BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do the itty bitty panier bags have the same loading capacity as the RS system cases? are they worth their price and are there alternative bag options?

·
Registered
43 Posts
No..these are much smaller..but look great if that counts for anything. Search the board as there are many posts on alternative options with larger capacity.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Roadie29 said:
No..these are much smaller..but look great if that counts for anything. Search the board as there are many posts on alternative options with larger capacity.
As Roadie29 says there are others but I have not seen, IMHO, any that compare with ease of on/off or looks. True, I have had to rethink the packing process and now use vacuum plastic bags for clothing. Works really well. Air is removed manually, no devices needed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
belga1976 said:
do the itty bitty panier bags have the same loading capacity as the RS system cases? are they worth their price and are there alternative bag options?
They're smaller but I must say, I've been on a couple of multi day trips and can get everything I need in them (and my Marsee tail bag) without expanding them at all.
You do have to pack everything perfect but it can be done.
One thing to note is that although they are a little smaller, the exhaust doesn't take up half of one of the bags like the older K1200RS/GT.
Additionally, the bags are expandable if needed. A full face helmet will fit when fully expanded and they go on and off the bike easier than any other bag BMW has developed to date. It took a little while for them to "grow on me" in a few areas but IMHO, for the K1200S, these bags are almost perfect.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't take many long trips, but I did last week - 2800+ miles in 8 days.
I bought the soft Givi T418 Tail bag and Givi T421 saddlebags for $200.
They worked fine.
Yes, I would rather have the BMW bags, but the cost was too much for me to justify with the amount of traveling I do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would say that the sports panniers are brilliant,they are easy to open and attach or remove from the bike,they expand large enough and besides that they still keep the bike looking sporty and also when you don't have the bags attached there is no ugly frame showing up,i would say the one of the best pannier systems available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love them too, but hear that they are not waterproof - I don't know this firsthand - yet. I wonder if it's just the cases or also the liners that are not waterproof?

·
Registered
45 Posts
mark5lam said:
They're smaller but I must say, I've been on a couple of multi day trips and can get everything I need in them (and my Marsee tail bag) without expanding them at all.
You do have to pack everything perfect but it can be done.
One thing to note is that although they are a little smaller, the exhaust doesn't take up half of one of the bags like the older K1200RS/GT.
Additionally, the bags are expandable if needed. A full face helmet will fit when fully expanded and they go on and off the bike easier than any other bag BMW has developed to date. It took a little while for them to "grow on me" in a few areas but IMHO, for the K1200S, these bags are almost perfect.
Which Marsee tail bag do youhave?

·
Registered
45 Posts
belga1976 said:
I use the BMW bags on the KS. THey're small, but expand enough to take whatever I need. And, they look great, as well as "fit the airstream" of the bike.

For a larger alternative check out this site. :
http://sw-motech.de

Choose English then follow the link to the KS>

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ridesmith said:
I love them too, but hear that they are not waterproof - I don't know this firsthand - yet. I wonder if it's just the cases or also the liners that are not waterproof?
The bags are not really waterproof..more so water resistent. The liners are waterproof as I have driven through a few heavy rainstorms with these bags. To be safe, I usually pack my stuff in green garabage bags to keep my clothes dry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just ordered a set of BMW bags for the K1200S . They are a grat match to the reodynamics of bike. Question , have any of you done your own install of rack mount and bags. Sierra BMW is keying the locks to match the ignition key. anyy special tools needed or tricks? Appreciate the input

·
Registered
113 Posts
kepasa said:
I just ordered a set of BMW bags for the K1200S . They are a grat match to the reodynamics of bike. Question , have any of you done your own install of rack mount and bags. Sierra BMW is keying the locks to match the ignition key. anyy special tools needed or tricks? Appreciate the input
The rack mount is easy, should take you 15-20 minutes. All you need is a set of Torx keys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Very easy to install just follow the instructions,you will find they are the right bags and they are very sporty looking as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
At some unknown location, today I did 175 on the speedo with the pannier bags and numerous times to 140 or so and not nary a wiggle from the bike...............!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts