BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance for the long post -

A little background here – I thought I had closed a deal on a ’03 RS with only 4K miles on it and, as a final condition for the sale, was going to take it to Blue Moon Cycle in Atlanta for a mechanical inspection before purchasing. What I thought would be a formality turned out to be just the opposite. Due to the bike setting idle for extended periods of time, several of the seals had dried out, resulting on the following observations and resultant repair estimates by Blue Moon –

The front cover gasket is leaking – estimate to repair - $350
The rear main is leaking - $800
The rear shock is leaking (really bad – fluid was running along the top of the swingarm by the time I got there – about a 175 mile ride) - $850
The output shaft seal is leaking - $25 (low price due to them already in there repairing real main)

Blue Moon recommends the shock and rear main (and output shaft seal) be addressed immediately, while the front cover gasket, while a nuisance, could wait.

I am going back to the seller tomorrow to see if he will lower price to cover the repairs. If not, I feel at this point I will void the deal, but would like some input before doing so.

I have been reading this board for the past few weeks, getting valuable insight into K1200 ownership and issues with the bike and have appreciated everyone's willingness to share.

So the question I have is - should I get these issues repaired and have a great, low mileage bike or is this just the “tip of the iceberg” and this bike will just be a constant money pit (due to the aforementioned idleness affecting other areas in time)? I am again seeking the group’s “wisdom” on this.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Farley
Montgomery, AL

·
Registered
212 Posts
Walk Away Or Not: I'd Walk, Quickly

If I had the option to void the deal I would. Just not worth the pain and the uncertainty. I love my '03 K1200rs it's been very dependable, and a joy to drive.

Go back to square one and keep your eyes peeled for a cream puff.

Steve

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, my 03 GT came to me with 16000 miles and, apart from a rear seal replacement ($50 or so), the bikes is i superb condition. Your list of problems sounds suspicious, and with only 4k on the clock, the bikes is hardly run-in.

Nope, I would void this one and keep looking.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I replaced (under warranty at about 16K miles) all those seals that you mentioned. As far as I know, the leaking seals are a known problem. I didn't know mine were leaking until the dealer told me so maybe your seller didn't realize it either. Mine only had a few drops of oil in the bellypan.
I would ask the seller to get it fixed at a dealer and then decide to buy it if you want to or just pass on it. I'd let HIM/HER get it fixed just in case there is something else that needs fixing once the dealer opens it. After the fixes, it's probably a good deal on the bike.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The current owner will probably not deal with you very much in hopes of getting the most out of it he can, but if he does then you may want to consider the deal. If you do get all those things fixed then odds are you will never have to worry about them. However, don't do the deal unless the seller will discount the bike by the cost of the repairs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Those issues do not indicate any other fundamental problems.

I think you are in the best possible situation. If the seller will accommodate the repairs you will end up with a great bike that has been gone through throughly. That is a good deal. If he will not absorb all or most of the repair costs- walk.

There are a good number of low mileage units available within a days ride/drive of Atlanta. I say you should get on the computer and get the facts of the market.

shop ebay/craigslist/ and all the BMW shops you can find, plus the on-line classified sections fo the major newspapers in your shopping range. That is what I did and It saved me several thousand dollars.

If you strike-out send me a PM, I know of a really great RS but it is in Colorado...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Update – wound up taking the bike back (seller is going to take to auction in ATL next month). Seller did not want to take any off for repairs. I was uncomfortable taking all the risk. Oh well….I’ll keep looking. Thanks to all for your inputs…really appreciate it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Though 'low mileage' is an eye catcher the chance of these problems arising (dried out seals) are greater than with a slightly higher mileage bike that has been taken care of by the owner. I purchased a 1999 K12rs that has 22k on it. The owner babied this bike and all the maintenance had been done. With the bike you are considering, you will be looking at the 6k service and shortly thereafter the 12k.

Food for thought

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
new owner bummed

I would definitely pass on this one. Sounds like it has been sitting for too long. I found a 99 in April of 2006 with 22K on it and could not be happier. It now has over 36K and has had no seal problems or leaks of any kind.
One of the things that sold me on this bike was the fact that most of the folks on this site said 20K is the break-in point to start running synthetic oil in these engines. As already stated, ther are lots of great used bikes out there for sale, don't be afraid of 15 or 20K on the clock if the owner can validate the maintenance records.
Check out the link below for a great list of used bikes.

http://www.ibmwr.org/

My $0.02
Allen

·
Registered
13 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but it kind of fits in with a situation I'm in at the moment. I'm considering to buy an 03KGT with just over 5000 miles. A five year old bike with so few miles on it must sit idle for long periods of time right? The bike is on consignment at a dealer in AL, and I live in MN. I spoke to a sales person over the phone about the bike, who of course said it was A-OK. Its a one owner bike, and the owner bought the bike from the dealer that now has it on consingment. Its already had the 6K maintenance, and apparently had one warranty claim a number of years ago relating to fuel lines, and the gas tank was replaced. There are no open recalls as well.

I love the low miles...heck its barely out of the crate. It would be like getting a new bike at half price. But do you think there will be potential issues with the various seals? I don't plan on flying to AL to check it out. The bike is reasonably priced. Should I buy it and hope there are no major issues?

Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
142 Posts
MNCruiser said:
I realize this is an old thread, but it kind of fits in with a situation I'm in at the moment. I'm considering to buy an 03KGT with just over 5000 miles. A five year old bike with so few miles on it must sit idle for long periods of time right? The bike is on consignment at a dealer in AL, and I live in MN. I spoke to a sales person over the phone about the bike, who of course said it was A-OK. Its a one owner bike, and the owner bought the bike from the dealer that now has it on consingment. Its already had the 6K maintenance, and apparently had one warranty claim a number of years ago relating to fuel lines, and the gas tank was replaced. There are no open recalls as well.

I love the low miles...heck its barely out of the crate. It would be like getting a new bike at half price. But do you think there will be potential issues with the various seals? I don't plan on flying to AL to check it out. The bike is reasonably priced. Should I buy it and hope there are no major issues?

Thanks for your advice
For me? I'd look for one less expensive, well maintained, with 15, 20K miles on it. Take the $1500 you'll save and put a set of ohlins on it and DRIVE!

·
Registered
48 Posts
There could be several good reasons the previous owner did not put more miles on the bike. I remember when I went from the LT to the RS I wondered if I had gotten a machine that was way more than I could handle, the power and acceleration. The bike requires self discipline. He may never have gotten comfortable with those aspects of that bike and for some folks the riding position is not their cup of tea, though I think it is perfect.

You mention Half-Price so are we talking over 8K or Less. As Dave suggests you can find really good bikes for less than 8K, heck point it out to the dealer. Ofcourse he already knows this but may not know you know it.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It would be an interesting poll as to which bikes developed oil leaks, high mileage bikes or low mileage bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I realize there are good used bikes out there with relatively low miles. However, I'm not interested in an RS or an LT or an R1150RT. I have pretty much decided that the KGT is what I want, and we all know there aren't any GTs out there that are older than 03. If there's a KGT with 15 to 20K miles out there for $7,500, that's not a salvage bike, I hope I find it. As it is NADA shows the average retail price for an 03 KGT at around $9K. NADA also shows the suggested list for the 03 was $17,990 when it was new, and the MSRP for a new 07 is $18,600. So in my view, $9000 for an 03 with 5000 miles is a very reasonable deal...assuming that its not a POS, or that it won't cost me a grand to replace seals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MNCruiser said:
I realize there are good used bikes out there with relatively low miles. However, I'm not interested in an RS or an LT or an R1150RT. I have pretty much decided that the KGT is what I want, and we all know there aren't any GTs out there that are older than 03. If there's a KGT with 15 to 20K miles out there for $7,500, that's not a salvage bike, I hope I find it. As it is NADA shows the average retail price for an 03 KGT at around $9K. NADA also shows the suggested list for the 03 was $17,990 when it was new, and the MSRP for a new 07 is $18,600. So in my view, $9000 for an 03 with 5000 miles is a very reasonable deal...assuming that its not a POS, or that it won't cost me a grand to replace seals.

No point in asking anyone here for an opinion, sounds like you've already made up your mind!

So go and buy it and enjoy a great bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well, here i am again...commenting on this post several months later. My earlier comment/reply was in reference to searching high/low for other deals...because they are out there. The bike I purchased was an incredible deal...so i thought. It was/is in mint condition however I just noticed some oil leaking from the engine. I took it into the dealership and learned that my front and rear seals were leaking....an incredibly expensive fix as stated by the person initiating this post. Did the owner know about this when he sold it to me. Who knows....I'm now stuck with the problem and now have to fix it. Moral to the story...when you buy used, you never know what you are getting. It could be the perfect bike when you buy it and several months later you may be puting a ton of cash into repairs. OR, you may be lucky and not have any problems. I think the common theme is that the K12RS have known problems that have/or will arise with ownership. It sucks that this is the case when you have Japanese bike (which I will probably never own) that don't have such common issues. With that said, you never know what you are getting when buying used.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
That's what I might have thought a few years back, but here you read of new bikes still in warranty that need fixing. That is even more worrying, because you have this feeling that with all the $$'s you sunk into the bike, on the one hand you are lucky somebody else is taking care of the problem, but on the other it could be you some K miles down the road. And if a bike can't be reliable so soon after leaving the factory, what chances are you taking with a dealership, unless failed parts have been redesigned or assembly methods rewritten

I've got a much older KRS I service myself. I take the view that it didn't cost $$'s to buy it and one day (like last year!) I will replace all the seals and be a bit more confident it will run at least the same sort of mileage until the next time.

However, I'd much rather ride a brand that just needed tires/batteries/fluids/bulbs and affordable routine service. That was pretty much my last bike a Kawasaki, but it was boring to ride, the frame paint flaked off and it lacked 'character'.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts