BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

How many miles did your stock ESA shocks last before needing replacement? (GT/S/RT)

• 0-10k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10k-15k miles

• 15k-20k miles

• 20k-25k miles

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • 25k-30k miles

• 30k-35k miles

• 35k-40k miles

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 40k-45k miles

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 45k-50k miles

• 50k+ miles

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a re-post but I've searched without finding an answer to this question. if your ESA shocks are still OK please don't vote.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Has anyone replaced their ESA shocks yet?

I know you can get the factory units for a lot of $$, but I've also heard that Works has replacement shocks, but that they need to steal some of the ESA parts off your old shocks. I don't know of anyone who has gone either route yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been surprised at the lack of discussion on this issue. With most GT riders racking up lots of miles, there should be lots of 06 bikes out there with 20-30k+ miles on them and presumably needing new shocks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
eyesurgeon said:
I've been surprised at the lack of discussion on this issue. With most GT riders racking up lots of miles, there should be lots of 06 bikes out there with 20-30k+ miles on them and presumably needing new shocks.

My 06 has 33,000 miles on it and the shocks are just fine! I have no idea how long they will last.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Somewhere around 50 or 60 thousand the old RT started to feel a bit mushy, but then I got the dealer quote for replacement and decided that it felt just fine! :teeth

This bike? Who knows? It's such a gradual thing that I don't think most of us notice it too much unless we get on a new bike after ours has 50k or so.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
Meese said:
Has anyone replaced their ESA shocks yet?

I know you can get the factory units for a lot of $$, but I've also heard that Works has replacement shocks, but that they need to steal some of the ESA parts off your old shocks. I don't know of anyone who has gone either route yet.
The Works info is in the HoW.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Don't look at me. My LT went 85K on the stock shocks. They were completely shot, but as mentioned it's kind of a gradual thing. :)

Talk to me again when I get 50 or 60K on the GT. That oughta be sometime this summer. :D

·
Let's Ride
218 Posts
I replaced mine somewhere between 3k to 6k under warranty. Now I have over 30k on the replacements with no problems.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Replaced under warranty - I was not sure was it an oil from the shock on it or from road or from the previous change. So wasn't my dealer. 35000 km/22000kmi.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I figure as the shock wears I can just put in in 'sport' and pretend like it's 'normal'. Can't spell worth a darn anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Replaced my ESA shocks with Wilburs

My ESA shocks started to soften significantly after 36,000 miles. I ordered custom built Wilbur shocks (Non ESA, they don't make ESA replacements) from Ted Porters Beemer Shop in Scotts Valley California. Ted took about 45 minutes explaining the difference between the Ohlins and Wilburs. He showed me a set of Works shock and I was not impressed with the quality or workmanship. There really is no such thing as custom Ohlins from the factory they just use stock parts and assemble the shock with springs for your weight. Don't bother flaming me, Ohlins are great shocks they just are a notch or two below the Wilburs. I have had Ohlins before and they are great replacements for stock shocks but just are not built to spec. like the Wilburs are. The Wilburs are custom built to my weight, weight of the bike, my preferred riding style and they are valved and sprung accordingly. After the Beemer Shop installed them we measured the bike for static sag and it was dead on right from the factory, I have since put in one click in the front for rebound and one full turn of preload in the rear and that is it. They are absolutely flawless shocks. My K12S handles better, is lighter (Hey every little bit helps) and I am one very happy camper. When the Wilburs need to be rebuilt I can put the ESA shocks back on while the Wilburs are out to the factory. It doesn't get any better than that. :clap:

Cheers!

Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts