BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the PC installed (base map). I have only taken the bike up to fill the tank so I haven't put it through its paces yet in the upper end but I can tell right off the bat that the low speed maneuvering is hell of a lot smoother. Lurching or surging is gone. Before I could mitigate it with clutch but now it seems I don't have to :clap:
I also bought some Rigid D2s and LumaLink T-link brackets. All I can say is they are bright as heck. I'm not sure I will be able to use them as night driving lights. My son and I spent a while out in the street readjusting and switching towels around to try to get them in a good spot. They are down on the road but they still throw a good amount of light everywhere.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Think maybe you could post some directions on your install and how/what you did?

Thanks -- Bobby

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The harness itself is plug and play which is misleading. The install is labor intensive-my advice, if you're not very comfortable with wrenching on these things, let a shop or someone who is do it. With that said, I thought the worst part was messing with the BMW reusable clamps on the air stacks. These require a special set of pliers that remove and reinstall them. No, these aren't the same as those "permanent" crimp clamps. I managed to get the hang of them using long handled needle-nose pliers. But they were a b!#*&.

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/937/install/411/eng937-411.pdf

I am now in the process of looking up custom maps. I may also just take it to the shop with a dyno and let them custom tune it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Growler48 said:
So, the PC for the S works just fine on the GT? Didn't see that on their website.

Yes, the S and R is the same and also used on the GT.
part # 937-411

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you go with the PC-V and the auto tune?
if so I have a good map you can start with on your GT.
I worked on it for about 2 months stopped stalling issue that almost got me killed mulitple times and got all the bilps out of the throtle under 3500rpm. (2006 GT)
Unfortunatly just as I got her were I loved it she got written of in an accident. I have a 2008 now, Thank god ...so far this bike runs like a charm.
Kevin
Good luck with yours

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the PCIII (USB).
I had heard BMW worked out a large portion of the early fuel issues from 06, that's probably why you notice your 08 is a lot better. For starters I just used the map Power Commander had for a K&N filter and a pipe. I only have the filter but it seems like a good place to start. There is a noticeable BETTER difference in how mine behaves now. I wish I could find a good source of custom maps people put together.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not quite sure yet. My dash says is saying the same as before but I changed the map mid tank. I did think the fuel light came on a little earlier than I'm used to. I finally just filled it with 6 gallons...so the gauge and miles til empty were correct. I will update ya after this tank.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bmeaden said:
hello, hows the mpg,

thx bill
Just returned from a 900 mile weekend up to the mountains...
I barely see much difference. One mpg less using cruise on the highway (75ish). Probably a bit more in the twisties. It is SO nice to come off the highway and into the curves with no more surging/launching that felt like the bike wanted to go off the side of the mountain :yeow: It's just smooooth power :clap:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Moymurfs, a little off the subject but did you get a trailer hitch made for your GT
yet? If you did how about adding a pic.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to my computer the avg is 46.1 mpg.

As for the trailer mount the answer is no. I have the metal in which to fab it but since the wife is not a rider all my camping stuff fits on the bike so I really don't have a need for one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Off subject

I have an incredable tralor hitch if you want I'll get a few pics for you. My son (Mechanical Engineer ) designed it and a buddy built it. I tow a unigo trailor it's great.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
K1200GTDallas said:
How do you guys get 46.1 mpg on your K Bikes!! I rarely see 40 let alone 46. My trip computer consistently says 38.5 on the highway at 80mph.
Here are my thoughts:

* Are you aggressive on the throttle?
Or do you roll it on smoothly and accelerate like your grandmother in her car?

* Is there a significant mix of urban riding that you are not accounting for?
Downtown Dallas vs. the open Interstate?

* Have you tried riding at lower speeds?
I see significant drops in MPG at higher speeds. It may be hard to ride slowly across Texas, but see what your mileage does at 65 mph vs 80, or even 55 mph vs. 80 mph. Wind drag increases with the square of your speed. At 80 mph, you will see a noticeable drop in fuel economy compared with lower speeds. I am always surprised at how much better fuel economy I get when I ride the twisties compared with the open Interstate. I assume that it is due to the reduced speeds.

* Do you have any mileage-sucking accessories?
My large Aeroflow windscreen and Aerogards are great at creating a silent air pocket and keeping the air flow off my body. They are great to have for riding in the cold, but they reduce my fuel economy by several miles per gallon.

* Do you sit up or tuck in?
It sounds like a dumb question, but when I first bought my K1200GT, I tried both riding positions while on long rides (stock K1200GT at the time). Dropping the stock windscreen all the way down and tucking in behind it (looking through the windscreen) made a difference of 1-2 MPG. Really. (I also learned that the discomfort of tucking in was not worth it in fuel savings or extra range.

* Are you looking at MPG reports from the UK?
Their UK (Imperial) gallon is 20% larger than our US gallon, but their mile is the same as ours. (Of course they pay more than twice as much as we do for fuel, however you measure it.)

How do I know all this? Because I keep detailed written records - a small notebook on the bike, and a spreadsheet at home. My father was obsessive/compulsive about keeping written records, and forced me to do it (with his cars) until it became habit.

Be a scientist and run your own tests. Reset the Average MPG on your bike computer while riding. Reset it, then ride some miles to see what it does under different conditions (windscreen up vs. down, etc.). Change only one thing at a time. The real problem is riding under identical conditions. Small, imperceptible slopes, headwind differences, etc. can affect your results significantly. Repeat the tests many time until you get a feel for how much each change impacts your fuel economy. It is only a rough estimate, but it helps to know. That's what I did.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just walked in the door from a 700 mile weekend. Got 50 mpg on the way up (cruise set on 78, no real headwind and light traffic). I was actually surprised to see the computer hit it perfectly with the exact amount of fuel replaced when I filled up. I'm usually easy on the throttle until I need it to get away from positions in traffic that aren't in my best interest.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I just wanted to add two items to my list above:

* There is a difference between mileage as reported by the KGT's computer and your actual mileage. In general, the computer is optimistic by a couple MPG, but on rare occasions it reads lower than actual mileage.

* I posted a detailed spreadsheet with years of mileage (and other) K1200GT data. The most recent spreadsheet can be found in post #53:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13211

1 - 18 of 18 Posts