the same motor.

If you look very carefully, you can find identical stain/watermarks on the cases. I can't explain the appearance of the black/polished end cap with the hex bolt. Possibly the angle of the photo and the effect of the camera flash.

The point is, since this is the same engine, it probably is a single failure rather than the start of a pattern of failure in this motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xlr8r said:
They are the same motor.

If you look very carefully, you can find identical stain/watermarks on the cases. I can't explain the appearance of the black/polished end cap with the hex bolt. Possibly the angle of the photo and the effect of the camera flash.

The point is, since this is the same engine, it probably is a single failure rather than the start of a pattern of failure in this motor.
Dude, take a close look at the engine case damage, as in the actual hole created. In the first hole, it is right down to the seam where the upper and lower casings meet. In the 2nd, the hole is much smaller with the hole only being in the upper case.

DW

·
Registered
403 Posts
Take a closer look at the original photo you posted. It's a K motor on an engine stand, right? Do you notice the engine case bolt removed in that photo on the stand? Looks to me like when the bolt was pulled a broken piece of engine case came out with it.

If you don't think so, look at the pic of the motor on the bike. Bolt still in place holding the case together.

How about that, Dude?

·
Registered
18 Posts
the hole in on the bike is almost round and the rod bolt is missing. on the stand the hole is not as wide and is almost square at the top. also the rod bolt is missing on the in the bike and is broken but still in the rod on the on the stand.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mixed Fortunes

There doesn't appear to be any indication from the various forums on multiple failures of this type in this engine model. While I have made only one major ventilation hole in a motorcycle engine crankcase (1969 Triumph T120) it wasn't the excessive revs or oil issues that caused the failure but a flywheel securing bolt that wasn't Loctite'd properly, backing out and causing a cascade of failures of biblical proportions.

I was just lucky that the farmhouse and lonely farmers daughter was there to help - but I digress - the point is that engine failures happen due to unexpected causes and given the apparent lack of reported failures I suggest it may be premature to assume an endemic weakness at this stage. As to the farmers daughter, well it was a day of mixed fortunes.

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
93 Posts
krider12s said:
the hole in on the bike is almost round and the rod bolt is missing. on the stand the hole is not as wide and is almost square at the top. also the rod bolt is missing on the in the bike and is broken but still in the rod on the on the stand.
Yep. Agreed; pics of 2 different engines.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Between the hole shape variations and the right side cover plate differences it looks to me like different engines.

Lenz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts