BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of gas at 4.3 gallons last night. Fortunately I was able to coast down an offramp, run a stop light and push it th last 20 feet into a gas station. I only had 157 miles on the tankful. This was my first full tankfull with this bike. The yellow light had been on for about 40 miles but they come on notoriously unpredictably and I knew 5.5 gallons would take me more than 160 miles. So when I filled up I only got 4.3 gallons in the tank. It was 3am so I didn't investigate much but I'm baffled.

My most likely cause is that I'm not getting the tank full. In fact this morning after riding only about 5 miles home, the fuel level seems to be about 2" down in the tank so that's probably the other gallon. I'll fill up at my normal gas station (2 miles further down the road) and see if I can get it fuller next time. Of course it appears that the previous fillup I didn't get it full either since I only got 157 miles. Confused.

--Jerry
 

·
Looking for better limits...
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
5.5 gallons is correct. I believe 3/10's are unuseable, as the pump can't pick that portion of the fuel up. However, fuel tanks are rarely precisely made to spec. But, you should be able to get at least 5.1 gallons in (as I have) without sputtering into the fuel station. I think you filled it up last time, as 157 miles is about right for the light to come on, and 40 miles on the fuel warning lamp is about what I expect from mine. I try to fill mine up to the neck ring when filling.

Then, too...maybe you found a good pump to buy gas at until someone comes out, measures against a calibrated container, and fixes it...



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Stephejl said:
My most likely cause is that I'm not getting the tank full. In fact this morning after riding only about 5 miles home, the fuel level seems to be about 2" down in the tank so that's probably the other gallon.

--Jerry
I would think 2 inches down would be close to a gal. It was probably hard to see into the tank at night when you filled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More data. The last two times I've filled up the needle only came to the left hand side of the white full bar. Do you guys get it to go past the left edge?

Just to be clear, last night the yellow light came on at 115 miles and the sputtering occurred at 157.

Sure is more fun to ride with gas in it. Nice ride to work today. I'll be riding home in the middle of the night again but I'm sure I have plenty of gas this time. Thanks for your help guys.

--Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
mileage

I think you filled it up last time, as 157 miles is about right for the light to come on, and 40 miles on the fuel warning lamp is about what I expect from mine.
I interpreted what Jerry said as the low fuel light came on around 117, 40 miles before he ran out of gas. Jerry - I also recently ran out of gas at 143. (I posted this sad tale here on the forum). That was on my third tankful. My low fuel light comes on around 95 miles. I have measured my mileage for the last three tankfulls and I am averaging about 126 mpg. That really sucks as far as I'm concerned. I bought my K12RS used from a dealer. Its just about to turn 10K on the odometer. I emailed the dealer about my bad mileage and they advise that the mileage should get better after the 12K service. I'll wait till then before I get too concerned.

Also, when I fill up the needle is also on the left edge of the full mark.
 

·
Looking for better limits...
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
GJBushman said:
I interpreted what Jerry said as the low fuel light came on around 117, 40 miles before he ran out of gas. Jerry - I also recently ran out of gas at 143. (I posted this sad tale here on the forum). That was on my third tankful. My low fuel light comes on around 95 miles. I have measured my mileage for the last three tankfulls and I am averaging about 126 mpg. That really sucks as far as I'm concerned. I bought my K12RS used from a dealer. Its just about to turn 10K on the odometer. I emailed the dealer about my bad mileage and they advise that the mileage should get better after the 12K service. I'll wait till then before I get too concerned.

Also, when I fill up the needle is also on the left edge of the full mark.
Yup. Reading some, and thinking about something else, and the fingers just put what ever was sent...40 miles is about what I expect before the sputtering. Pushed it close, but never confirmed that. 157 would be what I expect to get to before the light comes on, but ya'll probably know that by now anyway...



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Fuel mileage

Today I ran to 184 miles before the light came on, I filled up at 207 miles and it took 4.7 gals, I don't know what the useable fuel load is. In the past with a new bike I carry a 1 gal gas can and proceed to run till it sputters, then pour in the gal. and get to a station and fill it and add the gal. to the amount it takes. Today 160 miles of the 207 was hauling on the interstate, my question is will running almost dry hurt this K1200GT, my last BMW was new 1983 Boxer and I did the same test to find the useable fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
GJBushman said:
I have measured my mileage for the last three tankfulls and I am averaging about 126 mpg. That really sucks as far as I'm concerned.
Sucks?? That's excellent !!! :D
 

·
Looking for better limits...
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
ezgo said:
Today I ran to 184 miles before the light came on, I filled up at 207 miles and it took 4.7 gals, I don't know what the useable fuel load is. In the past with a new bike I carry a 1 gal gas can and proceed to run till it sputters, then pour in the gal. and get to a station and fill it and add the gal. to the amount it takes. Today 160 miles of the 207 was hauling on the interstate, my question is will running almost dry hurt this K1200GT, my last BMW was new 1983 Boxer and I did the same test to find the useable fuel.
The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, so I'd error on the side of caution. If the bike starts sputtering, shut it off and pour in your reserve...you should be fine. Just don't keep trying to run the bike in "sputter mode"...

Documentation says the fuel capacity is 21 liters or 5.5476 gallons, U.S., liquid. Somewhere I can't cite right now stated that the unusable fuel is .3 gallons (3/10ths).

126 miles to empty isn't good at all. I doubt the regular 12k service will improve on that much, unless they find something outside the normal service items to play with. Evaporative hoses and such may be the culprit, too. Or, you're quick-disconnects are leaking, but then you'd be smelling gas.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Scratchin' my head here.

This is at least the second time in the last few weeks someone has admitted to running out of gas. Notably, it's also the second time that each person has confessed to IGNORING the low fuel light.


Pay attention class. This will be on the test. :banghead

Despite rumors to the effect that the low gas light on your bike is lying to you, or is notoriously unreliable and unpredictable........

It would seem that when the light comes on, you should at least humor it and stop for gas at the first available opportunity. :sun:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
"Of course, actual miles per gallon may vary."

On the highway, I get between 175 and 185 when the reserve light comes on, depending on average speed. I fill it to the bottom of the filler lip, which is probably over fill. Fill up is approx 4.1 gallons.

Highway and city usage, the reserve light come on around 150. Strickly city, the reserve light comes on around 132.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Mudbug said:
On the highway, I get between 175 and 185 when the reserve light comes on, depending on average speed. I fill it to the bottom of the filler lip, which is probably over fill.
Same here. Cruising in 6th @ 65-75 MPH I get 49 MPG. Of course, if you're sport riding in the twistys @ 7K RPM, all bets are off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Mudbug said:
On the highway, I get between 175 and 185 when the reserve light comes on, depending on average speed. I fill it to the bottom of the filler lip, which is probably over fill. Fill up is approx 4.1 gallons.

Highway and city usage, the reserve light come on around 150. Strickly city, the reserve light comes on around 132.
Pretty much the same here and I fill the same as you. I always fill while on the sidestand. My gauge will show just on the left edge of the white bar for full when it get stable.

I wonder if some of you with lower values have crushed or deformed tanks?

04GT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
out of gas

I continuously can get about 170 to 180 miles before my light comes on and have gone over 200 on a tank several times. I don't understand the low milage some of you get? I fill to the rim with bike of the stand, I do this on my way to work never on the way home because it will over flow. And my gas gage sets on the edge of the white and holds there for about 75 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
cihm said:
I continuously can get about 170 to 180 miles before my light comes on and have gone over 200 on a tank several times. I don't understand the low milage some of you get? I fill to the rim with bike of the stand, I do this on my way to work never on the way home because it will over flow. And my gas gage sets on the edge of the white and holds there for about 75 miles.
Well said. My '04 KRS fuel consumption is exactly like your bike.
Most mileage is between 42-46mpg. average. The lowest mileage is on the interstate. Mileage dips to 38-39mpg. when running a constant 75-80+.
The motorcycle has 12,600mi.(put on in 7 months) on it and the mileage was never below 40mpg since the day I bought it new.
Bruce C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Rpms!

Cruising in 6th @ 65-75 MPH I get 49 MPG. Of course, if you're sport riding in the twistys @ 7K RPM, all bets are off.
I think this explains alot. My RPMS in town are almost exclusive in the 4-5k region, most the 5K. My mileage is averaging 26mpg. I usually don't shift out of 3rd when around town. I don't think I've had my bike in 6th gear but once since owning it. (one month). I also accelerate rather quickly and don't upshift until around 5.5K. For those of you getting gas mileage in the 40's, how are you riding this bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
GJBushman said:
I think this explains alot. My RPMS in town are almost exclusive in the 4-5k region, most the 5K. My mileage is averaging 26mpg. I usually don't shift out of 3rd when around town. I don't think I've had my bike in 6th gear but once since owning it. (one month). I also accelerate rather quickly and don't upshift until around 5.5K. For those of you getting gas mileage in the 40's, how are you riding this bike?
Simply put. Run the bike like you would run your car. Use 6th around 55-60mph. Then see what happens to your gas mileage.
Bruce C
 

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Riding Style

Jamie,

I think your riding style has a lot to do with your gas mileage. My MPG is a LOT better than yours, but my riding style around town is apparently much different from yours. I almost always get into 4th and even 5th around town. My shifting (around town) is usually at 4K, sometimes below that. And you talk about your inclination to rapid acceleration (hard NOT to, with so much horsepower to play with!), while I am usually about the same as the cars around me.

I've noticed that I get top MPG if I'm on the freeway at about 65MPH in 6th, but it gets worse at my usual cruising speed which is faster than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like I'm definitely missing about 50 miles of range a the top of the tank. Others reported that the needle stays pegged on full for 50 to 70 miles. Mine started moving immediately and was at 1/2 full at 50 miles. That would be ok at 100 miles so I guess I need to figure out next time I fill up how to get about 1.25 more gallons of gas into the top of the tank. For those of you in less fanatical states, I'll mention that CA has fume suckers on all the pumps and sometimes it can be hard to keep them going to add that last gallon but I haven't had any trouble on my other bike.

Thanks for all your responses,
Jerry
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top