BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tomorrow I pick up a 2009 K 1300 GTA with Angel GT twos on it with 300 miles the owner is very honest with me he tells me the tires are terrible they follow grooves in the road he said if I was keeping the bike I would take them off he’s telling me he thinks I should do the same I thought these were the bomb he says he has heard in the forums That the older angel GT’s are better so what should I get for this bike if these are not going to make me happy as well

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a Bridgestone fan boy. In terms of grip and feel for a heavier bike ridden hard, I'd go with Battlax like a T32.
If I was seeking more longevity, I'd go with something like a Michelin Road 5.
Battalax tires are the worst thing I ever had they came on my BMW K 1600 grand American from the factory I couldn’t get them off fast enough I put Road smart threes on them I will probably buy those again for this bike unless somebody tells me differently. Believe it or not I’ve had really good luck with Shinko Apex or Verdes for my K1200S. I may not have as big an issue as the current owner because around by me everything is asphalt he’s complaining about the concrete freeways and roads we don’t have a lot of those. I don’t ride the freeways That’s what frontage roads and Canyon are for

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very valid. I don't think T32s would pair well with a bike like a k1600. Too much weight for them in my experience. I had them on a bike that maybe weighed 450lbs and they felt slow to turn in, but I was okay with the grip and wear. There is a lot of concrete up here though so there's always a balance to consider.

I'm actually going to pick up some Roadsmart 3s for my k1200s in a couple weeks as they are pretty cheap, and I've never tried Dunlap before. Heard good things about them. I have to go up to a 55 on the rear because of availability. I have Beech's risers installed so a taller rear tire should be very interesting. Going up to a 55 on my 929rr really allows it to dive into corners.

I've never ridden anything with Shinko tires. Maybe I'll give those a try on my old gsxr when I finish it, if I ever do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
tomorrow I pick up a 2009 K 1300 GTA with Angel GT twos on it with 300 miles the owner is very honest with me he tells me the tires are terrible they follow grooves in the road he said if I was keeping the bike I would take them off he’s telling me he thinks I should do the same I thought these were the bomb he says he has heard in the forums That the older angel GT’s are better so what should I get for this bike if these are not going to make me happy as well
Interesting, this is the second motorbike forum that finds the new Angel GT's rubbish. The previous generation of GTs are apparently way better. My GT has brand new Michies on it, no issues so far. My other bike runs Bridgestone Battlax T31's and also no issues....definitely "horses for courses "

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very valid. I don't think T32s would pair well with a bike like a k1600. Too much weight for them in my experience. I had them on a bike that maybe weighed 450lbs and they felt slow to turn in, but I was okay with the grip and wear. There is a lot of concrete up here though so there's always a balance to consider.

I'm actually going to pick up some Roadsmart 3s for my k1200s in a couple weeks as they are pretty cheap, and I've never tried Dunlap before. Heard good things about them. I have to go up to a 55 on the rear because of availability. I have Beech's risers installed so a taller rear tire should be very interesting. Going up to a 55 on my 929rr really allows it to dive into corners.

I've never ridden anything with Shinko tires. Maybe I'll give those a try on my old gsxr when I finish it, if I ever do.
Have RoadSmart 3s love them on my K1600
Shinko Verge on my 1200s 180 55 17s are the factory size

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got 190 50 17s on mine. Weird. I have thinner tires on my other bikes, but they are way smaller and lighter.

I haven't seen a tire with two straight grooves down the middle. I have a very old "Duro" front tire on my project bike to roll it around, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with it on the road. Too much of a consistent contact patch loss in my mind.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well I bought the bike and I got it home and I’m looking at the tires there’s two grooves right down the center no wonder they follow grooves in the road
I know a lot of people who complain of this on other bikes. They're supposed to be a good tyre apart from that. Obvs you won't know til you try it yourself on your local roads.

I use the Michelin Road 5 (GT version) on my K1300GT and they're incredible in wet and very good in the dry and they last a long time. The Road 6 has just come out and is apparently even better (not just road tests but friends say so) so I'll be using those.

I mistakenly fitted some Metzeler Roadtec 01 (SE version) and I don't like them. The compound/tread pattern grips well in wet or dry but they make the bike understeer alarmingly and the front gets too close to the edge for my liking. Btw, Pirelli and Metzeler are the same firm (Pirelli bought Metzeler a while back) so I'd assume the Angel GT and the Roadtec 01 share some design elements (could even be the same tyre with a different tread pattern).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been running a Battleax on the rear on my K1300 Gt 2009 and a road 5 on the front and it feels great, corners like it's on rails. Tyre pressure is the key.
Funny how some such combinations work well. Agree re pressure. On the GT I never let the front go below 36psi but run the rear at 40, not 42. I find it has to be the "GT" (heavy duty) tyre. With a non-heavy-duty one, any drop from standard pressures make them squirm.

I've just put a Mezeler M9RR on the rear of the 1300S and gives exremely good steering and grip, including in the wet. M5 at front will be replaced with an M9 when its worn a bit more. Doubt these would be so good on the 1300GT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my introduction into a k 1300 after many oilheads running Road 2s however the K 1300 is a very different beast. This bike needs some thought and is much more responsive and requires different tyre choices. That said tee choice is a personal thing, where ever feels good probably Is good. Just keep the rubber side down. Good riding guys.

·
Registered
2004 K12GT
11 Posts
The rear tyre ie softer and the front harder and on a bike as heavy as the K1300 Gt the front does the bulk of the work.
I find that interesting. I would expect the front to be softer as it has all the steering and braking which requires the most friction. One of the reasons it's typically 2 front to 1 rear on replacements.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The rear tyre ie softer and the front harder and on a bike as heavy as the K1300 Gt the front does the bulk of the work.
I’m not so sure that’s the case. The usual tyre life for me is 2 rears to 1 front. The rear experiences acceleration forces a lot more than the front experiences braking forces which wears the rear quicker. Bike riders being what we are like to give the bike a squirt frequently which transmits a lot of HP through the rear tyre. Braking is generally predictive and more gentle. Just my thoughts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts