BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few pics of the modification I made to get the dual horns in under the nose. White circles are the openings for the horns, and the blue is the EZ-Mount brackets the Piaa's are mounted to.
There is a horn relay, and the green wire from the original horn was later spliced to both horns. No issues, but I haven't held the horn button down for more that 30 seconds. Piaa 1400 fogs, instead of the 1100 driving lights.
Second and fourth photo are just a different view.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are you saying there is already a horn relay for the stock horn and that you can power two Fiamm horns off of the stock wiring without causing any problems?

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
TWB said:
Are you saying there is already a horn relay for the stock horn and that you can power two Fiamm horns off of the stock wiring without causing any problems?
Yes, that is correct......also, there is no need to splice the power... you can piggyback from one horn to the other....mounted mine one behind the other on one extended bracket, horns pointing down.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
fiamm wiring

What I did was replace the original horn wire connectors while at the same time adding an extra wire/connector to the new connectors for the second horn i.e. there are 2 wires coming from each connector of the first horn, with one set (new) going to the second horn....recommend soldering and shrink tube on the connectors for worry-free results....I guess this is the same as splicing but this was a cleaner approach for me.

Attachments

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
The problem with overpowering is not the relay, but the wiring size which goes down the loom (under the plastic tank!) and particularly the common ground. You shouldn't have a problem with short bursts and you might ride so you never use the horns! Worst case is motor running, not short burst motor off. Of course, forget and fit a bike alarm which uses the horns and the fuse or loom might be dead pretty quick.

If you get any light dimming with the horns on, then the stock wires are too small or a common ground is shared by the lighting.

If a horn short circuits, just check you know your system fuse will blow before your loom and you should be ok.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
330 Posts
OK, excellent help........

milkman said:
Yes, that is correct......also, there is no need to splice the power... you can piggyback from one horn to the other....mounted mine one behind the other on one extended bracket, horns pointing down.
Thanks, one question though, the stock horn had a plug to it. I believe the wires were green and brown. I can assume the brown was the ground?. Also, the stock horn had a bracket that consisted of three (3) different blade type pieces of metal attached to it, that went from mounting screw to the horn larger bolt. I could also assume I could butterfly these, and attach one horn to one, and another to one. Sound like a plan??. I have copied Mr. Wizzard's pics, and the other hand drawn one from Mr. Milkman, and shall proceed on this excellent help. Thanks so much.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Yes, brown is the ground....solder/shrink tube terminal ends that match the male terminals on the horns...consider mounting them side by side with openings facing down on one long bracket made from aluminum stock...it's a tight fit and you have to bend it to clear the fork but it looks good....you can brace the whole assembly to the frame with a wire tie.....wiring is last.

·
Registered
290 Posts
milkman said:
Yes, brown is the ground
This is universal on a German vehicle, and something to remember. Brown is ALWAYS ground. Red is ALWAYS battery "+". Black is generally switched battery "+".

As for their numbering codes for wiring nodes, "31" is always a ground connection. "30" is always connected direct to battery "+"; "15" is also a battery "+" connection, but after a switch (such as the ignition switch). after that, things get a bit more complicated.

Bob.

·
Registered
290 Posts
voxmagna said:
On the wiring 'Nodes' point, my wiring diagrams show the nodes but does anybody know if there is documentation telling you where they actually are? The same could be true of the spare connectors they sprinkle about. It would be nice to know in advance which plastic to take off first.
Now wouldn't THAT be nice! Too bad no one at any bike or car company has thought of it.

Bob.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wiring Bastages

RFWILSON said:
Now wouldn't THAT be nice! Too bad no one at any bike or car company has thought of it.

Bob.
Oh, they've thought of it - but they strategically and intentionally bury these "nodes" inside the wiring loom, just so we can't find them. What would be the fun to the designer in making electrical maintenance easy for owners?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sleep....

Mac said:
Oh, they've thought of it - but they strategically and intentionally bury these "nodes" inside the wiring loom, just so we can't find them. What would be the fun to the designer in making electrical maintenance easy for owners?
Those pics (avatars?) should be illegal. I can't go to sleep now.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
The more I see of these hurdles the more I think I need my signal injector/ tracer and active Hall effect probe to find this stuff. I certainly should have used it on a burned out supply wire to my clock. But then adding a new wire was easier than taking off the tank.

The cloth tape they wrap around the loom up front on my '97 is starting to disintegrate, I mean like goes to powder if you play with it. I'm expecting the electrics to self destruct just before they think I need a new bike!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
290 Posts
voxmagna said:
The more I see of these hurdles the more I think I need my signal injector/ tracer and active Hall effect probe to find this stuff. I certainly should have used it on a burned out supply wire to my clock. But then adding a new wire was easier than taking off the tank.

The cloth tape they wrap around the loom up front on my '97 is starting to disintegrate, I mean like goes to powder if you play with it. I'm expecting the electrics to self destruct just before they think I need a new bike!
CLOTH TAPE??? Are they getting their wiring looms made by Lucas, Prince of Darkness, inventor of the DED (Darkness Emitting Diode)?? :D I thought the use of cloth tape stopped 50 years ago!

By the way, a (hall effect) DC current probe has to be a tool sent from God himself! Sure makes troubleshooting easier.

Bob.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I've got a small Hall dc clippon which is V.useful. Has peak hold, so great for starter load checks.

Well my bikes '97 and they use it right up to the front where it has disintegrated badly. We have to remember they get most looms designed and made in one big batch to last many model variants. Also there's the 'We've always made it like that before - so it must be ok' philosophy.

Yes, it's just like the tape my father and grandpa used in their house wiring! Not the smart modern pvc wrap or shrink I'd have expected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts