BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I was wondering if any of you have modified their K1300R/S bikes for a little more performance, and if so, which things did you upgrade? I have looked at Power Commanders, Quickshifters, Air filters and I also found something called a "Booster Plug" (which I have never heard of before), and I was wondering if any of them are worth the cost. Note that I live in europe so exhaust modifications are not really on the table, unless they are legal of course, but from experience most of them aren't. I am also not really looking for things like turbos and superchargers, I'd like to keep the (excellent) reliability and resell value of my bike fairly close to stock.

My goal would be to get around 10-15 additional hp out of the bike without having to sell a kidney, thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,481 Posts
Do you really spend a lot of time at 8 or 9.5K revolutions? If not you should. plenty of power there. The Booster plug fools the computer about the temperature of incoming air. Drops the read out by 20 degrees centigrade. It has a history of folks that call it snake oil and others who have had reasonable success. No increase of HP. it does keep the bike from stalling when stopping if that is a problem and it smooths out throttle transition when making small changes like in a corner. The alternative is Af-xied fuel ratio modifier which probably will not pass your annual inspection. The bike is what it is. If you really feel you would enjoy more HP, keep it for touring and buy a slightly used S1000RR. I have 2 K1300S bikes and a S1000R and the K bike is fast while the S bike is quick. They each have their place in the world. The K has a edge of a sport touring machine that is fast. Going faster than a K bike, well, it takes a different bike. One of my K bikes has a booser plug installed and it works for me. I also have in my parts bin an Af-xied unit and will be installing that to see if it helps smooth out the throttle on my second K machine. A fun winter project. If you go to the upper right in the menu bar there are three vertical dots, inside is "advanced search". Put your words such as "booster plug" in and choose the K1300 forum, you will find pages of discussion. Thank you for joining the forum and I home you share some of your experiences from Europe with us. Plus there is a good amount of information here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insight Beech! I indeed to spend quite a big amount of time in the high RPM range, got a pretty nice twisty road not too far away from my home and it's all first and second gear. Sadly I don't really have the option of getting another bike, let alone an S1000RR, the K1300S already stretched my budget haha.

So the Booster Plug just let's the bike run a bit richer, right? If so I might scratch that one and instead read into the Power commander. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hey Max. My mate put a power commander on his K1300S and it dynoed at 197 hp at the crank. Also check out the AF-XIED. Works similar to the booster plug but in my humble opinion does it better😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also check out the AF-XIED. Works similar to the booster plug but in my humble opinion does it better😁
From what I've read this is supposed to fix fueling issues and idle problems, but can it be considered a performance upgrade? I am a bit hesitant to go there since the fueling on my bike is to my liking, maybe I don't know what I am missing but I don't want to fix a problem I don't yet have. It also has a negative impact on fuel economy, right? Because with gas prices being quite high (1.9€/Litre // $7.5/Gallon) and this bikes range being barely adequate I wouldn't want to make it worse without having significant horsepower gains

·
Registered
362 Posts
No point in labouring the full Akra system as the OP is in Europe or the Power Commander to make that system work, so my preference is Wilbers suspension that has worked well from day 1 and a pair of aftermarket wheels either BST or Dymag….and a set of Jack up plates at the bottom of the Sus they really give the wheels a helping hand.

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
Both those last to items make serious sense. Especially the Wilbers shocks. And the weight savings of the battery probably is good also.
Just as an aside both those two fueling mods are minor adjustments at specific moments in fueling curves, neither improves or diminishes fuel consumption enough to notice. My high mileage bike gets about 40/40 miles per gallon and the low mile one gets about 51 mpg. I do not check for city economy as I avoid riding in the city at all.

·
Registered
631 Posts
“Unless you're jockey in tip top form a lighter battery is of negligible utility.”

Normally I would agree but not in the case of the k bikes. Their battery is placed at the very top of the bike which means the effort to move from side to side is noticeably increased compared to a battery placed lower down. The performance increase in this case comes in the handling with a weight reduction of 7lb needed to be accelerated and decelerated from side to side when cornering. Not to mention the other benefits. 😬

·
Registered
41 Posts
“Unless you're jockey in tip top form a lighter battery is of negligible utility.”

Normally I would agree but not in the case of the k bikes. Their battery is placed at the very top of the bike ...... Not to mention the other benefits. 😬
Yeah, the other benefits....a lithium battery fire right above the fuel tank!!! Thanks, but that's a benefit I can live without.

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
hey, get rid of 7 pounds (3Kg) equals adding 1Hp! That is the problem with too much beer.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Beretta you should have look at the different types of lithium ion batteries. The ones catching fire were not LiFePO4 batteries. LiFePo4 batteries are extremely safe. During normal operations, there is no danger of explosion or ignition, and no chemical leakage will occur. They can fail if external temperatures of over 200deg C are applied but what battery wouldn’t.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Normally I would agree but not in the case of the k bikes. Their battery is placed at the very top of the bike which means the effort to move from side to side is noticeably increased compared to a battery placed lower down. The performance increase in this case comes in the handling with a weight reduction of 7lb needed to be accelerated and decelerated from side to side when cornering. Not to mention the other benefits. 😬
Fuel slosh has far greater impact

·
Premium Member
K1300GT
43 Posts
Here in United States we have Brentuningmoto.com and they ship internationally. He is expensive but in my opinion it is worth every dollar. It made my K1300GT seem like a whole new motorcycle & I still get close to 40 miles per gallon. The crisp throttle response is very noticeable & the extra horsepower is very clear.

·
Super Moderator
1,481 Posts
Slosh with 25 lbs of gasoline.

·
Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
311 Posts

Plus these K bikes are heavy enough as it is (at least my GT is) any weight saving (bike AND rider) is a bonus in my view. Ditch the battery for a lithium SSB, and lose the cannon that is the exhaust (I note this is harder to do in Europe), and reduce beer consumption....

·
Registered
362 Posts
Looking at the posts maybe the heading should be ‘Old dogs new tricks’ Classic excuse about not be able to notice the difference with a lithium battery….BM walked away from the K years ago but the bike can be dragged into the modern day world or be it at a price, the battery is just one small part combine such with non TUV approved fuelling and some decent wheels…you’ll notice the difference alright.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts