BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Looking at the posts maybe the heading should be ‘Old dogs new tricks’ Classic excuse about not be able to notice the difference with a lithium battery….BM walked away from the K years ago but the bike can be dragged into the modern day world or be it at a price, the battery is just one small part combine such with non TUV approved fuelling and some decent wheels…you’ll notice the difference alright.
Damn, buying lighter wheels for a almost 260KG bike would be like 400th on the lists of things i'd ever consider doing to a K bike 🤷‍♀️

· Registered
63 Posts
There are some dirt common mods and oddities you can do:
Pay an arm and a leg for either an aftermarket ems or send that one out to have it tuned.
Not a fan of sending a Bosch ME unit to get tuned as there is a way to interface with it. I just haven’t spent the time to try to get into the system.
An aftermarket computer with traction control and abs will set you back 2500$ ish most likely as they are premium features on most racing ems systems.

Physically the bike can get the common suspects:
Light weight battery. (Cheap)
Magnesium or carbon wheels. (2600$)
Full titanium exhaust.(600-1200$)
Carbon fiber slip on. (125-400$)
Custom carbon monocoque tail/saddle saves maybe a kg. ( budget from 200$ dIY to thousands.)
ABS delete: saves a ton and room but you loose ABS. I forget but I think it’s over 5KG! Free.
There are other things but not many and they are all custom.
Best bang for your buck: a carbon fiber/ titanium slip on and a lithium battery. You can feel that easily on curves.

· Super Moderator
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,485 Posts
Well to bring this conversation back to reality, I suggest heading over to Figlmuller's and having some beer and Schnitzel. Probably one of the top 5 in Europe.
Bren tuning would be a serious place to start. I suspect there is an equal there in the EU.

· Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
240 Posts
I am stretching my memory (it gets shorter with time), but I seem to recall a solenoid on the throttle linkage that prevents full power in first and possibly second gear. Why not just remove that? Or leave it connected but not fastened to the mount if the position is sensed by the ECU?

· Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
314 Posts
When the odyssey in my GT dies I will be upgrading to Lithium for sure. It about 2yo now from memory. I put an SSB lithium in my '02 Suzuki GSX1400 and the difference re starting is amazing. Battery in those is under the seat behind the engine, so low down. Weight saving is around 2.8kg.

· Registered
636 Posts
Battery is static. And negligible. The cofg on the k1300 is low.
A heavier battery also raises the CoG
I know the battery is static😳. But is still has mass when you have to accelerate/decelerate it from side to side. It’s weight effectively increases once it’s moving and it changes direction

· Registered
137 Posts
Hi! I was wondering if any of you have modified their K1300R/S bikes for a little more performance, and if so, which things did you upgrade? I have looked at Power Commanders, Quickshifters, Air filters and I also found something called a "Booster Plug" (which I have never heard of before), and I was wondering if any of them are worth the cost. Note that I live in europe so exhaust modifications are not really on the table, unless they are legal of course, but from experience most of them aren't. I am also not really looking for things like turbos and superchargers, I'd like to keep the (excellent) reliability and resell value of my bike fairly close to stock.

My goal would be to get around 10-15 additional hp out of the bike without having to sell a kidney, thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Max......

Is that a Joke?

You truly want to hack a bike that produces 173 HP and over 100 Ft\lbs of torque? I don't get it? You must be bored or heavily influenced by Social Media or the Forums.

If you want additional problems to Plague your World, Please be our guest!

Ill presume you have not had the "Pleasure" of changing and bleeding your Brake Fluids yet...... Which should be your number one Performance Parameter!
Followed very closely (on this machine) by your suspension and Tires.

I wont begin to tell you the 10's of Thousands of hours of maintenance, K bike owners spend just to keep these machines running in good operating condition.

If you want a Rocket Ship that you can "Hack" and readily obtain parts: maybe you should think about a Kawasaki H2 Supercharged.
You can scream your head off, all day on that machine, and have the sorest back the second you dis-mount and stretch your spine. But man, You'll have Performance!

Power Commanders are trouble in any CAN Buss Motorcycle.
Quick Shifters are for people that want track performance
Air Filters will get you in trouble before you can finish saying: Oh Sh*t.
Booster Plugs attempt to change your A/F mixture, and mostly cause more problems then they solve.

You have tons of maintenance ahead of you, to keep this machine running properly...... The first time you bend a valve and destroy a cam\piston.....hopefully you'll remember this post.

Out of all the machines I have owned and currently do own: My K12S takes care of me, because I take care of it! It's my favorite bike to ride!

Ive been riding K bikes for over 15 years in 3 continents, I ride it almost everyday to work, the store, and to a place called Mae Hong Son......

That's 1864 turns and curves through the mountains of Northern Thailand and 620 Kilometers. Get a woman, throw the OEM bags on, and go live Life! Not waste it, hacking your bike!

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
104 Posts
When the odyssey in my GT dies I will be upgrading to Lithium for sure. It about 2yo now from memory. I put an SSB lithium in my '02 Suzuki GSX1400 and the difference re starting is amazing. Battery in those is under the seat behind the engine, so low down. Weight saving is around 2.8kg.
Oddysey battery cranking ability boggles the mind.
Had one and it was great till a cell shorted and killed it.
Huge swelling as well.

· Registered
636 Posts
The Antigravity battery in my k12r has 480CCA and the one in my HP2 Sport is physically smaller than the OEM but puts out 360CCA as opposed to the 230 CCA for the OEM. The HP2 starts virtually as soon as the button is pushed
Antigravity 3 lbs
Odessey. 15.4 lbs
I guess I am a LiFePO4 convert 😬 - But I digress.

· Registered
304 Posts
@Bradmiester you speak a lot of sense
(speaking as someone who has made a few changes to my K12GT, but nothing major engine-wise (except for an AF-Xied, and removing the throttle limiter))

The reason I'm replying is that I've just added a destination to my bucket-list
Mae Hong Son - that looks absolutely stunning !!! I have to go to South Korea for a wedding in 2024, looks like I might make a detour.

And here's what I've done to the bike, as you can see, nothing extravigant, or major engine-wise

If you wish to do any of these, the instructions are all buried in the forums.

· Registered
90 Posts
I'll just address one thing in your original post: Booster Plug.

I have a 2015 K1300s MS, bought new in late 2014. I had a few issues with it, particularly at low throttle openings. Sometimes I would give the bike gas off a stop and .... nothing. If I let the clutch out a bit too fast it would just stall. Other times the power would come on. Very unpredictable, and it had me scared to make left turns in traffic for fear it would stall in the turn.

Another typical performance sign - a flat spot at 5,000 rpm under acceleration.

This is where the Booster Plug made a difference. The less throttle, the more difference. It made my bike much more driveable, and it finally felt the way it should from the factory. I consider it indispensable.

But it did not lead to a horsepower increase, though I suspect it was a little bit faster by eliminating much (not quite all) of the lag at 5,000 rpm. The power commander type of product that remaps the fueling are the type of product you're probably interested in. (And remapping the fueling also deals with the low-throttle issues.)

· Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
106 Posts
Booster schmooster.

I tried a Booster Plug when trying to work on the transition to idle problem that plagued my K1200S. Going over the same roads, using fuel from the same stations, with the Booster Plug, then without the Booster Plug made no difference in performance or help the "clutch in bike dies" scenario. I still to this day find that poor quality fuel enhances the transition to idle problem while sticking with better fuel sources keeps the problem at bay. Search this forum you will find more write ups on this. Another issue is I do not think there is just one issue that effects all K bikes across the board. Still my 2006 K1200S is mostly stock with the exception of the later model airbox and the fuel strip conversion. As always your mileage may vary I can really only speak for my own K bike experience. Now at over 85,000 miles in a little over five riding seasons by the way.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts