BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the misfortune of having my screen trashed in an accident. Structurely it's still sound, but scratched badly.

Question is: Is it worth maybe painting it same colour as bike? (Orient Blue)... may require some shortening for visibility. :confused:

Has anyone out there tried this... Pics would be awesome.... all comments welcome...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Modify screen... options

Vanguard said:
Had the misfortune of having my screen trashed in an accident. Structurely it's still sound, but scratched badly.

Question is: Is it worth maybe painting it same colour as bike? (Orient Blue)... may require some shortening for visibility. :confused:

Has anyone out there tried this... Pics would be awesome.... all comments welcome...
Actually, good idea to customize look of bike. I was thinking that possibly an application of some vinyl film because you can get in a wide array of colors and\or color combinations. I haven't begun researching options yet. Let us know what you come up with for your screen.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
PM fasteddieb. He did something similar to K-Rapido. Looks good to me, but your opinion may vary.
Vanguard said:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I painted the underside of my short shield because it had a lot of fine scatches in it - which won't do much to cover up scratches that need to be sanded out. But it was very easy to do and looks very good (IMO). I went ahead and painted my comfort shield the same way when I orderd a tinted Laminar Lip.

I picked up a semi-gloss spray paint and taped off the front and edges of the screen. Then I applied about 10 very thin coats to avoid any runs in the paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Vanguard said:

The windscreen is almost certainly made of lexan. Lexan is VERY solvent sensitive! If you use standard automotive paint, then you run the near-certain risk of ruining the thing. Those small scatches, when exposed to the normal (and very aggressive) solvents in most paints, can widen and propagate to unsightly size. Later, craze-cracking can develop.

Lexan (polycarbonate) can ONLY be painted with paints specifically inteded for this material. More information is available on the GE Plastics website, and also from Bayer (whose brand name for their polycarbonate resin is Makrolon).

Bob.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, thanks for all the replies (and esp. pics) .... Knew I could count on this crowd ...

I have decided to go ahead with the paint job (thanks for the heads-up Bob) ... will post pictures once bike is back from repairs...

·
Banned
294 Posts
hare ware store paint with clear coat

perfect match

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts