BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning for 2010 trip for wife and me is progressing. I'm trying to lock in a bike from Motogreek in Munich. I had exchanged several emails working out the details but now can't get a hold of them (email or phone). I'll give it till the first of the year...then I'll switch to another rental company if I have to. My second choice will be rental in Thun.

Our travel dates are depart Dulles 30 June, 1st July sleep day, 2nd July pick up bike and let the fun begin. I've booked the last three nights at Edelweiss Resort (11-13 July). Our route will take us clockwise through the Alps. I'm looking for 2 other locations to base day rides around. One will probably be in the Dolomites (near if not in Bolzano). I'll be going as far south as the French Rivera and then cutting back east/north.

Would still like to hear from others first hand knowledge of Penions and/or B&B experiences, along with ride routes.

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Have you tried contacting Edelweiss about renting? I seem to remember they rent bikes sans the tour.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me, I've contacted all the rental companies I can find. Fortunately, I heard from Motogreek yesterday and the bike is reserved. Now for the rest of the planning...

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Glad to hear you got yourself a ride. The Alps are pretty amazing. I have to say the Alps are the best riding I have ever done. Certainly some of the most technical when dealing with the switchbacks. Take lots of pictures.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
My wife and I spent 3 weeks running around the Alps a few years back. We didn't use a tour operator and never had any trouble finding decent accommodations and great food. The GPS did help there though. :)

Be sure to pick up a copy of Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps by John Hermann. It is a fabulous resource for motorcyclists, and you can really build up the excitement level by doing some pre-planning in the evenings before your trip.

And take lots of pics so you can share on your return. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ken, thanks for the advice. There will be another couple joining us on our journey this year. I got a copy of John Hermann's book a few weeks ago and have been spending a lot of time with it. I'ver ID'd two hotels that come highly recommended, Simonhof and Olympia Hotel.
You have to read Hermann's book with a bit of "tongue in cheek", e.g. he states all the hotels are reasonably priced, like Evaldo in Andermatt. $250-300 a night for a couple to decent accomadations is a bit too much for my me. Reasonable must be a relative term...

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
GunnerT said:
Ken, thanks for the advice. There will be another couple joining us on our journey this year. I got a copy of John Hermann's book a few weeks ago and have been spending a lot of time with it. I'ver ID'd two hotels that come highly recommended, Simonhof and Olympia Hotel.
You have to read Hermann's book with a bit of "tongue in cheek", e.g. he states all the hotels are reasonably priced, like Evaldo in Andermatt. $250-300 a night for a couple to decent accomadations is a bit too much for my me. Reasonable must be a relative term...
we stayed in that hotel http://www.hotel-bergidyll.ch/ in Andermatt in September'09 - it has a lockable garage for the bikes at the backside. And the price was much less than 250 USD or SFR.
You may want to check that forum as well www.alpineroads.com.
General advise is - try to escape the highways and have fun!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Easyman, I'm getting a lot of my planning advice from that website. Don't get me wrong, if I have to pay that much to make mama happy then I will...

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
here is one more source of info - see the report, they published it on day-by-day basis
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=334

for me the main thing in the Alps is riding and scenery. Accomodation is secondary - they all are more or less the same. Just price differs - why pay more for one or two nights?

·
Registered
138 Posts
GunnerT said:
We stayed at the Evaldo in early June 2009. Price was Euro 70 a room. Suggest you check direct.

Check out our website (see my signature) for a lot more information on riding around the Alps and Dolomites.

·
Registered
30 Posts
GunnerT said:
Planning for 2010 trip for wife and me is progressing. I'm trying to lock in a bike from Motogreek in Munich. I had exchanged several emails working out the details but now can't get a hold of them (email or phone). I'll give it till the first of the year...then I'll switch to another rental company if I have to. My second choice will be rental in Thun.
The BMW dealer in Thun is very good. Down point : it's quite far from the closest international airport (Zürich or Geneva) by approx 70 mi.

Geneva has a BMW dealer 5 minutes from the airport called Chuard Motos (http://www.chuard-motos.ch/)

hope that helps

cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
GunnerT said:
You can find decent hotels for half that price in Andermatt :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Evaldo is in Arrabba in the Dolomites, not Andermatt. I stayed there last summer it was 70 euros a night with breakfast and for 15 more euros a night u could get a great dinner with an appetizer bar and dessert bar!

·
Registered
138 Posts
GunnerT said:
zzrman, was that 70 E per person? or for two per room?
As I recall that's the room rate. However, the answer is to contact them direct and by phone. There is someone there with sufficient English to have a sensible conversation. I should add that the MD at the BMW Motorrad Dealership I work at, has returned from a week at the Evaldo and loved it. he would cheerfully go back again, and so would I.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
zzrman, I will be traveling with my wife and another couple. Us guys are avid motorcyclists and would like nothing better than just running the roads....but....the wifes are a different story... Is there much to do other than ride in Arabba? Stores/restaurants, etc district? I'm convinced that if I stay in Arabba it will be the Evaldo. To make sure "mamas happy" the other town in this area I'm thinking about staying in is Corvara. . Have you guys ever stayed in Corvara?

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
There is not much to do for the non-riding better halves both in Arabba and Corvara. But personally I liked Corvara - it's brighter and more viivid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
GunnerT said:
zzrman, I will be traveling with my wife and another couple. Us guys are avid motorcyclists and would like nothing better than just running the roads....but....the wifes are a different story... Is there much to do other than ride in Arabba? Stores/restaurants, etc district? I'm convinced that if I stay in Arabba it will be the Evaldo. To make sure "mamas happy" the other town in this area I'm thinking about staying in is Corvara. . Have you guys ever stayed in Corvara?
If you want to swmbo happy, you need to stay in Cortina. More expensive though, and take your creditcards with you on the bike.

Both Arabba and Cortina are small places with not a whole lot to do without transportation other than to enjoy the views, clean air and hiking. Evaldo does have a swimming pool, hot tub, massage room and other facilities to relax. Highly recommended.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts