BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn! The Flash didn't work! Oh well, first pics from Long Beach. I'm sure there will be some better quality photos available from others tomorrow.

Only one GT there. White is not a color a motorcycle should be. However, this color actually looks much better in person than via photos (at least indoors). I'd like to see it in sunlight. No price listed. A few more photos coming in another posting.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few more pics from Long Beach

Glove box on right side of fairing opens with a push of the keyed button (when unlocked). There is no box on left side of fairing. Per BMW rep, there are "electronics" beneath/behind the left side panel and no room for radio. The left panel is one piece. In previous post, it can be seen that the handle bars can be manually (with tool) raised or lowered about 1.5-2 inches in height. The tail rack is substantial and reportedly easy to mount BMW top case.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fugly!

raffyk said:
Yuk! What a design failure.
Raffy, thats probably the most accurate and concise assessment of the new GT design that I've seen so far.

I've been holding off final judgement for a while, ever since the new generation GT pics started coming out. But, these pics with no bags seal the deal. That thing is simply horrific. I will never buy the new GT. As bad as the panel van effect up front is, the section where the bags mount is just ridiculously ugly... fugly even!! Calling it a "design failure" is being generous.

On a positive note, the value of the last generation GTs has obviously just gone back up. Since the new GT will flop in sales, demand for the beautiful last generation is going to be much better. Either way, I'll hang on to my 04 for a long while, it's a work of art compared the new beastie.

It really took some serious effort to destroy the styling of the lovely new K1200S. Someone on the BMW Motorrad design team needs to be fired, and soon!

Anyway, to remove all possibility of a new bike for a while, today I just got rid of my old 88 M5 and got a new (to me) 2003.5 M3. 333HP is a good thing! And with that, I'm off to spend the afternoon with the M3 and the Autobahn!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Not only are the big bag hangers ugly, but they managed to make the rear mud flap even larger. They should have put the fugly S bike rolling stones red tongue tail light on it too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I agree with Raffy. Just look at the side shot of that fairing. What were they thinking? My old K100RT looked better. I can only assume this was a "rush job".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi All,

They must be thinking that no one will EVER ride the thing with out the bags. It is after all touring bike. I'll be hanging on to my RS for a couple more years before buying an K1200s (hopefully electronic cruise will be availible then)

And does anyone besides me think the tach and speedo came from like a late fifties ford or chevy ???

Regards,
George

·
Registered
273 Posts
R1200ST - in year 2007 ?

Faust said:
I agree with every one of you. This bike is ugly.
When I get tired of my 04' K12GT in a couple of years I will probably go for a R1200ST. In that time they have hopefully re-designed the ugly front.

Because that's a nice bike with the perfect combination of sport and touring. It's faster than our "old" K12GT's !! (because of the lower weight)

But maybe in 2007 new K-models will have arrived. But as it is now I will not change my K12GT with any of the current new K-models.

/Michael

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks, the pics showed what we wanted. I was wondering about the adjustments on the bars.
I still think the side panals are ugly but just from the rondel down.

·
Registered
879 Posts
was GT @ Long Beach..now Retired Pilot n Ormond Bch

Hey Ivy..you related to the owners of Daytona BMW..who's also a retired pilot..?

Regards,
(a former DAB resident)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Jaded?

Hmmm... You know.. I'm usually the first to complain about the new BMW styling.. or lack thereof... I've ranted incessantly about the S angular styling (although I've grown to like it) and especially the tail light.. and... I have NOT mentioned in public that the man that designed the front end of the new ST should be shot.. then tortured...then dragged through the streets of Berlin.. but... I actually like the looks of the new GT. I would never buy one only because I don't tour, but I think it's one of the best looking "touring" bikes I've seen.

Unlike the early version GT which is nothing more than a RS with stick-ons.. it looks to me like BMW actually gave you GT guys what you've been asking for... more luggage/storage capacity... handlebars that are easily adjustable.. dash glove compartments, electric everything.. a low exhaust pipe.. more power.. lighter weight...fairing mounted mirrors..brighter headlight.. better gas milage... larger gas tank.. ...etc.. etc.. The list goes on. Doesn't it have just about everything the old GT does not? except sexy flowing lines? Geezz.

Is the new GT beautiful ? I don't think so but I haven't seen it in person...but it sure is distinct and attractive at first glance. Should BMW hire at least one Italian to their design team? Hell yes... but I doubt that'll ever happen.
My opinion is as worthless as everyone elses here but I like what I see.

and BTW.. that rear mudflap is adjustable!! Guess they stole Fast Eddie's (non-patented) idea.

My unholy 2 cents...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I still have to see it in person to make a decision on looks. But put the bars up, bags on, set the cruise control and ride across the country in comfort, then lower the bars, take off the bags and smoke almost any other bike out there. That's the kind of bike I'm looking for!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree, the '04 GT's looks so much nicer. If I was in the market to move up to a newer GT, it's not going to happen. Thanks for posting those 'ugly' pictures.:D

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
New GT sans bags

All I can say is wow, I really like my 04 GT styling and will not be tempted by the horsepower of the new one. The bike sans bags, gruesome, the bars while adjustable look horrible also. Guess you touring types got what you wanted at the price of aesthetics. If I wanted touring only and looks last I'd buy two Concours and bank a little money left over for gas. I'd bet the performance is a compromise also. man that just sucks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ca03K12gt said:
Damn! The Flash didn't work! Oh well, first pics from Long Beach. I'm sure there will be some better quality photos available from others tomorrow.

Only one GT there. White is not a color a motorcycle should be. However, this color actually looks much better in person than via photos (at least indoors). I'd like to see it in sunlight. No price listed. A few more photos coming in another posting.
Thanks so much for responding to the new GT forum requests for these pictures; especially with the bags removed.

The pictures here are so much more detailed and revealing than those we got from the recent Milan show. (the models at Milan were nice and "revealing as well <g>) It was also "nice" to see the BMW Reps actually had the key to remove the saddlebags and and clearly were willing to agree to do that. These bags and the mounting system are identical to those on my wife's R12ST. The design in the way they operate is pure genious. I'm always taking them off and putting them on when cleaning the bike and it's very easy with those two "prongs" and the release "mode" to perform that task; and, you can just leave them "unlocked" and use them w/o the ignition key while riding. My wife has taken to just leaving them on the bike - that way they are always available to toss in a helmet or whatever when stopped and the extra 20 lbs go unnoticed.

Your pictures are really very good and show the bike in the various ways to answer questions previously raised here on this forum. It's interesting that the adjustable bars go up and back and down and forward rather than just in and out. Guess BMW just got tired of trying to figure out what riding position each potential customer wanted and gave them a clear choice between sporty and upright.

Did you happen to ask when the bike will go on sale in the U.S.? I also wonder when the press intro will take place so we can get some feel for how the bike performs from those that attend these types of events.

How would I order this bike? Have to tell you, it would be in the grey with the lighter panel color beneth the tank, and definitely with the xenon headlight - man that combination would make a stealth fighter like presence on the road; especially in the way BMW went with the seperate mirror stalks instead of the LT like fairing mounted mirrors to give the front of the bike the same knife like, narrow expression as the K-S. It looks like you can have a touring rig, but with a very agressive, purposeful appearance at the same time - very hard to pull off, but sucessful here, imo.

And once again, you can only visualize these conclusions with the pictures you gave us this morning.

Miles

·
Registered
531 Posts
in my opinion the new GT looks absolutely horrible without the bags...plain and simple. it looks like bmw didn't put much thought or consideration into what the bike looked like without the bags. if i were to design a bike it would look good with and without bags. i had considered buying the GT because it has cruise control which the "S" does not but now that i've seen the GT bagless i'll be going with the "S" for sure. i think with the bags the styling looks OK and just as good or better than any of the competition. if it were my decision i would have kept the RS styling and engineered the new engine and hossack front end to the RS. the RS styling with the "S" perfomance would have been a real winner.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Thanks for the great PIX. And, I think the color is stunning!

Without reading all of the others . . . WAFBB! Gorgeous lines, looks like it's going to be a clear-cut winner!!! Was out riding (hefting) the LT in traffic today longing for the GT. Called the owner of BMW Daytona and told him that cousin Guido would be visiting him with a dead fish unless I get one first!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts