BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.
I am researching putting a set of 1100x lights in the cowl on my 04 k12RS. Can I use the automotive set or does it have to be the powersport set with the special wiring harness? Also, has anyone fabricated their own mounting bracket? Anyone have a photo of the bracket?
Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
re: Piaa 1100 lights, harness and mounts

If you do a search there are some who when the route of fabricating their own mounting hardware, others used toggle switch for lights and others yet used autoswitch. Depends on what you want to do.

My preference was for the autoswitch with piaa's, happy with the setup, utilizes the turn cancel button to activate\deactivate the lights. I like it for it's convenience and designed as waterproof setup.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Sean and Laureen who run Cyclegadgets have a kit for the K1200RS

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/LightKits/detail.asp?bike=K1200RS&kit=PIA74125

They sell the PIAAs and mounting bracket as a kit, and they also just sell the brackets. When mine were installed, the mechanic put in an automotive relay instead of using the PIAA relay, because the PIAA relay didn't last that long. I also had mine set up through the "expensive" European style BMW switch instead of using the PIAA switch.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Piaa's .......

jtull01 said:
Quick question.
I am researching putting a set of 1100x lights in the cowl on my 04 k12RS. Can I use the automotive set or does it have to be the powersport set with the special wiring harness? Also, has anyone fabricated their own mounting bracket? Anyone have a photo of the bracket?
Thanks
Check your private mail. Plus, some of my previous posts. The "Powersports" model is no different then a regular. It only means the switch that comes with the kit is more waterproof. These kits are designed for automobile use, the wiring is all waterproof, although it may be longer and you would have to shorten leads. WOW. The "kits" that are sold have the mounting brackets (I made mine from scrap aluminum) and I used the "AutoSwitch" (from Cyclegadgets.com) . I am looking for blueprints on bracket's.
Will post. Had my bike out today for first time this season, lights are BRIGHT, and my new horns are LOUD. Woke up two cages today with them. 136 decibels.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Back Again..........

jtull01 said:
Quick question.
Thanks
Never fear.........RedHawK is here..........

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
The "Powersports" model is no different then a regular. It only means the switch that comes with the kit is more waterproof. These kits are designed for automobile use, the wiring is all waterproof, although it may be longer and you would have to shorten leads.

The PowerSports kits are in-fact different. The PowerSports Light foot/mounting base is different on the PIAA 1100PX light. The change in the light foot/mounting base places the mounting hole in a different location relative to the center axis of the light body. These kits were designed for the PowerSports market, Motorcycles & ATV's., thus the brackets found in the kits were designed for each bike to be compatable for the Powersports lights. The improvement of the waterproof switch and change in wiring configuration, as you noted is also different. If you doubt my information call PIAA in Beaverton, OR.

The main reason I posted this reponse, was to provide cautionary information relative to the change in the light foot/mounting base. This change means that PowerSports lights are only compatable with the PowerSports brackets found in their kits. Use of PowerSports lights on our orginal Ezy-Mount bracket kits cannot be recommended due to the change in the light foot/mounting base configuration.. The Original designs were developed for the automotive light kits. (Those that have the 2-piece plastic foot/mounting base)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts