BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the first of my planned "conspicuosness" upgrades done (a set of FIAMM horns that will make your ears bleed if triggered inside the garage.) The second one is almost done: a set of PIAA 1100 lights. I'm trying to figure out where to connect the third wire. The heavy white and black went to the pos and neg battery terminals, respectively. The third is a whit wire. When connected to a hot wire, the LED on the switch lights up.

The directions say to tie it to the high beam or low beam hot wire so the lights only go on when one or the other is on. I can hook it to the posative battery terminal, but then the LED and, therefore, the lights are always hot. The LED is not a concern, but anyone could walk by and turn my lights on with the push of a button, draining my bettery with this configuration. What have others done? Just find a switched hot wire, right to the battery or to high or low beam?

This is an '04 K1200RS.

Thanks,
Allan

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm working from memory here, which has been known to be a bit faulty at times. I believe I hooked mine to the parking lamp lead which runs out of the bottom of the headlight housing. This gives you the option of running with both high and low beams, but is still only hot with the ignition on.

I'm sure that if I'm wrong, someone will correct me here shortly.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
That white wire is to trigger the relay. You can splice it into the headlamp lead, and it'll provide power when the headlights are on, and they will be off when stating the bike. The headlights are connected through a load-shed relay, such that anything on that circuit will be off when starting the bike. Using the parking light lead to provide power will allow the PIAA's to be on regardless of the starter button, but will come on when the key is off and turned to the park position (so you'd have to turn them off, and someone could come by and turn them on again). I can't think of anything off the top of my head that comes on when the key is in the on position only, yet does not go through the load-shed relay, that's easy to get to.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Ray, I believe that THIS gadget, the Touratech Voltge Control Module, will do what you want. I've heard that those things are good for powering a GPS so that it doesn't reboot and reacquire the sats every time you start the bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yippee! My wife got me the PIAA 1100x lights for Christmas! Could someone tell me exactly where the white wire connects? I've read the previous posts (above), but being a GT newb just left me staring at my naked bike wondering just where exactly is the headlight lead and how to get at it. I really need a wiring diagram. Is there one around somewhere?

On another note, there doesn't seem to be a suitable place to mount the little on/off switch. There just doesn't seem to be a "perfect" place for it anywhere on the left handle unit. Anyone have a suitable solution? I'm thinking the Autoswitch option activated by the existing high beam switch is the best way to go.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
I connected my autoswitch to the signal cancel button....when you hold it in for 3 seconds it turns them on/off.....works great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok, I have the autowitch now. Assuming I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly for both the light kit and the autoswitch, it looks like I can hook up three of the wires (red, black and violet) from the autoswitch to the plug connector for the manual switch (that I will no longer be using).

I've removed the right handle bar control unit and looked at that. I definitely don't want to booger that thing up.

So...... where, exactly, is the wire (on the bike) that the autoswitch (orange) trigger wire is supposed to connect to? Left side, right side? What's it close to? What color is it (brown with white stripe)?

(PS on the original light kit install, which works fine, I attached the white wire to the hi beam fuse connector)

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Hook it up to the harness coming from the right bar....no need to diassemble anything....I believe it is the brown/white wire...I will confirm tonight after work and let you know....I'll also take a pic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You don't indicate what type of bike you're installing this on. On the K1200GT/RS, the brown/white wire is easily accessible on the right (throttle/brake side) under the tupperware and behind the radiator fan exit shroud. There's a junction box where wire harnesses plug together. I tapped the orange wire there, and mounted the autoswitch inside the box behind the connectors - mounting it to the back of the box. This makes for a very clean install.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Spinner said:
You don't indicate what type of bike you're installing this on. On the K1200GT/RS, the brown/white wire is easily accessible on the right (throttle/brake side) under the tupperware and behind the radiator fan exit shroud. There's a junction box where wire harnesses plug together. I tapped the orange wire there, and mounted the autoswitch inside the box behind the connectors - mounting it to the back of the box. This makes for a very clean install.
There you go realwrld....let us know if you need any more help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wheres that damn wire ?

realwrld said:
Thanks, Folks. I will have at it tonight.
I did my orange to the under tank wire loom (in the original German that means: nasty mess of wires crammed into < 6 sq in).

I had been sitting on the floor for about 30+ minutes or so eyeballing all the wires one by one. I was on my 4th or 5th time through all the wires and the spousal unit wanders by and says "hows it going". Says I, Not worth a crap. Cant find the brown wire with the white stripe. Ive been over this mess at least 4 times already.

She stares at it for about 15 seconds and says - "oh, you mean this one" and points/picks it out in the middle of one of the 30 wire tangles in the under-tank Bat cave.

Ah, yeah. thats it, thanks ............arrrrrgh

- ebill

·
Registered
130 Posts
...ebill, that's why they make beer and coffee - so you have to step away for a few minutes, which, upon returning, you miracuously find the wire.

At least it worked for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Exactly.

I got ALL the plastics off and the right radiator fan shroud and then just stared and stared and stared at that bundle of wires. By that time it was midnight, so I just went to bed. I don't think any amount of either coffee or beer (or both) would have had any effect at that point.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts