BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a 25" (+8") Parabellum on my 03 KRS this week. I opted for the KGT screen since I run the GT handguards in the winter. I had been running a Ztechnic tall shield in the winter and Ztechnic short shield in the summer. Bought the tall Ztechnic because my stock shield had some major scratches on it when I bought it.

With the Ztechnic tall shield installed, the wind hit right in the middle of my face shield. For reference, I'm 6'2", 34" inseam and am using a GT seat. With the Ztechnic short shield mounted, the wind hits mid chest, perfect for summer riding. But, for our brutal winters here in Phoenix, I wanted a bit more protection. With the Parabellum mounted in the low position, the wind hits the top of my helmet, above the face shield. Just enough to provide some air to the helmet vents. I didn't try the high position, but I suspect it would have pushed the wind completly over my head.

The added protection does have one drawback. Comming back down into mid 80 temperatures from low 60's up north, I noticed that the vents on my jacket didn't flow nearly as much air as with the shorter shields. No big surprise there.

The mounting system is a bit different that stock or Ztechnic (which are the same). You have to bolt up angled brackets to the stock arms and then screw them to the screen. Not terribly difficult, but it will slow down the swap back to the summer screen.

Riding in traffic at 75+, the turbulence causes some flex in the shield. Not a big deal, and it disappears as soon as you clear traffic. I didn't notice this on my Ztechnic, but then again, it wasn't 9 ft. tall either.

One final warning if you're considering one of these things. Its imperative that you exercise great caution when parking the bike. You want to make sure that your return to the bike is from the rear if at all possible. You don't want to catch a look at this thing from the front after a big greasy burger. She ain't no beauty queen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have just put on a Parabellum screen this weekend, but I think it must be a shorter version than yours as I think it looks pretty good on my K12GT. It is tinted which helps in the looks department. The wind protection is just about right when in the low position.

I purchased mine via the internet from a chap in Queensland Australia. He didn't provide any instructions so I 'made it up' when I fitted it. I'd appreciate a picture of your setup to confirm that I have fitted it correctly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's an attempt at getting useful pictures of the mounts. You'll see that I have an Avant Guard radar detector bracket mounted to the top windscreen mounting arms. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for that Harry. I will have to refit mine as I didn't get it quite right.
I'll post a before and after picture when I'm done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Parabellum 25

I installed the 25" on my KGT Saturday. I ride every day and this move was made to cut down on wind noise.
First, the look is good for me. I am not looking for a bike that looks "sexy" I look for one that works every day.
The Only thing I have found is that the mounds have a hard time lifting the shield at speed......
The wind noise is a lot less. Here is how I know this. My XM Roady had to run at level 7 with the stock shield to listen to talk radio, now it is set at 3 and it sounds great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gosh, you look a bit too young to be riding a big bike like that Stefan.
Just kidding. I agree with the wind noise reduction. The stock screen seems to howl at 100Km/h or more. I am very happy with the Parabellum - it seems to have the right wind flow when at the low setting and the increased drag effect is not quite so bad at this setting. Have you noticed a reduction in fuel economy over the stock screen?

·
Registered
50 Posts
To be honest I have not givien this much attention. As luck would have it I have to fill up every two days so I will let you know findings in a few days.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Roady2

The roady2 that I have has a volume level adjustment.
Push the menu button
go down 3 to volme control you should se numbers from 0 to 10

select the number you want and push enter.......done

Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Motorad
I am thinking of putting that shield on my 02 rs but have a couple of questions about it.
1 do you look thru the shield or over it when in the low position ?
2 is the top part swept up or straight so as if need be cut down a little i can do so without disturbing the air flow of it ?
thanks steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
I, at 6' look over the shield when I ride. Even in the up position I can look over it. (just so)
The top of the shield is swept back and I guess you can cut it if you need to . It works well for me at that I have not used it in the up position at all. I think that that will be only for rainy days.....
Please let me know if you have any more questions and good luck....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried a bit of an experiment yesterday. While digging around some boxes in the garage I came across a few feet of Saeng Edging that I had tried on a Parabellum on an Oilhead. I attached the edging to the Parabellum and went for a ride.

It did seem to perform as advertised. The airflow was pushed higher still on my helmet, and a bit further out on the sides. At my first gas stop I raised the screen to the high position. I could just see over the top of the screen. The airflow now was somewhere way above my helmet. The sensation was something like driving my old 67 MGB, although I seldom wore a full face helmet in the B. I did notice that with the screen raised, there was considerably more air hitting my chest. When the screen is raised, the screen lifts off from the point where it meets the GT handguards, leaving a good sized gap.

My raised screen experiment ended abruptly when a large box truck passed in the opposite lane and the screen slammed down. I was going about 70 at the time, and guess the truck was doing about the same. Don't know if this was due to the air caught by the edging, or if I didn't tighten the mounts enough.

The edging makes the screen resemble my old R100RT. I'll probably keep it on for awhile. Since the top is below my line of sight, it isn't very distracting.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you go to Radio Shack for about 5 bucks you can buy an inline volume control which makes it lots easier to raise and lower the volume. It plugs into the Roady and then your headphones plug into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts