BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New street bike rider. I have a 03 k-1200rs. Went on 400 mile ride. I had lots of pain between my shoulder blades. Some back pain near end of ride. Is there any fix? Thanks Don

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Lots of stuff missing in the question. :confused:

Age?
Physical shape?
New rider tenseness?
Bad posture?

If it's age, everything hurts after anything. Trust me. Better to focus on what doesn't hurt. Takes less time to count what doesn't hurt too, imho.

Then there are meds too....at the end of the ride, or maybe an Advil or something beforehand if it's really bothering you. I've had (anti-motorcycle) docs tell me 25 years ago that I needed to stop riding motorcycles for my own health and safety. Hasn't done much good - or so it seems.

Fwiw, sometimes I get a really bad right neck and shoulder cramp if I don't get off the thing and do a Walk-About to relax and stretch the sore muscles out a bit. Might be helmet buffeting or the sheer weight of it. Dunno why, but riding more than an hour without doing some sort of stretching or something always leads to a cramp someplace.

The car is good for maybe 400 miles before it needs to stop for a break (gas). I'm not.

Mack

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pain

Thinks Mack, I will be 62 this month. I have raced dirt bikes for almost 40 years. I still do. I am in pretty good shape. I am 5' 10" ( use to be 5' 11") you sink over the years, 160 pounds. Could fighting the wind cause the pain? Would taller windshield help? Bar backs? Thinks again. Don

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Your riding position on the RS is probably much more forward and aggressive then anything you're used to and you're using a completely new set of muscles. Ride some more and maybe you'll break yourself in, maybe not. Maybe a set of bar backs? Or maybe a GT. ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Could be the bike is too smooth for you, you need to be in a paint shaker off road.

It could be the wind over the windscreen, it does have a lot of turbulance. I am about the same age and height but have 30 lbs more and have never had any pain as you in over 7 years on this model.

You may need bar backs.

One other think, I had noticed when getting on a new ride, you may just be tense from the excitement and that will cause your muscles to tighten up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
May be you are locking your elbows, that will keep your back in one position...causing pain. I've noticed that when I ride, at times I'll lock my elbows or back when riding the hwy.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
bazra said:
...One other thing, I had noticed when getting on a new ride, you may just be tense from the excitement and that will cause your muscles to tighten up.
+! on that.

When I test ride anything, I get tense. The Ducati Streetfighter I rode was much the same even though it was easily more flickable and half the weight of the GT. You just naturally tighten-up on an unknown.

When I bought the GT, I took it for an immediate 1000 mile trip before the first scheduled service (Yeah. 600 miles and then some.) a week later before heading home. I was tight the whole trip learning the thing and did a few dumb moves in the interim too which didn't help.

Somewhere I once heard that one is to "Never take a pillion on the bike until you've got 1000 miles on it so you can learn and meld with it." May explain your tightness still.

You may loosen up in time. Good luck and enjoy the beast.

Mack

·
Registered
19 Posts
GMack said:
Fwiw, sometimes I get a really bad right neck and shoulder cramp if I don't get off the thing and do a Walk-About to relax and stretch the sore muscles out a bit. Might be helmet buffeting or the sheer weight of it. Dunno why, but riding more than an hour without doing some sort of stretching or something always leads to a cramp someplace.
Mack
Hmmmppphh, me, too on the K1200GT. Right shoulder, way up high where it meets my neck. Makes it hard to take the helmet off after awhile. Sometimes, I've got tears streaming down my face (I'm a girl, I can do that ;-p) as the muscles burn while removing my helmet.

On my RT, not so much. I can ride twice the distance before I feel the ache. Thought it was just me.

The GT is a much more aggressive forward lean angle, whereas the RT is laidback cruiser style. Now that I think about it, using the mouse at my workstation causes the same ache. Maybe, I should have my chair and desk traded in for an RT cockpit. Just a thought. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try to be aware of your posture the whole trip, this will really contribute to the fatigue. Until it become second nature you will fall back on your old habbits (bad posture). I had a lot better time when I consciously relax. Also when I got some techspec tank grip side pads that I could support myself with my knees and legs this really helped my distance riding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
pawprint2104 said:
Thought it was just me.
Nope nope ... you are in good company. Was not nearly so bad until the 5 day stint I just did, it has never gone away. Need to sort it out because the bike stays ... so the shoulder better shape up or it goes bye bye. :teeth

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Good advice.. Your muscles will adapt to some extent after perhaps 1000 miles.. Risers will make things a little more comfy and bring the bars a little closer. I'd try risers before you try a new windshield, lowered pegs, etc... I'll assume your seat is already in the low position?

Robert_W said:
Your riding position on the RS is probably much more forward and aggressive then anything you're used to and you're using a completely new set of muscles. Ride some more and maybe you'll break yourself in, maybe not. Maybe a set of bar backs? Or maybe a GT. ;)

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I think you need to ride faster to stop the shoulder ache :) . But then you might still get some leg cramp pain.

I've got comfort bar risers which help, but they still aren't so agressively straight back as the LT's.

More problems come if you start messing with the ergos when the bike is designed more as a sport bike than a cruiser. The comfort level and shoulder support relies on the wind rush at speed for support and stability.

Around town at low speeds I still get some shoulder ache. The advice is to support your upper torso from the lower muscles, but there is still a tendency to rest on the grips. If you are getting sore hands and wrists, then the airflow and lower muscles aren't providing the support. I wear a heavy leather jacket when it's cooler which seems to reduce the shoulder stress, you get the same with jackets that have a Kevlar spine protector.

Adding a bigger screen can make the shoulder pain worse unless you deal with the bars and then the peg height enters the equation.

It becomes a conundrum of options where none provide the same ride comfort as a cruiser. But then these are fast bikes and you can reduce the pain by getting there quicker and with more fun. :)

After 3 months it gets better. But in my own mind I question why my body has to adapt to the bike and not the bike being designed to give me comfort. If you stop riding for even 3 weeks, you'll need an hours riding to get back into it again. It all seems like the furniture salesman telling me my body is wrong and not his furniture!

I also found the suspension so hard for our roads my back was being jarred. I think that can make the shoulder pain worse. After I fitted Gel pads to my seat, the spine jarring went away.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The shoulder that has cramped up on me (actually it doesn't cramp, it just feels like it is burning - no loss of movement or pain - just the burning sensation) and one thing I have done that seems to help is to lighten up the throttle springs. Pretty easy mod, just takes time to get to it. I spent a lot of time making sure the throttle was closing quickly and completely and that is working fine. I am able to loosen my grip on the gorilla throttle now considerably. I have also noted the bike responds a lot better now. It is much more sensitive, took me a few miles to get readjusted to how quick I can open the throttle now. Been a week so far and the shoulder feels much better (though it still bothers me from a 5 day ride over a week ago - next week is 6 days to Idaho ... I will either be pleased or crippled, not sure which just yet).

You can find the mod instructions on Pirates site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts