BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Super Moderator
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,485 Posts
The take aways here for me are tires, good fuel (non ethanol preferred), lighter stronger battery, better shocks, and lighter silencer. A good quality slip on such as an Akrapovic might be the answer. I have Remus on mine. But this conversation has me thinking that I'm going to find a lithium battery and give it a try. I've got this list of changes on my high miles 2009 K13S and it is a keeper. I just ordered up a younger steering damper for it. As mentioned the maintenance list to keep the bike in good shape is extensive, some jobs are more than a weekend for me these days as I go slow. I would suggest the OP purchase a 31mm lift kit for the rear. There is a good vendor in Germany. See below for the Schwabenmax company. This is quite a change in the handling. I have one bike with Wilbers that are longer in the rear that stock and basically accomplishes the same thing ans the lift plates. The other K is stock. A big difference between them.
That throttle body control shaft stop for first and second gear...it limits (eliminates wide open throttle in those gears) by a little solenoid that is computer controlled. An easy "adjustment" for it is to insert a 1mm thick or so washers, under the unit where the to mounting bolts go. This lifts the unit the washer thickness from the frame it is mounted on and thus its reach to the rack finger that touches it. This is a sort of mechanical traction control. I would not fear an experienced rider doing this mod but go into it knowing what you are doing. Fuel tan, and air box need to come out to get to it. And it is very obvious when you get there.
Recaro engineering has done a good job making the K13 more powerful, dependable and drivable engine. Mods at this point would induce trade offs in my opinion. There is no one motorcycle that does everything.

http://www.schwabenmax.de/Navigation/Hauptnavigation BMW K1300S English.htm

· Registered
16 Posts
Beech, FWIW I've been happy with Shorai lithiums. Prior to the K1300s I had an Aprilia RST 1000. That bike is not easy to turn over. The Shorai never let me down. I bought the battery in 2011, and it's still doing fine.

· Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
314 Posts
The Antigravity battery in my k12r has 480CCA and the one in my HP2 Sport is physically smaller than the OEM but puts out 360CCA as opposed to the 230 CCA for the OEM. The HP2 starts virtually as soon as the button is pushed
Antigravity 3 lbs
Odessey. 15.4 lbs
I guess I am a LiFePO4 convert 😬 - But I digress.
Same here, I'm a fan of the SSB (Super Start Batteries) lithium units. Recent upgrade to my big bore suzuki means it starts almost instantly when I press the button. Runs, idles and behaves much better. The SSB I put in it delivers 280cca and weights just over 1 kg.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hi! I was wondering if any of you have modified their K1300R/S bikes for a little more performance, and if so, which things did you upgrade? I have looked at Power Commanders, Quickshifters, Air filters and I also found something called a "Booster Plug" (which I have never heard of before), and I was wondering if any of them are worth the cost. Note that I live in europe so exhaust modifications are not really on the table, unless they are legal of course, but from experience most of them aren't. I am also not really looking for things like turbos and superchargers, I'd like to keep the (excellent) reliability and resell value of my bike fairly close to stock.

My goal would be to get around 10-15 additional hp out of the bike without having to sell a kidney, thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Hi... Akrapovic titanium exhaust ??? 7kg weight loss.Think they are legal in a lot of places.
Yes power comander 5 is good. But put it on a dyno to tune. Lithium battery.
Carbon wheels... every kg lost is 1 hp gained. Kand N air filter. I have started this process on my K1300R. Just got the wheels to go..
184hp at the back wheel at the moment
Cheers Egor

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi! I was wondering if any of you have modified their K1300R/S bikes for a little more performance, and if so, which things did you upgrade? I have looked at Power Commanders, Quickshifters, Air filters and I also found something called a "Booster Plug" (which I have never heard of before), and I was wondering if any of them are worth the cost. Note that I live in europe so exhaust modifications are not really on the table, unless they are legal of course, but from experience most of them aren't. I am also not really looking for things like turbos and superchargers, I'd like to keep the (excellent) reliability and resell value of my bike fairly close to stock.

My goal would be to get around 10-15 additional hp out of the bike without having to sell a kidney, thanks in advance for any suggestions!
This may seem like a simplistic question, but have you removed your exhaust flow restictor? That in itself will unleash some horses, and make for a better sound.

· Registered
304 Posts
Wish that were possible on the GT....AFAIK no removable dB killer or restrictor in the bazooka that passes as an exhaust....
so swap the bazooka for a speedpro cobra or similar. Lose shedloads of weight, and release the symphony. And quite reasonably priced as well. Also Euro road legal.

Reactions: EricK1300GTSE

· Registered
56 Posts
For what its worth, I went with the titanium-CF Remus. Plug-and-play, kilo's lighter, cooler, and (subjectively) better performance; but sound a bit tinny (compared to the Staintune stainless on my older K1200). The stainless Delvekic would in my opinion be far better value and will probably sound better. Also, small hint: thin carbon fibre tends to get brittle and split over time; stainless lasts pretty much forever (and you can polish out the scratches).

41 - 51 of 51 Posts