BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Which tires for the S for everyday road use?

• Sportec M1

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Metzler Z6

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Michelin Pilot Sport

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Michelin Pilot Road

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Bridgestone BT-014 or BT-020

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Michelin Pilot Power

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we talk about tires all the time on these forums but fresh opinions are always welcome! With the KS only having been out around a year or so, I expect there would be fresh opinions on tires (among other things) all the time.

With that said, I'd really like to hear more opinions on the Pilot Power and the Z6. Those are the two tires I'm considering as replacements to my BT-014's. I've been on BT-014 for 1500 miles and so far I'm very happy with them. I figure the rear will be shot around the 4k or less mark. The center for sure. The slab here in SoCal has rain grooves which help flat-spot the center quickly. Unfortunately, the slab is a necessary means to where you really want to go.

The KS/KR riders I know are using and are very pleased with the Pilot Power. So much so that I will probably go with Pilot Power when I re-skin my KS. Average milage on the rear Pilot Power seems to be in the 3-4K range like the BT-014. The KRS and R bike riders I know seem to like the Z6.

Pilot Power is probably the best tire for me here in San Diego but it seems your lucky to get more than 3000 miles out of a rear.
I would prefer to get closer to 5000 miles out of the rear. I know that means a harder compound which comes at a price in terms of grip but if you're only getting 5 to 6K miles out of a tire it's probably a relatively soft tire with good grip and few compromises anyway.

I'm thinking the Z6 is designed to be a Sport Touring Tire and that most of the top of the line tires made today (assuming they're in good shape with proper pressures maintained) are beyond the capability of the average rider and most of us (well me at least) don't use near 100% of the grip that todays good tires are capable of on the road anyway. So why pay for what you don't take advantage of?

The Z6 may give the best compromise between wet and dry grip and longevity. Even though the Z6 may have a little less grip than the Pilot Power, I suspect I wouldn't notice it for use on the road even on a spirited ride, leaned over and controlled powering out of the turns. The track is a different story and I'm sure the Pilot Power would prevail in that enviroment.

So, what do you think? Is the Z6 the tire for everyday use on the KS or is the Grip of the Pilot Power worth replacing it more often and the extra money? Hummmm?

·
Registered
896 Posts
My Pilot Powers are almost shot.. I'm going to try out Pilot Roads. Loved the Roads on my KRS, and I've never been a Metzeler fan.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a couple more rides left in my second Sportec M1 rear, 1st front, and then will switch to a set of Z6's to give them a try.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've had several out of round tires in the past. And I don't much care for the rear of the Z6. I hear too many people complain about thinking the tire is good then..bang tires shot. Just me, I'm sure the Z6 is a fine tire, but since I have a choice I'll stick with Michelin.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've had both on my R1100S, and I think the PP is the way to go. Not only do the PPs perform as well/better than anything I've had, they actually last a lot longer than other sport tires (D208s, Diablos, M1s) I've used. And they keep a better profile on the front, too. Utimate grip notwithstanding, I like the feel better on the sport tires. The miles on my PPs may have been a little easier than the ones I put on the Z6s, but for me they lasted just as long.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've worn thru D208's, M1's and am now riding on Z6's and the difference in handling is minimal with the latter installed. I definitely noticed, right away, that the Z6's were a TAD stiffer, less sticky, but again, it was almost negligable and if I can squeeze significantly more wear out of them I'll be happy with the trade. They're worth trying out...that said, I'll probably go back to the D208's next time around.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I found that the handling characteristics of the Z6 and Pilot ROADS were about the same when new, on a K/RS. However, the Z6 went off in a hurry and I couldn't tell how much tire was remaining. When worn some, the rear felt like I had a flat or loose bearings...really weird and terrible handling in a cross wind. So I dumped them probably earlier than I really needed to...never to try them again! Had great luck with the ROADS and still use them on my 1150RT. I get about 4K around here with little slab and riding on the aggressive side mostly 2-up. Love the Pilot POWER on the S and getting a bit better wear than the M1 but I'm guessing 3K at max as compared to 2-2.5K on the M1. The Power has a noticably softer feel than the Roads...but both still give good feedback.

·
Registered
395 Posts
well after wearing out 2 rear M-1 in 3500 miles (front still has a little life in it) I have ordered a rear Z6 and a front M1 ran this combo on my K12RS and it worked well. The front ought to last thru the rear and can replace as a set this way, plus I dont mind the rear sliding around a little but would prefer the front to be planted.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Replaced the Sportec M1 rear with a Roadtec Z6 when the tread got too low to see me through a tour of Europe. Bike handled well with M1 front and Z6 rear. Now front needs replaced so am opting for the Roadtec to match the rear.

Observations:
Basically no difference in grip (wet or dry) with M1 & Z6 on the rear for road use
Significantly better wear rate with the Z6 (probably three times the life)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
sportrider said:
Guys,
I've added a poll to the thread just to see what everyone's running...
Sportrider,
I like the poll, thanks. Hope we get many responses.

A couple of things:
Maybe it would be best to specify in the title how the tires are used so we can rule out folks voting with the track only in mind.
i.e. "Which tires for the K1200S / R do you prefer for everyday road use?"

Second, in the poll you call out "Pilot Sport." Did you mean "Pilot Power?"

Lastly, maybe you could add Pilot Road and BT-014 and BT-020 to the list?
I'll save my vote until after we clear up the Pilot Sport or Pilot Power question.
Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sportrider said:
o.k. Mark - I revised the poll. I had to combine the Bridgestones because I ran out of voting options.
If anyones wants some other polls, just let me know.
Thanks,
John
Thanks again John. Appreciate your effort. I'm sorry but again I have to ask, You list Pilot Sport but not Pilot Power. Is this your intention? I only mention it because it seems to me that Pilot Power is a very popular road tire for the KS/R and I have never seen a KS shod with Pilot Sport tires.
Just wondering?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mark,

Based on my limited knowledge of them, I thought they were called Pilot Power Sport and Pilot Power Road, so I just abbreviated the as Pilot Sport and Pilot Road.

Bloody hell ! My first poll and I've screwed it up!

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Powers vs Z6

mark5lam said:
I'm thinking the Z6 is designed to be a Sport Touring Tire and that most of the top of the line tires made today (assuming they're in good shape with proper pressures maintained) are beyond the capability of the average rider and most of us (well me at least) don't use near 100% of the grip that todays good tires are capable of on the road anyway. So why pay for what you don't take advantage of?
IMO it's not a matter of taking advantage of the better grip, it's having it when you NEED it.
I've had great results with the Powers....11,000 on my first set....7,500 so far on my second...mostly commuting (slab).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sportrider said:
Mark,
Based on my limited knowledge of them, I thought they were called Pilot Power Sport and Pilot Power Road, so I just abbreviated the as Pilot Sport and Pilot Road.
Bloody hell ! My first poll and I've screwed it up!
Ahhhh,.. don't sweat it. I fine effort on your part.
FYI Michelin has a series of tires under the name "Pilot" and they're all different tires.
i.e. Pilot Road, Pilot Power, Pilot Sport, Pilot Race.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts