BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reinstalled the fuel tank on my '03 K12GT after replacing the fuel filter. Had the battery out for some other work so after bolting in the tank and re-installing the battery, I reset the TPS.

Turned on the ignition and the engine ran straight up to 8000 rpm. Shut it down before it red-lined. Inspected the throttle cables and they don't appear to be hung up, pinched or mal-connected anywhere. I thought I did something wrong when resetting the TPS so I removed the battery and called it a day.

This morning after re-installing the battery I again reset the TPS and the same problem occured. Removed the fuel cell again and inspected underneath it for other signs but found nothing.

I've checked the hoses (twice) and they all appear to be installed correctly.

I can get the RPM's to go down to 5000 by forcing the throttle handle more (?) closed. Odd.

What the hell have I done?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you have to force the throttle cable to close it so that the revs drop to 5000rpm's it would suggest the throttle cable is too tight, either trapped or twisted in some way. Are you sure the tank is not trapping the throttle cable? I would look there.

Does this one have cruise control? If it does that would explain why the revs drop when you force it closed. The cruise control cable is trying to close the throttle and the throttle cable is trying to keep it open. What other work did you do when you removed the battery?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fixed it

Couldn't see the forest for the trees. It was the cable coming directly from the cruise control unit which had been forced out of position by my autocom box.

feeling like a noob....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts