BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new baby today and could not be happier. Hardest thing was keeping it below 4000rpm (per break-in instructions). Love everything about the bike...except the seat. Kept sliding forward at stops. Other than that, I'm happy.

Bought a Zumo 550, and had the dealer install and mount it. Also got the Centech AP-1, for future add-ons. I have Sargent seats on their way, and a Cee Bailey windshield. I think I'll be pretty much set once all the items are on the bike. Also got the 49L topcase.

Traded in my HD Ultra Classic, and it feels great to be able to shed the extra weight.

And, the handling, wow, simply amazing. You just have to think where you want to go, and the bike takes you there.

Tomorrow, will continue break-in, going to try for 200 mile day.

Any hints/tips/cautions from you existing owners, farkles, etc., is always appreciated.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Welcome. Enjoy the new ride. Once you put on a few miles you'll never look back you your HD days.

Change the final drive oil at 600 miles, get it serviced, and take a road trip! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert_W said:
Welcome. Enjoy the new ride. Once you put on a few miles you'll never look back you your HD days.

Change the final drive oil at 600 miles, get it serviced, and take a road trip! :D
Thanks. I'll be sure to mention the final drive oil at the 600 mile service. I don't know if that's usually included, but I will have it done. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grifscoots said:
Hey, you found you way over here all by yourself!

Be sure to check out the Hall of Wisdom and let me know if you have anything to put in there.

You're gonna love this bike and wonder why you didn't get rid of the LT sooner. I know I do.
Thanks, you folks only took one or two clicks to fine.

Question - On the way home from the dealer, I rode on all back country rodes shifting through all the gears until my left hand was sore. Gave it a brief rest, then started again. I plan on doing the same today. Accelerating, then de-acclerating, putting a load on the engine, etc.

I don't baby the bike during break-in, and am basically following these guidelines - Break In New Bike

I'd love to hear what how others have ridden during the first 600 miles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
stefeb said:
Thanks. I'll be sure to mention the final drive oil at the 600 mile service. I don't know if that's usually included, but I will have it done. Thanks for the tip.
I believe that there was a service bulletin issued to the dealers to have it done at the 600 mile. Even if they don't know about it most agree now that at a minimum it goes along way toward no final drive issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
stefeb said:
Hardest thing was keeping it below 4000rpm (per break-in instructions).
Humm, interesting. My dealer (San Jose BMW, SF Bay Area) said that there is no break-in period on a K-bike. He said every engine come pre-run on a dyno and you should just ride. Any comments?

·
Registered
36 Posts
cbdane said:
Humm, interesting. My dealer (San Jose BMW, SF Bay Area) said that there is no break-in period on a K-bike. He said every engine come pre-run on a dyno and you should just ride. Any comments?
The manual on my '08 says keep it under 7,000 rpm until the first scheduled service. That's about 100 mph in 6th. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Robert_W said:
I believe that there was a service bulletin issued to the dealers to have it done at the 600 mile. Even if they don't know about it most agree now that at a minimum it goes along way toward no final drive issues.
You are correct. The FD oil is included in the 600 mile service at no extra cost.

I suggest changing the FD oil everytime you get tires or 6000 miles, as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
4000 rpm ?

Just picked up my '08, built 1st week of Jan 08. My manual also says to keep below 7000 rpm during the first 600 miles. They musta changed something.

No mention of this 4,000 rpm stuff.

·
Registered
159 Posts
rgmanley said:
Just picked up my '08, built 1st week of Jan 08. My manual also says to keep below 7000 rpm during the first 600 miles. They musta changed something.

Congrats on the new bike!! When did you order your '08? I ordered my bike 12/12/07. Still waiting. Dealer says the factory is backed up getting out the GS 800. But my bike will be here any day. Blah blah blah
Thanks for the feedback,
Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
GT Order

Actually, ordered back in early Nov, but order got messed up. Although it was identified as SOLD, it went into some black hole and never got scheduled to be built. Called dealer mid Dec to inquire and that's when we found out the problem. BMWNA assigned one they had that was not allocated and the process started moving again. Build week was scheduled as 01, actual was Jan 15 and it was ready at dealers in early March. I just couldn't get away to pick it up.
Sure is nice, all the electronic gizmos, smooth, powerful etc.

Replaced my venerable '05 RT.

·
Registered
42 Posts
rgmanley said:

I am picking my 08 next week, depending on weather. Will post picks as soon as I get it. Now we need some picks for your 08. :dunno: Love to see them.
Anyone knows if they dino the bikes before delivery?? :confused: Are they brak-in them in before delivery?

cbdane Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
Hardest thing was keeping it below 4000rpm (per break-in instructions).

Humm, interesting. My dealer (San Jose BMW, SF Bay Area) said that there is no break-in period on a K-bike. He said every engine come pre-run on a dyno and you should just ride. Any comments? :confused2

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello Stefeb,

Now aren't you glad I blew by you last summer something like 125, was that you on the red Ultra?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
grifscoots said:
I'm not gonna get into breaking in bike procedures- too much like an oil thread!

But, I will tell you that your body will sore till you get used to the GT. Much more physical bike than the LT ever was.
Understood on both points. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BCC said:
The manual on my '08 says keep it under 7,000 rpm until the first scheduled service. That's about 100 mph in 6th. :D
Thanks. I went back to the manual, and yep, that's what it says.

Oh happy day!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rgmanley said:

The 4K instructions were from my dealer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts