IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Awesome.

Thanks, Michael. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know... just not feeling "the luv" for the new style. :(
I'll keep my K1300, it's got much better looks IMO.

If it came down to the K1600 or the new Street Glide I'd have to go with the Glide.

-

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
K13GT said:

If it came down to the K1600 or the new Street Glide I'd have to go with the Glide.

-

Ditto.

The new GT is a bit odd looking. The side cases also appear to have a downward fin on them in a recessed are from the lower black part. Look to be a bit bigger too. Tiller bars of the LT are back. That 6 hole exhaust needs to go too or blacked out. Hopefully, it will be better looking in person.

Dunno about the extra weight though. Full 2008 GT weigh in at 678 with fuel. This is 768 without fuel, more than 800 with? Gaining an extra 130 pounds over the old GT isn't fun, but still beats the newer airbagged Gold Wing by maybe 100 pounds.

I'll wait for the Cycle Gear shows in Long Beach and New York to see a new K600GTL up close.

Okay, that's a nice Street Glide. Had to look it up, but that H-D 110 inch is a 1800cc engine. No wonder they are so torquey. Still, they are a heavy bike but I've seen the guys upright them without much damage or struggle since they have those crash bars to rest on. BMW's don't fair so well when they fall over, imo.

Mack

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Just left A&S this afternoon. Said it would be at least 2nd or 3rd quarter next year before they even see one. No word on price. No dealer info. Nada. So we're potentially looking at 1 year before these things get into the public hands. WTF? Seems like a very long "pre-game".

First thing that caught my attention was that good old Hans still hasn't figured out that an 800lb bike needs a kick stand that has a contact area with the ground bigger than a nanometer!

Jeez.....if they haven't figured that out yet..... :dunno:

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
asquires said:
Well the XXX KG question is how much does it weigh?
From BMW's official documentation:

Unladen weight, incl. 90% fuel:

K 1600 GT 319 kg (703 lbs)
without panniers

K 1600 GTL 348 kg (767 lbs)
including panniers and topcase

K 1300 GT 288 kg (635 lbs)
including panniers but not topcase
(full of fuel)
For comparison:

Yamaha FJR 641 lbs

Kawasaki C14 670 lbs (679 lbs - ABS model)

Honda ST1300 719 lbs

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
K13GT said:
When the K12GT first came out, it was as slab-sided. Now they're sleek and fast. When the R12RT came out, the "floating" body panels were ridiculed. Now they're just normal. The same thing will happen with this bike . . .

K13GT said:
Nice bike to look at, sure, but I wouldn't want to ride one across an entire state, or over a twisty mountain . . .

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Meese said:
Nice bike to look at, sure, but I wouldn't want to ride one across an entire state, or over a twisty mountain . . .
Ditto...

·
Registered
178 Posts
...i 'gotta feelin that the 'allegations' of 'anticipated' weight are 'gonna' require a power center stand a'la LT of years past......
this baby is gonna be a heifer....
...that said however, it sure looks like it will be a a 2 up slab flier!!

kbikeinbc
07 kgt crystal grey met

·
Registered
55 Posts
K13GT said:

-

Funny that you should post this. I just sold my '09K1300Gt and am getting the exact bike you pictured, delivered next week.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Course your only view of a GT would be the back side as it sped away.....

K13GT said:

-

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
This electrical bit is interesting.

Alternator Output

K1300GT = 945w
K1600GT = 580w (no, not a typo!)

What's up with that? Less wattage to run goodies? More HP delivered by taking off ~40% of the alternator current.

Yes, HID lights and LED's might help, but they added stuff like the Angel Lights, HID steering mirror and motor, updated sound system = more amps, etc.

Plug in a Gerbing's full suit and "I smell smoke?" His and Hers may indeed be "I really smell smoke?" Sounds like more Can-Bus limited power sockets no doubt which should have been banished on the last models and/or designed for full heated gear. :mad:

Something I spotted about the GPS (Garmin) maybe being removable from the dash was nice though - if that's true.

Thing is supposedly in Jay Leno's Garage now for some demo video.

Mack

1 - 20 of 28 Posts