BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the mv peg lowering kit. They included a shorter brake plunger to lower the brake pedal. The gear shifter needs to be lower. Can I shorten the linkage by using the adjustments on the pushrod?

I also installed the MV bar backs. It definitely puts them up and back. It takes some effort to get it done. It would be easy to do now that I figured it out. The instructions are almost worthless.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That's what's holding me back from installing the mv bars and the mv pegs.
How long did it take you to install them?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peg lowering time

Lowering the pegs is fairly easy. Takes less than as hour. the instructions are in German.
You can deduce it from the pictures. You need to change out the brake plunger to the master cylinder-- this is difficult to determine from the pics, but I have a friend that is german and he translated and it helped.

The bars take about 3 hours doing it alone. Others have had help, report shorter times. I am not knowledgeable in mechanics,nor am I stupid. I would have preferred very specific instructions. I am a little uncomfortable with the rerouting of the brake and clutch lines. I unzipped tied them to achieve length, but now they are more "free" with more bends and less attachment points.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I will most likely have the bars done by the dealer and do the pegs myself. I saw that extra piece of hardware included in the package. I guess this is the brake plunger.

·
Registered
505 Posts
zzrman said:
Can't understand why people who buy an S then fit bar risers and footpeg kits to it. Why not wait and buy a GT?
I couldn't agree more. If you want to lower the pegs and raise the bars, you have obviously bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lower pegs

Gee, I wish you guys told me this before I spent all this time and money. Seriously, you may be right. I am going to ride it a while and make up my mind. I like the stock set up for short trips, but after an hour or so, my neck and wrists bother me. I hope the changes reduce this discomfort. If not, I'll switch it back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
One size doesn't fit all

zzrman said:
Can't understand why people who buy an S then fit bar risers and footpeg kits to it. Why not wait and buy a GT?

Recently, I read in "Sportrider" a commentary by one of the editors lamenting the fact that more prospective buyers might purchase a "sportbike" if the manufacturers would only make the bikes with adjustable handlebars, pegs, and seats.

I kind of wondered why BMW chose NOT to put adjustable pegs and handlebars on the S. After all the older KRS bikes had adjustable bars.

The GT may work out for some, but it's a completely different bike. I saw it in person at the L.B. show and it seems to be geared toward RT riders. Just my opinion, but I think telling an S owner he'd be happier on the GT is like telling a boxer cup owner that he might be happier on an RT. Same motors, different animals.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't find the S's riding position at all extreme. It's nothing like a ZX 10 or a Fireblade or even a Blackbird. The set-up is IMHO sport touring. I sometimes wonder if those riders who have sore wrists and neck are making the mistake of supporting their upper body weight on their wrists when they should be using their back and abdominal muscles for that purpose.

I can understand those with longer legs than me (I'm 5' 11'' with average build and 32" inseam) might want to lower the pegs a bit, but the bar risers thing gets me completely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had clip on's before I became an ole fart

The KS had everything I wanted - 4 cy., H20 cooled, shaft, F.I., but the bars were too forward and low for extended riding. I used to put clip on bars on my early Honda's and Kaw. 2 strokes way back when. Now, they do hurt my wrists, even though I can still do 50 pushups. Funny how age actually DOES make you vunerable to muscle fatigue that yo can't even begin to imagine when you look at us ole farts and swear: "I'll never become one of those"!!!

The MV bar extenders worked wonders. Why, pray tell do you think they went to all that trouble to manufacture and market them if there wasn't a good market?

I had the dealer in Reno, NV do the replacement after seeing all the complicated machinery in the grips -- it took THEM 2 full hours and they don't want to do anyone elses! So to all the riders out there who did this modification themselves -- my hat's off to you.

Going as fast at 50 as I can and still make 60!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rider position / ergo's / usage are always going to be an issue on any mass produced bike. Using lower pegs runs into the compromise of lean angle and cornering however if the bars are set up more upright / pulled back the rider has the options of tucking in down low at high speed or sitting more upright if required. Low bars that require a forward leaning riding position, little or no torso lift due to screening and high loads on wrists / hands don't allow any flexibility or variation in rider position throughout the course of a days ride. IMHO the new GT has all the appeal of a cardboard box while the KS with a little flexibility in the rider position is visually pleasing, functional and more performance oriented.

The ability to vary rider position while underway does not detract from the form or function of the KS - it adds to it !

Cheers
Lenz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts