BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings...

I am one of those riders who doesn't do work on his own bike. I've always gone to the dealer. That having been said, there are a ton of things about the inner workings of my K1300GT with which I am unfamiliar.

One of those things are the two tubes that hang below the bike. I've always thought one was attached to the over flow hole at the gas tank for when I add too much gas. It doesn't happen too often, but I have seen gas on the ground under the bike when I put in too much gas.

This evening, after my ride home (two hours on the bike), I parked in the garage, turned off the bike and let it rest on the kick stand. As soon as I got off, I noticed a liquid draining from one of the tubes under the bike.

My question is... to what are those two tubes connected? I'm 99% certain it's not gas as there isn't that smell.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

· Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
374 Posts
Pretty sure one line is fuel for exactly what you mentioned, and i think the other is crank case ventilation. They are not connected. Im assumimg you're seeing a little engine oil that was vapour condensing and dribbling from the tube. Nothing to worry about.

· Registered
K1200GT 2006
34 Posts
Crank vent goes up to the airbox. Never a vehicle will drain oil on to the street, unless someone has altered the lines OR you have severe blow-by and your airbox is drained in oil. It'll find a way out. I've figured out the hard way...

· Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,553 Posts
1) drain for water at the fuel filler, that little hole you see when you open the gas cap
2) over flow from radiator surge tank, where you check and add water
3) in USA it is a drain line, vent from the charcoal vapor collector that services the gas tank
(#2 is the one you need to pinch off when refilling the coolant via the vacuum process, along with the line coming out of the radiator cap neck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts