BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
ratemut said:
looks nice ?
Michael,

Say, I've looked at this pic. twice now in the last couple of days. Is this bike only available in Europe for police departments?

Only reason for asking, is that it seems to transform the RT into what looks like a very well executed custom paint scheme. Somehow the lines, especially the stripe on the side fairing, make the bike look very sexy and fast!

If I were in the market for the RT, I'd sure look into seeing if that paint job could be special ordered. But, then I loved the yellow/check '98 K12RS for six great years.

You know, there was another police bike in Denmark, I believe, that BMW actuallly turned into the current GT using the fairing extensions, both the upper and lower ones and the higher windscreen. Maybe we'll see the same happen with the 12RT; at least as far as the paint job goes.

Also, the upcoming new GT has been criticized for its uninteresting side fairings. Here's an example of what can be done to add interest to the style of a motorcycle and I wouldn't be surprised if custom graphics make an individual statement on this tourer as well.

Miles

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Razel said:
Due to a criminal act on my part...(didn't bring a camera each time), I saw (but alas, no pictures) the K1200RT-P at the Motorcycle show in San Jose. Didn't really pat too much attention to it, other than the discussion about the side cases not being removable under normal condtions (they can be removed for service). But, it was out there for all to see...
Ray,

Meant to comment on those side cases (and the engine guard as well); they seem to add to the overall change in styling on the bike vs. the standard RT and manages to add, as does the paint scheme, to the sleeker look of the bike - but, yeah, not being removable might be annoying - probably something law enforcement folks prefer.

So, it's the same police bike available here as well as Europe. That might bring it closer to being available as civilian version for those that might be interested - sans the rotating blue light <g>.

Miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts