BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my girl and I have matching K75S's and are planning a long trip starting in late May.

Home station is Minneapolis. We'll be making our 1st leg of the trip by leaving

Minneapolis and heading in a southwesterly direction via Colorado to southern California.

Then making the 2nd leg by going essentially straight north through California to

Washington. And finally, heading east back to Minnesota. This will be our very first super

long trip. We've read a lot about trips such as this but any opinions good or bad would be

hugely appreciated. I am pretty new to this forum and as a result nobody here really

knows me. But we would like to make some acquaintances here that might be along our

desired route for possible socializing, a ride together or repair / parts help if needed. I'm

very capable of repairing things myself if needed but it's always nice to have connections

along the way.

Oh, one question to start out... What's the best high-mileage, yet reasonably good

handling tires for the K75's?

Thanks!!!

Matt & Stephanie

·
Registered
140 Posts
[QUOTEOh, one question to start out... What's the best high-mileage, yet reasonably good

handling tires for the K75's?

Thanks!!!

Matt & Stephanie[/QUOTE]
Metzler 880/88 is what I use. I get 10-12,000 miles on rear and 18-20,000 front.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. I hope you are giving yourselves a few weeks to do all this. It is a very ambitious itinerary.

I'm K75 owner in Minneapolis as well. (South Mpls).

·
Registered
305 Posts
+1 on the Metzlers. Worn out several sets of them on my S. But my next set I'll probably go with Bridgestone Spitfires. Heard lots of good about them and they're priced well under the Metzlers. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My rear Metz Marathon has 12+ thousand miles on it, looks good for a few more. But I want to change it because I'm looking at a fairly long trip this year myself. Here's my dilemma: I would like to replace that rear with a Bridgestone Spitfire (I ran a set of these on my previous bike, an R65), but I'm leery of mixing and matching brands (The BMW OM warns ominously against doing so.) My front tire is a Metzeler Lasertec with 5 thousand miles, nothing wrong it. Am I being too cautious in not wanting to mix brands...or is BMW giving me good advice?
Steve
1990 K75RT

·
Registered
350 Posts
Some long distance touring thoughts

Camping? (If you are... KOA is a pretty good solution w showers and the chance to recharge your stuff)

Communication - definately get a bike to bike comm system. I like the SENA system - also permits listening to your ipods, radio and to make and recieve phone calls.

Clothing - pack light and stop at laundromats every few days.

Hydration - use a Camelback type system to stay hydrated. Ice is free at fast food places - get a large lemonade and top off the camelbacks w ice and lemonade.

Gloves - take several pairs so you'll always have a dry pair.

Wear sythentic base layers, do not wear cotton. Included is the strong suggestion to wear synthetic wicking underwear - Aerostich offers some at a good price. Good wicking socks in your boots will halp a lot.

I like the Bead rider on the Kbike seats for comfort - combined with the Aerostich underwear you can handle long hot days easily.

Take sunscreen - back of your neck and wrists can get badly burned before you know it.

Take a fairly comprehensive repair kit and spare parts inc a fuel filter, plugs, spare clutch cable - I'm sure others will have additional suggestions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
mix match tires & tyres

I've heard some of the Best tire combinations resulted with mix matched brands. I won a Bridgestone once rode a mix for a while and bought the mate a year later, no noticable issues. The dual compound Bridgestone tires provided excellent traction early in it's life and wore well as advertised, with notably less grip later in it's life. I'm running Avon Tyres right now, happy with the rear but the front has problems. Out of Pirelli, Dunlop and Bridgestone, the stone's wore the longest. My Avon front might not stay on long enough to actually wear out and I was thinking about replacing that with a Lasertec.
...on K100RS

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
I've mixed tires quite a few times and have never had an issue. Even with a cheap Chinese tire which was the only thing I could find in nowhere Montana.

I tried the BS Spitfires on a K75S I brought back to life and flipped last year year. I rode it to the buyer in Sacramento from Seattle (taking the LONG route down the Cascades) and they performed quite well. Definitely a good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
FD.... Bet you loved that trip. In the fall it is awesome to zig-zag the from HWY97 into the Wilamette Valley and back and see all the trees chainging colors. There is soooooo much beautiful country to ride in out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go to Victoria, B.C, this year in late spring by HWY101 and ferry. Or, do I waite just a bit later into June and ride from Corvallis to Baker City by back roads then up to Joseph, Oregon and back out to Leavenworth, Washington with a final stop on Whidbey Island to see my sister and brother-in-law. Just too many choices of fun and beautiful trips.

Headed to Baker City on the RS this week to see my friends out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WayneDW said:
Sounds like a great trip. I hope you are giving yourselves a few weeks to do all this. It is a very ambitious itinerary.

I'm K75 owner in Minneapolis as well. (South Mpls).
As for time, we're planning it to be 4 weeks. Hopefully that's enough time to enjoy ourselves and not feel rushed!?!?!

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
75RT said:
Metzler 880/88 is what I use. I get 10-12,000 miles on rear and 18-20,000 front.
I've always been afan of Metzleres.

h 50 on th bck ndt me-99 or reent itertion for thefront
The stick well , re ggod in th rain an las a wile

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
teutonic9 said:
As for time, we're planning it to be 4 weeks. Hopefully that's enough time to enjoy ourselves and not feel rushed!?!?!
That should be fine. Just how I do long trips but I don't plan too hard ahead of time. I have a general idea of where I want to go but stop every day at a public library(I use my netbook these days) to check weather forecasts and reroute for avoiding/minimizing riding in the rain.

Go to the tourism site for each state and request a free map. Only CA seems to be stingy in that regard.

I also avoid putting in lots of miles on holiday weekends due to traffic. Or just hole up somewhere over the weekend since it can be hard to find a campground.

If you can, ride Highway 1 in California before school lets out. Regardless, plan to ride Highway 1 Mon-Thu for less traffic.

If you haven't already, try taking a few 3 day rides to figure out what you really need to take.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've done a couple long trips on K Bikes. I used Dunlop 491 on the rear and Metzler Marathon ME 880 on the front down to Panama and made it the entire trip 10,000+ miles would have gone a bit farther. Now running the ME 880 front and back don't notice too much difference from the mismatched riding. I'd say it really depends on how much cash you want to drop, but personally i always us the premium tires for these long trips. Never had a flat, never any screwiness that you sometimes run into.

I never had a gps down to Panama, but had one for Quebec, its actually took a bit of stress away of knowing how far a given point is. So again, depends on how you want to ride.

As far as other things, I used a throttle rocker/boss on the long trips as days of long rides did a number on my right wrist. Packing light is a help, be surprised how little you need. Keep a camera handy while riding cause its nice to just point and shoot at stuff from the saddle without fumbling through a tank bag or whatever.

You probably know about advrider.com and horizon unlimited but lots of info on their as well. There might be a meeting somewhere at the time your going through which is always great fun.

Great country to ride, kinda jealous as I haven't done the west on motorcycle yet. Also you might consider dipping into Mexico if you feel up to it. Pretty easy to get in and out, not as dangerous as they make out, cheap, and beautiful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next question...

What about 1 piece suits on a long trip like this? Any recommendations in the sub-$500 category? It's just not reality for me to spend $800-$1200 for top of the line.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your thinking is skewed by your present Minnesota winter. For a spring/early summer ride you need maximum flexibility to make adjustments for a wide range of conditions through take a piece off here, add another here.

My gear is probably outdated: I have a Firstgear Kilamanjaro suit with liners for both jacket and pants. I ride with that in weather that ranges from high 90's and no humidity to spring snow in Utah. High temps: vents and zippers open (and when it's close to 100 maybe a cheap evaporative vest underneath) along with wicking underwear; rain or snow, everything zipped up, liners in. If I adjusted all the vents appropriately, I was never uncomfortable.

(BTW, born in Bismarck to parents from St. Cloud, raised in Wisconsin, and down in the desert since 1972)

Larry Johnson
El Paso
K12LT
K11LT (2)
K75$T

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
The K75 should be fine. Buddy has one and he treats it like crap and it looks like it too. Never has failed him nor has it ever seen the iside of a BMW shop since new either as he just does oil and filter changes from AutoZone or PepBoys when he feels like it. It has over 130K miles on it now and never adjusted the valves or anything. Paints damages with a paint brush and "It's sort-of-close" paint. Changes his own tires too. It's his "Go to work" bike.

He is also responsible for me getting into BMW lineup by assuring me on "How trouble free they are." Unfortunately, mine (later models) spend a lot of time in various shops for issues and maybe I baby and pamper them too much.

Go for it! I'd be more hesitant on one of their later model bikes by making sure I had $2,000 for tows and motels. Maybe another $2,000 for parts too.

Mack

·
Registered
153 Posts
"Any recommendations in the sub-$500 category?"

Hey, over priced gear is way over rated. Better to ride cheap than not go. The Bionic Freckle and I have rain pants from Wal-Mart, rain coats on clearance at the sporting goods, and that's about our whole wet and cold weather garb. You put a couple layers under a rain coat and you are warm as toast. That doesn't prevent us from taking 2,000 mile trips several times a year. We've ridden in monsoons to flurries and loved it. Hell, it's snow and sleet outside here today, and yet I rode to the office with no more than a cast off ski jacket, cowboy boots, 20 year old ski gloves, and rain pants. All the beemeristas I know spend ten times what we do, yet we ride ten times what they do. Don't worry. Have an adventure. It all counts for fun.

Here's a real useful low cost foul weather tip: Carry a deck of cards. Gets too bad, just hole up somewhere and continue your cribbage tournament. First wife and I traveled a year in Mexico that way. Great times. Woulda missed a lot of great people if we hadn't holed up from time to time. There is no law that says you are required to conquer time, place, weather, and circumstance.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Clothing

eBay it. IMHO you can get some real value there. There are lots of barely worn top of the line items esp for your GF. Guys buy gear for their SO, and it never gets used. :boom:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great info!

Thanks for all the advice. I'm also planning on getting an iPhone bar-mount case so as to use my GPS. I've seen the Biologic bar-mount waterproof iPhone mount online. Gets mixed reviews. Anyone use one? Or other suggestions. I currently have an iPhone bar-mounted holder but it's not waterproof. Works great! Just need something to deal with the elements.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts