BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode to Vologda - an old Russian city about 500 km north from Moscow. Left home at around 10 am and 6 hours later dropped the bags at hotel "Spasskaya" in Vologda. Had dinner and walked around the city center. The weather was nice and the city was cosy and neat. I like Russian cities not ruined by war and bolsheviks.
The next morning visited Kirillovo-Belozersky monastery(14th century) 120 km north from Vologda. Very scenic place and a lot of foreign tourists. Enjoyed some time there and headed home. 1300 km and very nice weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
chuckwilmot said:
Wow, nice pics Vladimir. Beautiful buildings, and absolutely fascinating to us on this side of the world.
I'm with Chuck. It's really nice to see your perspective.

How's the wife liking the FST?

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SKIZIKS said:
I'm with Chuck. It's really nice to see your perspective.

How's the wife liking the FST?
She was my pillion, unfortunately. Has not yet recovered her brocken wrist - she is unable to operate the clutch yet. And you can imagine how I suffer - to ride with the pillion and to hear the rant about missing FST :)
But we hope in 10-14 days she will resume riding(touch wood). I have to install Baehr interbike comunication device with PTT on her FST and Laser slip-on(she prohibited to do it though, I mean Laser) :)
There were four busses with foreign tourists there - all English speaking at that time.
Then all the busses left and we remained in a silence. WOW! That's it!

·
Registered
459 Posts
+1 on the pics, awesome! I love trompin' around old places in Europe and I don't even know why.

Hey, are you sure your not a poser? you kinda look like..an american! :rotf:

ahem...sorry, couldn't help myself...again...

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ldbikin said:
+1 on the pics, awesome! I love trompin' around old places in Europe and I don't even know why.

Hey, are you sure your not a poser? you kinda look like..an american! :rotf:

ahem...sorry, couldn't help myself...again...
The roots...
You should have paid taxes and still remained the citizens of HRM :)

Do I look like an American from Fort Ross, CA? :)

The bike was flawless in the air t=+30+32C. I tested my new bullet camera and Arcos 504 HDD. Did not like the quality of the picture - of the first cell phones cameras. The Arcos surprisignly well standed the road bumps but switched off after three hours of work due to low battery. Though the manual stated 10 hours of work. And it became so hot travelling in my tankbag without ventilation that I could boil water on it.
Also had a chance to test the new headlight protection from Australia - worked great!
And installed the Motolights - first did not like the look of the bike but when switched them on - loved them! :) Where is Just Joe with his "New Year tree"? :)
And what made me uneasy were the side bags - the "free play" of the back support is about 1 inch now. I have to do something - it's high time.

·
Registered
459 Posts
That was kind of a "loaded" comment easy...

there are so many types of people in the USA ANYONE could be an American...but ya, you do kindof look like a Californian!! :)

what is HRM?? Ya lost me on that one!

My boss did a 3 week trip a couple months ago and that inlcuded a tour in Russia. Maybe he was on that bus! He and his wife said it was fascinating, they really enjoyed the trip.

My folks were there about 20-25 yrs ago and said the same thing.

I can never believe how big that country is!

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
gee, my historical memory obviously sux! :)

And..although I'm from ole miss, spent the last 40 yrs or so as a michigander, family moved to phoenix 2 yrs ago and I just got there in Jan this year, I only spend some of the wkend home!

Soooo...I'm in socal 9 months of the year working since this it was the closest transfer I could get (and by law, no more than that as an arizonian, re, tax laws, etc)....

Sooooo....having clarified all that....I STILL think he looks more like a Californian!! :rotf:

·
5,163 Posts

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Razel said:
Ft. Ross...last Russian outpost on the California coast. Russians eventually sold it to John Sutter, the guy that had the property in the foothills where gold was discovered, starting the California Gold Rush
Yes, and the amount of gold found and digged out there was 10000 times more than the sum received for Alaska.
Good deal :)

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rhhall said:
I believe he is referring to the colonists paying taxes to His Royal Majesty (HRM). Roots of the American Revolution and all that.
Thank you, Richard! :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
ya'll are killin me, arharh... :rotf:

In retrospect on Alaska, thank you for the sale, ya'll got screwed on that one!!:)

But hey, we'll make it up if your ever out this way, barby and beer should do it!

man, how do you guys remember history?? I like real history and historical things but I barely passed the class in high school!!! :wtf

I'm one of those guys who keep's pulling the bike over to read the historical plates along the roadways, I think I've learned more from those than I ever have from a textbook...some are amazing, especially out west.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ldbikin said:
ya'll are killin me, arharh... :rotf:

In retrospect on Alaska, thank you for the sale, ya'll got screwed on that one!!:)

But hey, we'll make it up if your ever out this way, barby and beer should do it!

man, how do you guys remember history?? I like real history and historical things but I barely passed the class in high school!!! :wtf

I'm one of those guys who keep's pulling the bike over to read the historical plates along the roadways, I think I've learned more from those than I ever have from a textbook...some are amazing, especially out west.
Ha, and what if we join you - the United States of AmeRussia! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts