BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 K1300S
2 weeks ago on my last Sunday ride, bike ran great for first half of ride. Then, when accelerating out of turn, a had a "flat spot" in the throttle at around 6k rpm in 3rd gear. I backed off immediately. Tested 2 more times, flat spot was around 6500. Rode home carefully. I first thought it was my clutch going bad. Took to my BMW dealer the next Wed. On the way i tested again. This time flat spot moved to aound 8k rpm, and this time i closely watched the rpm. No slippage, just a flat spot/dead zone, so that ruled out the clutch. Sadly and disappointedly, my dealer was in process of going OOB. Couldn't leave the bike, but the SM did take it on a test ride. The SM took the bike out, agreed that it wasn't the clutch. Sooo...
I started calling around to other BMW shops. There's really only two within 50 miles. First shop wanted to start with removing everything Power Commander. About a 3+ hour job at $105/hour. Yes, it could be the PC5 with Autotune, but it could just be bad fuel, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, bad coilpack, loose spark plug, bad spark plug wires... I didn't like the fact that they wanted to start off removing something that was costly just to get to. Second dealer Mancuso Power Sports SW, simply stated that they didn't work on anything over 10 years old, period.

So, flat/dead spot during acceleration that begun at 6k, moved to 8k, then 9k. No remote gas stations, but bad gas is always a possibility.

I'm not against removing the whole PC setup, but I'd sure like to know that it's going to fix the problem first.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2009 K1300GT
21 Posts
Some questions to clarify what you're noticing: does the behavior change with outside or engine temperature? By flat spot, did it feel like it hesitated at those RPM and then continue to accelerate, or feel like once you hit that spot that was it? I would lean towards a fuel delivery issue, ie the pump. Did the bike receive a new fuel pump with the fuel tank seal recall? I bought my K13GT with a seized pump and replacement isn't difficult. The filter is sitting pretty close to the bottom of the tank attached to the pump intake. Mine had very little residue in the whole tank, but gave me the opportunity to wipe it clean.

A bad coil would be lead to loss of power all the time. There's no real way for a spark plug to loosen once installed correctly as the coil is snapped directly to it, so no spark plug wire other than the control wire to the coil.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,333 Posts
First off dealers are starting that line about 10 years old. K1300S last issue was 2016 so it is still a viable bike. Are they going to tell someone with a 2016 motosport it is too old? My first thought reading this is fuel supply. Filter screen troubles? Next is ignition coils. But with aftermarket computer control I don't know what else to say. It is an expensive bike to trouble shoot as everything is tucked in like a submarine. (you spend two hours removing things in the way for one hour work) It is general policy to remove aftermarket things like your Power Commander and then start trouble shooting so that one shop was going down my path.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ND4S,

A Power Commander on this bike is not a good idea as these bikes BMS units are temperamental.

Additionally, valves like to bend and Cams are inadvertently damaged. That's if your lucky not to destroy the Piston..... Valve Guides must be manufactured at a machine shop as BMW wants to sell you the entire Head!

So, grab a Thermal IR temperature scanner and make sure all 4 cylinders are at similar operating temperatures. Yes, these bikes can run on only 3 cylinders, and will give you only a mild hint of an afterfire.

Remove the Power Commander and check base platform for Latest Update!

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Myriding buddy had exactly the same problem except the flat spot was at around 6 k revs consistently. It was not there if he went through the revs gently but with spirited acceleration it died and then revved up again. Foolishly he had a power commander fitted and with the dyno piwer was increased to around 190 hp but the problem still remained. I say foolishly because if there were issues with the fueling system hardware the power commander was never going to work. He ended up taking to a bmw dealership who could not isolate the problem. They corresponded with bmw germany who were also unhelpful. So all of the fueling system was replaced which solved the problem but they don’t know why. $3700AUD ($1300AUD for power commander and dyno) later it goes like it always should’ve. The power commander has not been re fitted at this stage. Good luck on your search. The truth is out there

Reactions: Beech
1 - 7 of 7 Posts