Votes: 19 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 63 76.8%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes. :boom: 2009 K1300GT. 22,000 miles. 5 years old. Out of warranty. $2,000 out of pocket.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As of yesterday I need to change my vote to a yes. :(

2008 K1200GT, 39,000 Kms. Bearing went out yesterday on a day trip out to Radium BC. Had to rent a U-Haul to bring it home. Pulled the FD off and stripped it apart last night, bearing was totally shot. Now I just need to get the parts hopefully in stock at the dealer so it can all go back together before next weekend. We are (were) planning to leave for a 12 day tour down to Colorado and New Mexico next Sunday.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ed, if you have time during your repair, a few pictures along the way and tools/techniques required would be nice to see. I have my failed final drive parts from my replacement and am considering repairing it either for my future need or to offer to others.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll try to get some photos as I continue on with it. I got it all tore apart and all the parts were in stock at the dealer yesterday. I did have to fabricate some pieces to adapt a bearing puller to work for the flange removal. I'll also need to manufacture the tool for pressing the hub assembly back into the bearing. I will not need to worry about the flange install as I talked to the dealer about the recall and will drop the reassembled FD with them to install the new steel flange. My aluminum flange is not cracked, but the spacer ring did get chewed up with the bearing so I would have needed to buy that part otherwise. It comes with the new flange, so a bit of cost saving there at least.

·
Registered
9 Posts
'09 K1300GT at 25K miles. I noted some play in the FD but no operating issues. Had the crown bearing replaced by an independent shop. The bearing was intact, no metal debris in the oil, but the races appeared worn. I still have a slight bit of play, but haven't put a dial indicator on it yet. BMW says .5mm is within spec. Got a feeling I'll be dealing with this again sometime. Next time I may ship it to Anton Lagardier for a proper repair. Reluctant to go for a fleabay purchase, not knowing if the available FD's have the same issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, this whole mess took a bad turn when I discovered that the bearing failure had caused the inner race to slip on the shaft and cause wear. The new bearing was a slip fit onto the shaft. I went ahead and put it together along with a used flange with a good slip ring since the dealer would not install the new flange after all without the entire bike. They did give a good used flange they had taken off so I could at least use the bike for my trip.

Well, the trip went well, but by the time I got home, there was considerable play in the rear drive again. The thing that was though, it was still dead smooth with no roughness. Upon dis-assembly again today, I found that the shaft continued to wear down and had become very loose in the bearing, the bearing itself was actually still smooth and tight. Now it seems I'm in for a whole new final drive as it appears that BMW does not sell just the gear-set any longer and the axle is integral to the crown gear.

:boom:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ed,

Sorry to hear about the outcome. When my bearing failed, the dealer suspected axle damage was possible/likely and why the were recommending replacement rather than repair.

I'm still hanging onto my used/damaged one to see if it might be useful for more than scrap metal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for sharing

Ed and Eric:

Had same problem it seems. Grease all over the rear disc and wheel. Dealer says it's the bearing, and as you both found out - whole new differential at prices you found. It only has 30K as well. REALLY hope the replacement is better / lasts forever.

Makes me want to get out of BMW's, and I've had them for almost 40 years. Older ones seem to hold up better.

Appreciate the knowledge you shared. Ed, was feeling hopeful and impressed reading your story, then got to the bad parts ;(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have a final drive failure, 45K on the clock. Haven't pulled it out yet, I have enough bikes to keep me mobile, but need to get to this. I suspect bearing failure. Grease and oil all over brake disc and wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes. I was quoted 1500.00 for the drive shaft alone, and a one month wait for the part to come from Germany. I found a good used one on eBay for 88.00 US. The total bill with new OEM parts would have been around 3350.00

·
Registered
8 Posts
How does anyone afford to ride these inferior bikes? Get a Kawasaki, Honda or Suzuki and ride forever. What was I thinking. The dealer here in Chattanooga is a joke to beat all. Well, in my around the US trip, I found 0 dealers that would get off their money weighted glutes and help with a simple handling problem. "I don't know." I'm done....

·
Registered
7 Posts
CRIPES A'Mighty Preventative Maint. BACKSTORY Please!

Has your BMW suffered Final Drive failure ?
Yes. :boom: 2009 K1300GT. 22,000 miles. 5 years old. Out of warranty. $2,000 out of pocket.
As of yesterday I need to change my vote to a yes. :(

2008 K1200GT, 39,000 Kms. Bearing went out yesterday on a day trip out to Radium BC. Had to rent a U-Haul to bring it home. Pulled the FD off and stripped it apart last night, bearing was totally shot. Now I just need to get the parts hopefully in stock at the dealer so it can all go back together before next weekend. We are (were) planning to leave for a 12 day tour down to Colorado and New Mexico next Sunday.
'09 K1300GT at 25K miles. I noted some play in the FD but no operating issues. Had the crown bearing replaced by an independent shop. The bearing was intact, no metal debris in the oil, but the races appeared worn. I still have a slight bit of play, but haven't put a dial indicator on it yet. BMW says .5mm is within spec. Got a feeling I'll be dealing with this again sometime. Next time I may ship it to Anton Lagardier for a proper repair. Reluctant to go for a fleabay purchase, not knowing if the available FD's have the same issue.
I too have a final drive failure, 45K on the clock. Haven't pulled it out yet, I have enough bikes to keep me mobile, but need to get to this. I suspect bearing failure. Grease and oil all over brake disc and wheel.
I had the final drive replaced at 32k miles. I'm almost to 40k now and haven't experienced any issues.
Yes. I was quoted 1500.00 for the drive shaft alone, and a one month wait for the part to come from Germany. I found a good used one on eBay for 88.00 US. The total bill with new OEM parts would have been around 3350.00
:surprise CRIPES A'MIGHTY Mates! Did these BAD TIDINGS come upon you EVEN WITH the BMW recommended F/D lube services? Please share some of your back-story on these bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought I 2003 K1200GT with 43,400 miles on it. I was noticing a vibration when steady cruising or coasting that I felt in the seat but not in the handle bars. I thought maybe it was the drive shaft or final drive. Tonight I put the motorcycle on its center stand and rocked the rear wheel from the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and felt at least a mm or more of play. I guess that's my vibration I'm feeling. From what I read here I don't have complete failure yet, but definitely an issue to deal with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has your BMW suffered Final Drive failure ?
yes, at 40,000 miles about 4 years ago. While on tour in Colorado (I live in Ohio). Had heard bad things about the FD failures by then. Bike (2008 K12GT) was 6 months and 4K miles past warranty. BMW would not participate in repair cost. So I had CO dealer put in NEW FD, total cost $3000. then I pleaded with BMW NA and they offered me $500 if I would never tell anybody about the failure. I said " kiss my a$$ and keep your money". so here i am telling you about the failure and also telling you why you may not hear about more failures in early years. some folks will take the payoff and clam up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No. 42K+ miles on my '10 K1300GT.
Great post!
Is it me, or did the responses dry up when the hard question was asked? Is it fear of embarrassment or hush money?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too

I had the final drive of my 2004 GS fail at 60k km. I had to replace it at a cost of $2000! That caused me to question my BMW loyalty.
I replaced the GS at 80k with a 2013 BMW K1300r with 15k km on it. At 45000km I had the rear drive fail. This time the wheel was fairly loose on the swing arm and the rear of the bike, brakes etc were covered in oil. Luckily I was nearly home and didn’t crash with my greasy oily tire. On disassembly the large sealed bearing had collapsed destroying everything inside the drive.
Luckily I was able to get access to the BMW factory tools and needed parts. All up repair was $500. That was the end of me and my BMW relationship. It seems even $500 will get me a couple of chain sets and I believe 60k km is not unusual for 1 chain set.
I believe the shaft drive is an answer to a problem that has been irrelevant since the advent of “O” ring chain and I am well and truly done with the German brand

Michael

·
Registered
79 Posts
No - 2008 k1200R 63000 miles. I still have the original outer oil seal. I have changed the final drive oil once and am about to do it again. I’ve been using 80-140 full synthetic as opposed to BMW’s recommendation

1 - 19 of 19 Posts