BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
As I am a tight bugger I purchased K1200S Panniers off Ebay, the question is how do I modify them to take my keys, the damm thing won't start when I put the pannier key on the keyring as the immobiliser gets confused between the bike key and the pannier key.

It did save me £200.00!

Cheers

Dibbley

·
Registered
161 Posts
What color was the key supplied? The panniers key should be grey ,not black. If its black that is probably the issue.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Pannier key was grey, just tried it again and the bike will now start, must have been finger trouble on my part, can I modify the lock or do BMW have to do it? That is to fit the ignition key.
Thanks for the reply.

Dibbley

·
Registered
302 Posts
Dibbley,

Please do not put the locks into the holes in the bag latch mechanism! If you happened to do this you will have to see if someone else can help you get them out as I don't know how.

The way I did it was to insert my ignition key into the locks supplied with the bags. Next lightly file the "tabs" that remain outside the cylinder flush with the outside surface. Finally I would insert the ignition key multiple times to make sure the key would actuate tthe tabs smoothly. Minor polishing may be necessary to make the tabs move freely.

Next clean all filings off the cylinder and lube the cylinder. Insert the cylinder into the bag as directed in the provided instructions. Repeat for the other side.

Some simular directions on the old style cylinder are posted on Pirates web site I think.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for that, now how do I get the locks out? Sorry to sound daft, but I did undo the 3 screws and no amount of pushing/pulling would enable me to remove the locks.

Dibbley

·
Registered
349 Posts
There is a tab that is spring loaded furthest away from where the key goes in that locks the lock cylinder in place. To be able to get the lock cylinder out you will have to see if you can depress this tab. It will depress easy enough but getting to it could be very difficult. Call your local dealer and ask them how to do it. If you do get the lock out don't go to filing first. Move the lock tabs around to see if you can avoid some filing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dibbley,

Please do not put the locks into the holes in the bag latch mechanism! If you happened to do this you will have to see if someone else can help you get them out as I don't know how.

The way I did it was to insert my ignition key into the locks supplied with the bags. Next lightly file the "tabs" that remain outside the cylinder flush with the outside surface. Finally I would insert the ignition key multiple times to make sure the key would actuate tthe tabs smoothly. Minor polishing may be necessary to make the tabs move freely.

Next clean all filings off the cylinder and lube the cylinder. Insert the cylinder into the bag as directed in the provided instructions. Repeat for the other side.

Some simular directions on the old style cylinder are posted on Pirates web site I think.

Good Luck!
Old thread revived by spamming bot, but thought i would give any future readers some help.

The described method with filing the tabs is NOT how to do it, first things first.

Do not buy locked panniers that do not have a key supplied with them....if you do you will have to break in to the pannier. If you buy unlocked and opened panniers the lockcylinders must be removed with the key they are coded for, otherwise you will still have to break stuff to get them out.

Unlock and open the pannier and leave key in place, use whatever screwdriver needed to dismantle the lock mechanism, now depress the locktab on the cylinder that is farthest away from the key, now the lockcylinder with key in it can be taken out.
Slowly remove key whilst holding the locktabs with your fingers (do not just yank the key out, the tabs are springloaded and all the parts are SMALL).

Take your bike's ignitionkey and follow this video on how to rearrange the tabs to fit your key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts